Wifi connection problem

navy

Reaction score
That may be something wrong with your router, I have the same issue on my computer, you can see it more clearly on pc. Having connected wifi but can not access to internet.

nleksan

Reaction score
Actually my entire network of computers/TV's/Xbox360/PS3/Blu-Ray Players/DVR's/etc ALL are working perfectly fine... Even the furthest-away connections (to my basement, home theater) is getting good enough signal to stream 1080p30 with 7.1ch audio... Yet my GNex couldn't do squat standing right next to the router! (and the home theater is connected to a wireless repeater bridge, so bandwidth is cut in half for it, on top of the distance).

Strangely, though, I haven't been having any issues now with GummyJar Nexus 1.2.0; 1.2.5 just came out, includes LeanKernel 3.8.0, so I may give that a shot and see if it's improved further!

EDIT: This laptop, connected via Wifi in the same room as the router, just pulled 19.82Mbps down and 3.99Mbps up, and my hardwired gaming rig (3930K/Rampage4Extreme/etc with dual-gigabit NIC) pulled 29.17Mbps down and 11.32Mbps up with 2x 9' Cat6E (quad-shielded) cables hooked up to 2x Gigabit Ethernet ports on the router. Those are very good numbers, so it is not the router; in fact, I have overclocked my router AND modem and managed a solid 25% increase in speeds, but the modem was getting way too hot. I still have the WRT54G (wireless repeater-bridge) overclocked by 50% about, and it now has about 40% better range with a much stronger signal (I did have to open her up and put a solid-copper heatsink from an older PC's south-bridge over the chip and it now has 2x 60mm fans in it as well), and it stays nice 'n cool :D

bilaktoit

Reaction score
My Verizon nexus is having problems establishing and maintaining a wifi connection. First 2 days it was fine. Now it will state that it is connected via wifi and gives an IP address but the wifi indicator is grayed out (with 4 or 5 wifi bars ) and it will not receive any data. I have 2 different routers; same issue with both. Security is WPA2 PSK, and the correct password is entered. All other wifi devices on the network work fine. Both are Linksys routers (54G flashed the most current firmware). When I turn wifi off and then on again, the wifi indicator will briefly turn blue when I turn wifi on, but will gray out again within a second or two. Airplane mode on/off does not help. I have powered the phone on/off etc with no help. I have tried forcing the 2.4 mhz vs 5 mhz selection and that does not help. I am not going to flash anything since I don't want to screw up the warranty if I have to return it.

The 3G and 4G data seems to be fine. I have unlimited data so I don't mind that much but I do want to be able to use wifi.

There is a thread on XDA-developers forum describing this but I wondered it anyone else here has noticed it here.

Two Major Issues with teh Galaxy Nexus: Wifi drops and multitouch failing at times - xda-developers

Hello, did you find a solution for this problem? i have the same problem... :(

nleksan

Reaction score
I was able to fix a very similar issue but I did do two separate things at once so I can't be sure of which fixed it, or if they both did, or even if it was coincidence (unlikely).

1) Rooted phone

2) Installed DD-WRT on WRT54G

First one is pretty self-explanatory. You might also try buying Titanium Backup, doing a backup of necessary data, and doing a factory-fresh data wipe.

The second one had me setting up the WRT54G as a wireless repeater bridge, using DD-WRT (54G is v3 I believe, so I was able to use the full DD-WRT version; 54G's v4 and higher require "mini" DD-WRT). I have the chip itself running overclocked (the router's processor) just one step up, the Tx Power at 81, and I am using WPA2 Enterprise encryption.
BTW, just the above increased my WiFi range nearly 2.5x!

OP
tbever

tbever

Reaction score
wifi issue

My work around is to initially connect to another access point: it is a micaverde vera home automation router with a wifi connection, then change to one of the linksys routers. For whatever reason that works. If I connect to the linksys initially it never connects unless I go back an establish a connection again through the other router. Works for me and I just don't feel motivated enough to flash the linksys router with another OS.

animalwatcher

Reaction score
Hi all. This just happened yesterday. I have had no problem connecting to my home wi-fi since I got the phone. Then last night I noticed that my home network is disabled. I can't find a place to 'enable' it. I've re-put in the password, checked that it works with a laptop and it does. 'Forget it, then refound it. Restarted the phone a couple of times. When I click 'connect' it flashes the 'secured with WPA/WPA2 PSk' then goes back to 'disabled'.

I have changed nothing on my modem.

Is there a place to 'enable'? Any suggestions. None of the posts before helped.

Thanks,

It is so frustrating. It is named one word so there is no space, per another post here.

nleksan

Reaction score
Sometimes, the most frustrating problems with WiFi can be solved by unplugging ALL your routers/modems, leaving them unplugged for a minute (well, you technically only need 30sec but I say 60 just to be safe), then plugging them back in starting with modem, then primary router, then secondary router, then tertiary router, et al; in that order.

I don't know exactly why it works, I suspect it may have something to do with clearing the router's "cache" or whatever, but it does work more often than not.

Another thing, everyone: Please make sure your CABLE MODEM is NOT connected via a COAX splitter! I realized mine was, removed the splitter and ran a much longer line of quad-shielded cable instead of two shorter lines of double-shielded, and have noticed (on my wired-to-the-router PC; WiFi speed/ping tests are too variable to be reliable) that I went from ~22Mb/s Down and 2.5Mb/s Up with average Ping of 44ms ~to~ 26.2Mb/s Down and 3.9Mb/s Up with 29ms Ping!!
I will be adding an inline amplifier to see how well that helps, and even if it doesn't help my internet speeds, it will at least help with my TV cable and DVR's (6x TV's, 3x DVR's, and 3x Cable Boxes = pixelated images more often than I would like due to the necessary line splitters).

bzerker

Reaction score
Your signal can be 'too hot' from the cable company and can make your connection unstable, so sometimes the tech's will install a splitter solely to cut your db level. Notice splitters will say '7db' on the input, and '3.5db' on each of the outputs? Your signal needs to be within a certain range to communicate efficiently, and every once in a while a splitter is actually beneficial.

My solution to this issue was to disable 'use DNSMasq' in my router.

animalwatcher

Reaction score
Some one suggested that it may be a wifi app I may have downloaded. For what ever reason it may disable wifi.

I uninstalled all wi-fi apps and it all went back to normal and I was able to access my wi-fi.

So glad to have it figured out. Something to check.

--------------------
Hi all. This just happened yesterday. I have had no problem connecting to my home wi-fi since I got the phone. Then last night I noticed that my home network is disabled. I can't find a place to 'enable' it. I've re-put in the password, checked that it works with a laptop and it does. 'Forget it, then refound it. Restarted the phone a couple of times. When I click 'connect' it flashes the 'secured with WPA/WPA2 PSk' then goes back to 'disabled'.

I have changed nothing on my modem.

Is there a place to 'enable'? Any suggestions. None of the posts before helped.

Thanks,

It is so frustrating. It is named one word so there is no space, per another post here.

Rollo_Tomasi

Reaction score
Very wierd issue with my Nexus on WiFi Pictures seems to take forever to load on FB or not at all just a spinning wheel. If I hop off WiFi to 4G the picture will load immediately. I have also noticed a severe lag in updating my Twitter feed on Tweetdeck, on 4G it will refresh every 3 mins as I have configured it. On WiFi it is never up to the minute, ususally about 10-15 mins behind.

Are there any settings on my router that I need to look at? I just bought & installed a Linksys EA3500 App-Enabled N750 Dual-Band Wireless-N Router and it connects, goes grey and then goes blue eventually. As I will eventually be forced into a shared data plan from my current unlimited I'd love it if the phone that was so highly touted will just work as expected on whatever network I put it on.

Has anyone else noticed a lag when on WiFi in updating real time social network feeds?

ejfiii

Reaction score
Hey guys, just joined here to help out future internet searchers. After some exhaustive network troubleshooting and configuring today I narrowed down my grey bar problem to a specific model of Ruckus Wireless Access Point- the 2943. My house and office both use it and I get the grey bars as soon as I turn on wifi on my Nexus to either of those networks.

I am bringing home a different model Ruckus WAP tonight to test which should work because a client site yesterday with this model wap worked fine.

To be clear, I am not talking about wifi strength, I am talking about having grey wifi and cell bars as soon as wifi is turned on and the phone connects to these networks.

The bottom line is everyone with this problem should start troubleshooting their networks.

Good luck.

nleksan

Reaction score
For whatever reason, I get the grey bars at times, and other times I don't. They always go away, it's just how long it takes them to change back to blue is what is variable.

Also, if you can, I HIGHLY recommend flashing DD-WRT to your router as it is FAR FAR FAR better than stock Linksys firmware!!!! Supported Devices - DD-WRT Wiki

I have also found that changing the DNS provider can alter this; for example, using Google's DNS Provider, I get no grey bars (or almost never) but it is slow, while FreeDNS is much faster but causes grey bars on occasion. There are MANY different DNS providers, so try a bunch out and see which work for you.

jadraxx

Reaction score
I've had this issue since before the JB update. Since the latest ICS update I've been having issues connecting to my WIFI. I've had my phone rooted in ICS and JB. I'm running two separate networks at my house off of a Belkin router which has no firmware updates (just checked before I posted this). I am running both a 5GHz-N and a 2.4GHz-N network running WPA/WPA2 protection. All of my 5GHz devices connect fine along with all my 2.4GHz devices connect with no issues. My Nexus is the only device having the same issue on both networks. It can connect but it's crap signal strength. Even directly right next to my router. My BT is crap too. I have a blue ant I can't even use with my head less than 2ft away from cell phone. I'm starting to wonder if some of the Nexs were shipped with bunked chips or what? I'm going to play around with my router channels, protection settings, etc... later. I'll follow up with a post later on after I play around for a while and I also have a backup router I can play with that I use to have my Nexus connected to with no issues. Hopefully I can run into something and duplicate the problem...

jadraxx

Reaction score
Soooooooo upon further inspection of my set up... it's my cell phone... My neighbor has a WRT with the firmware nleksan was talking about and couldn't connect to it one room over in my apartment. I had problems connecting to both my routers in the same of room of my routers with my cell phone in my apartment on both WPA, WPA2, WPA/WPA2 protection. 5GHZ & 2.4HGz on both N and G networks (yea I know running a 5GHz G network is dumb but for testing purposes!!!!) I'm pretty sure my wifi chip is bunked due to the fact when I use my iPhone and load up my D1 I see a list long full of SSID's where my Nexus only sees the two networks in my apartment and won't connect to them for beans. I'm pretty sure my blue tooth is bunked too since there is NO reason I should be getting nothing but static when my blue ant designed for androids is less than 2ft away from my phone. Now I have to unroot the sucker take it to Verizon and hopefully they can do something about it =\

I've had this issue since before the JB update. Since the latest ICS update I've been having issues connecting to my WIFI. I've had my phone rooted in ICS and JB. I'm running two separate networks at my house off of a Belkin router which has no firmware updates (just checked before I posted this). I am running both a 5GHz-N and a 2.4GHz-N network running WPA/WPA2 protection. All of my 5GHz devices connect fine along with all my 2.4GHz devices connect with no issues. My Nexus is the only device having the same issue on both networks. It can connect but it's crap signal strength. Even directly right next to my router. My BT is crap too. I have a blue ant I can't even use with my head less than 2ft away from cell phone. I'm starting to wonder if some of the Nexs were shipped with bunked chips or what? I'm going to play around with my router channels, protection settings, etc... later. I'll follow up with a post later on after I play around for a while and I also have a backup router I can play with that I use to have my Nexus connected to with no issues. Hopefully I can run into something and duplicate the problem...

Rollo_Tomasi

Reaction score
i returned 3 Galaxy Nexus's to VZW and they upgraded me to an S3. The difference in hardware is staggering. I had roughly the same issues on all 3 Nexus devices. Poor WiFi radio, Cell radio, battery life were my primary issues. I got the S3, it connected to my home wifi immediately and i have not looked back since.

from my experience this phone is a dud, if you have one that works well be thankful.