Wifi connection problem

jadraxx

Reaction score
"works"... notice the quote... Yea, after my phone goes to sleep it has data problems a lot and i need to turn airplane mode on and off to get data working correctly again. Reception it still blows my AT&T iPhone 4s out of the water by far. I get nothing but dropped calls with that all day long. But yea, the wifi and bt blow on my Nex. I take it this is a known issue with the phone so I wonder how my local VZW store will handle it...

HikenGruven

Reaction score
I've had similar problems with both the OG Droid and Galaxy Nexus. Try an app called WIFI High Performance. That resolved my connection problems relating to WiFi (ie going to sleep). As for the WiFi speed? I can't help you there

jadraxx

Reaction score
it's not a speed issue with wifi it's the fact it has no connectivity at all. it just gets absolute terrible signal strength and my bluetooth just plain doesn't work for beans. My 4G signal issues are because I live in the foothills on the side of a mountain so reception is bouncy it has nothing to do with my phone. 4G works fine every where else. I'll check out the app. Thanks for the suggestion I hope it works...

I've had similar problems with both the OG Droid and Galaxy Nexus. Try an app called WIFI High Performance. That resolved my connection problems relating to WiFi (ie going to sleep). As for the WiFi speed? I can't help you there

MktMuser

Reaction score
I am having a similar issue on Asus Nexus 7 tablet, but i can operate for awhile and then it unexpectedly turns grey. By closing Wi-Fi and turning it back on, I get the signal back. This tablet is wifi only. It has only occurred so far on my home wifi network. Also, I have a Droid X and wife has iPhone and iPad that all street connected and operate just fine when I lose signal on my tablet. I am using an Apple Airport router.

UOTE=tbever;1935388]Sorry to reply to my own post, but I found someone with an identical problem on Android forums as we ll, with no solution. This is exactly the issue I am having. Maybe linksys routers don't play well with Gnex? I have not tried connecting anywhere else yet.

GNex no wifi at home /w full strength - Android Forums

(The following is copied from Android Forums:)

I have a strange problem here: my VZW GNex is unable to access the internet when it's connected to my home wifi, despite having a full (albeit grey) wifi signal indicator. By all indications, things should be fine:The phone gets an IP via DHCP just fine, and the gateway & subnet info are correct (checked /w Network Info 2)

The specifics (updated after suggestions):
  1. The wireless router sees the mac address in its DHCP table, and no MAC filtering is configured on the router.
  2. Other wireless devices (ipad/iphone/laptops) all work fine.
  3. I have changed encryption mode from WPA/WEP/disabled and all behave the same: the wifi indicator briefly is full and blue, then about 3s later it becomes full and grey. Signal strength is -46 dBm
  4. This GNex has connected fine to 2 other Wifi's - a friend's and my office.
  5. Router is a Linksys WRTGL54, firmware 4.30.7
  6. I've tried changing wifi channels to 1, 6, and 11
  7. For sure, no MAC filtering exists on the router (and it gets an IP from the router, as well)
  8. When I say "full but grey" I mean that - I can walk far away and the top couple grey bars disappear - so it's definitely getting wifi signal, IP, gateway, etc -- but no internet connection.
  9. I've tried "B only," "G only," and "Mixed" on my wifi. None of these work any better than the others (in terms of fixing this problem)
Regardless of my tweaks, the result is the same: after connecting, the wifi indicator is "full" and blue for ~3s before it becomes "full" but grey -- with no internets.

What else should I try?[/QUOTE]

jadraxx

Reaction score
I am having a similar issue on Asus Nexus 7 tablet, but i can operate for awhile and then it unexpectedly turns grey. By closing Wi-Fi and turning it back on, I get the signal back. This tablet is wifi only. It has only occurred so far on my home wifi network. Also, I have a Droid X and wife has iPhone and iPad that all street connected and operate just fine when I lose signal on my tablet. I am using an Apple Airport router.

UOTE=tbever;1935388]Sorry to reply to my own post, but I found someone with an identical problem on Android forums as we ll, with no solution. This is exactly the issue I am having. Maybe linksys routers don't play well with Gnex? I have not tried connecting anywhere else yet.

GNex no wifi at home /w full strength - Android Forums

(The following is copied from Android Forums:)

I have a strange problem here: my VZW GNex is unable to access the internet when it's connected to my home wifi, despite having a full (albeit grey) wifi signal indicator. By all indications, things should be fine:The phone gets an IP via DHCP just fine, and the gateway & subnet info are correct (checked /w Network Info 2)

The specifics (updated after suggestions):
  1. The wireless router sees the mac address in its DHCP table, and no MAC filtering is configured on the router.
  2. Other wireless devices (ipad/iphone/laptops) all work fine.
  3. I have changed encryption mode from WPA/WEP/disabled and all behave the same: the wifi indicator briefly is full and blue, then about 3s later it becomes full and grey. Signal strength is -46 dBm
  4. This GNex has connected fine to 2 other Wifi's - a friend's and my office.
  5. Router is a Linksys WRTGL54, firmware 4.30.7
  6. I've tried changing wifi channels to 1, 6, and 11
  7. For sure, no MAC filtering exists on the router (and it gets an IP from the router, as well)
  8. When I say "full but grey" I mean that - I can walk far away and the top couple grey bars disappear - so it's definitely getting wifi signal, IP, gateway, etc -- but no internet connection.
  9. I've tried "B only," "G only," and "Mixed" on my wifi. None of these work any better than the others (in terms of fixing this problem)
Regardless of my tweaks, the result is the same: after connecting, the wifi indicator is "full" and blue for ~3s before it becomes "full" but grey -- with no internets.

What else should I try?
[/QUOTE]

From my understanding the Gnexs have finicky issues with some specific routers. My GNEX was also completely bunked so that was my connectivity issue. They had to replace the main pcb board and ended up with a completely new imei number. Since i got the phone refurbed it's been working great. There have been several people on other forums complaining about connectivity issues to the WRT series of Linksys. From what I've been reading some people got it to work by flashing their stock firmware to Tomato on their router. Other than that I have no idea. My friend has a Gnex7 and a Tomato WRT54G (already had it flashed for years) with Cyanogen and connects to it fine and never had an issue. You can also try flashing your Gnex7 to a non stock rom. I'm currently running Liquid Smooth 4.2.2 and it works perfectly for my Gnex phone and my Asus Transformer tablet. No issues at all. Even fixec the gallery crashing problems from 4.1.2 when you take a picture if anyone was experiencing that also. Check out goo.im for some roms for your tablet. Be warned tho... not all rom's are created equally so do your research first before you flash. Good luck I hope this helps.