Wifi connection problem

tbever

Reaction score
My Verizon nexus is having problems establishing and maintaining a wifi connection. First 2 days it was fine. Now it will state that it is connected via wifi and gives an IP address but the wifi indicator is grayed out (with 4 or 5 wifi bars ) and it will not receive any data. I have 2 different routers; same issue with both. Security is WPA2 PSK, and the correct password is entered. All other wifi devices on the network work fine. Both are Linksys routers (54G flashed the most current firmware). When I turn wifi off and then on again, the wifi indicator will briefly turn blue when I turn wifi on, but will gray out again within a second or two. Airplane mode on/off does not help. I have powered the phone on/off etc with no help. I have tried forcing the 2.4 mhz vs 5 mhz selection and that does not help. I am not going to flash anything since I don't want to screw up the warranty if I have to return it.

The 3G and 4G data seems to be fine. I have unlimited data so I don't mind that much but I do want to be able to use wifi.

There is a thread on XDA-developers forum describing this but I wondered it anyone else here has noticed it here.

Two Major Issues with teh Galaxy Nexus: Wifi drops and multitouch failing at times - xda-developers

OP
tbever

tbever

Reaction score
Sorry to reply to my own post, but I found someone with an identical problem on Android forums as well, with no solution. This is exactly the issue I am having. Maybe linksys routers don't play well with Gnex? I have not tried connecting anywhere else yet.

GNex no wifi at home /w full strength - Android Forums

(The following is copied from Android Forums:)

I have a strange problem here: my VZW GNex is unable to access the internet when it's connected to my home wifi, despite having a full (albeit grey) wifi signal indicator. By all indications, things should be fine:The phone gets an IP via DHCP just fine, and the gateway & subnet info are correct (checked /w Network Info 2)

The specifics (updated after suggestions):
  1. The wireless router sees the mac address in its DHCP table, and no MAC filtering is configured on the router.
  2. Other wireless devices (ipad/iphone/laptops) all work fine.
  3. I have changed encryption mode from WPA/WEP/disabled and all behave the same: the wifi indicator briefly is full and blue, then about 3s later it becomes full and grey. Signal strength is -46 dBm
  4. This GNex has connected fine to 2 other Wifi's - a friend's and my office.
  5. Router is a Linksys WRTGL54, firmware 4.30.7
  6. I've tried changing wifi channels to 1, 6, and 11
  7. For sure, no MAC filtering exists on the router (and it gets an IP from the router, as well)
  8. When I say "full but grey" I mean that - I can walk far away and the top couple grey bars disappear - so it's definitely getting wifi signal, IP, gateway, etc -- but no internet connection.
  9. I've tried "B only," "G only," and "Mixed" on my wifi. None of these work any better than the others (in terms of fixing this problem)
Regardless of my tweaks, the result is the same: after connecting, the wifi indicator is "full" and blue for ~3s before it becomes "full" but grey -- with no internets.

What else should I try?

OP
tbever

tbever

Reaction score
More information:

I downloaded wifi analyzer from the market. It shows my 3 access points with good signal strength (one is -59 dBm, the others are -75 and -76). I typically don't use the third one since it is part of a home automation router (micasaverde). This shows the wifi radio in the device is working, but I'll be darned if I can figure out why it is not connecting. It seems likely this is a software issue. One AP is on channel 6, the other two are on channel 11. It shows that I have an IP address under wifi settings with link speed of 36 MPS. I have tried Forget ing the access points and rescanning and adding them back, but not working. Any ideas?

OP
tbever

tbever

Reaction score
Another update (in case anyone else is having this issue)

I am still unable to connect to either of my linksys routers. As I mentioned above, I have a micasverde vera home automation controller that also has a built in access point, also secured with WPA2. I tried connecting to that one and SUCCESS! No problems, able to download 1 GB of podcasts without any problems, dropped data or anything. I tried to connect to each of the other two, and no go. There was a brief flash of blue and then grey on the signal indicator, with no data connectivity. I went back to the MCV vera access point and it connected NO PROBLEM.

I am guessing this may be related to the linksys routers, but this is above my level. I am not sure what chipset the MCV vera runs.

Anyone else having issues with wifi/linksys routers? All my other devices work fine with them. My OG droid worked fine with them as well.

pchakmak

Reaction score
I am having a problem connecting to wifi as well. It is not showing up when I turn wifi on. On my OG droid there was an option where I could view every wifi connection available without actually being connected. With the gnex I have to be connected to a network to view all the other networks.

Bottom line...is there a way to view all of the wireless networks and manually connect to one of them?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
tbever

tbever

Reaction score
For whatever reason, the 2 linksys routers were working again normally this morning. They worked fine all morning, then I went away from home, and checked 4G connectivity. 4G was fine (38 Mbs down!) but when I came back home, it seemed that there was a problem connecting again briefly over wifi for about 10-15 mins with 4 bars, connected status but no data connectivity. Now again they are working fine. It seems to be a software glitch, maybe with 4G handoff to wifi?

stratjb

Reaction score
just fyi. I've been connected to my Buffalo router everyday since the 15th with no connection issues. I'd say something could be wrong with the phone. I'd exchange it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think it's a software glitch. My dad came over yesterday and couldn't get an IP for an hour from the router. (he has a nexus).

Hopefully it's on the list of fixes.

PowerJoe

Reaction score
My Problem Solved!!!!

I could get my phone to connect to some WiFi but not all. I could not get it to connect to my home WiFi no matter what. Spent hours on the phone with Verizon and Samsung, even replaced the phone once. All it would do is say "Saved" but never try to connect or obtain an IP address. The problem was that my network name was two words with a space between the words. The GNex cannot handle having a space in the network name. I changed the name to just one word and now it works perfectly.

I figured this out because my wife's iphone put a goofy symbol between the two words instead of the space after it was connected, so it hit me and I changed my network name to just one word.

Hope this helps someone else. I spent a week figuring this out.

OP
tbever

tbever

Reaction score
I still have similar problems connecting to linksys wrt 54G routers. I have a micasaverde home automation controller with a wifi access point that causes no problems. 2 different workplace wifi setups also work fine. I exchanged the phone for other reasons, but the new one has exactly the same issue. My SSID is one word, so that is not the problem. Annoying but I have one router at home working well.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem on my 2wire Gateway router. It used to work fine and the last month it has not worked at all. My 3g srvice has been getting much slower also and the resonsiveness overall has been really poor since the GNEX upgrade.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Str8Aro

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
I am not having any trouble with my Nexus but did have with my OG on a D-Link. I replaced the D-Link with an Asus RT-N12 and the OG problems were solved. The Nexus connected to it with no problems and I have had flawless service out of it. It is an Open Source router that I flashed with Tomato. I will be upgrading to a newer Asus for gigabit LAN eventually. I don't think the RT-N12 is IPv6 compliant, either.

BitBug

Reaction score
My Verizon Galaxy Nexus was working find with my Cisco WRT160Nv3 router/wireless until last night. All day today it was giving me a failed to Authenticate message. All other devices I have are working fine with the wireless.

After banging my head against the wall for most of the day, I ran across this thread. Based on PowerJoe's post above, I looked hard at the SSID/name of my wifi. It was named AbcdXyz (not a real SSID, but the format is correct. Notice the two capital letters in the SSID name)

I changed the name to have no caps (i.e. abcdxyz).

On some other posts, outside this forum, the chanel frequency had also been mentioned. My router channel width was set to: 20MHz. I switched the channel width to a setting of: auto(20MHz or 40MHz)

The combination of these two changes seems to have fixed the issue. Time will tell if it losses connectivity again and if it does I will post.

For now, you may wish to try this if you are having issues with WiFi authentication with your Galaxy Nexus.

I hope this helps someone!

gimpyestrada

Reaction score
I just wanted to throw my hat into this problem too. I have a Linksys 150N router that has been flashed to run DD-WRT custom firmware.