widget refresh issues

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've tried everything, but I cannot get my Facebook widget or my Finance widgets to refresh unless I actually load up the Facebook or Finance apps and refresh manually. I have changed the settings in each app appropriately, but still no luck. I've tried deleting and reloading, still no luck. This has occurred both on the default platform, GDE, and Open Home.

I thought I read somewhere at some point that widgets won't refresh on Android unless they're on the main home window. I haven't tested that out yet as I don't want those widgets on my main home window, and that seems kind of silly.

Anybody else dealing with this, or have any ideas?

jkayner

Reaction score
are you using a task killer app? If you close the processes, the widgets/apps will not update.

bacalao

Reaction score
I have the same problem. I set facebook to update every hour and it wont even update when I open the app refresh and close. It does update about twice in a day... I don't have task killer. Hmmm

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nope, no task killer running. And even when I did have it running, autokill was disabled and I never killed those tasks manually.

jstbecuz

Reaction score
Just a hunch, but doesn't Android "pause" apps / processes that are not being used when it needs more memory? Could that be what's happening here? I've seen it on other widgets as well. I'm guessing there's a way to force widgets to refresh, but maybe they're not coded correctly to do this.

I'm not a developer nor an Android expert, but the widget concept seems baffles me for this reason. The phone doesn't stop you from overloading it with widgets and background processes, so it seems like there'd be two choices... a phone that's slower than molasses, or a way of turning off the widgets / processes that are prioritized lower than others and active applications. Seems like Android picks the second.

Please don't take this as fact, it's really just a guess. Perhaps some experts can weigh in.