Why the sluggishness?

allansm

Reaction score
I've gotten a chance to play with the Droid 2 a couple of times at Verizon stores.

Each time i've noticed that it's really sluggish when manuevering between screens.

Why?

One would think with the extra processing muscle it would easily outperform the original. But it feels exactly the same.

Don't get me wrong, I dig the polished look and the better keyboard, but for it to run like that is simply unnaceptable. Especially when you compare it to the Incredible.

My rooted Droid 1 runs laps around it.

I'm not here to knock your device. Simply asking a question. I was looking forward to it but I feel severely disappointed. Why Motorola wouldn't polish up the speed before releasing it is surprising.

pool_shark

Reaction score
I've gotten a chance to play with the Droid 2 a couple of times at Verizon stores.

Each time i've noticed that it's really sluggish when manuevering between screens.

Why?

One would think with the extra processing muscle it would easily outperform the original. But it feels exactly the same.

Don't get me wrong, I dig the polished look and the better keyboard, but for it to run like that is simply unnaceptable. Especially when you compare it to the Incredible.

My rooted Droid 1 runs laps around it.

I'm not here to knock your device. Simply asking a question. I was looking forward to it but I feel severely disappointed. Why Motorola wouldn't polish up the speed before releasing it is surprising.

No one will be able to tell you why the one you tested felt sluggish. We can only tell you how the one we have performs.
Mine isn't sluggish. The only time mine lags is when I'm going through the gallery after a reboot.
Moving thru screens and apps for me is very smooth.

revision

Reaction score
If it helps, my D1 was sluggish to the point of me throwing it when i got it last december, but lo and behold in July i fell in love with it all over again when i got a rom on there that actually made it behave like a smooth animal. I got the d2 in the hopes of what it will be able to do 8 months or so from now lol unless cvps can get a rom on it sooner.

OP
A

allansm

Reaction score
That's the thing, I've toyed with about four or five of them. They were all slow and sluggish.

Why?!?

The processor is powerful!

I'm sure Launcher Pro will help it out, but why do you need to a 3rd party app to make it function a bit more smoothly?

The Droid 1 has an excuse, the dated processor. But its successor doesn't. Except lazy programming and developing.

Doesn't Motorola test it out and refine it?

One of you mentioned that you were hoping a ROM would smooth things out. It shouldn't have to be that way.

I'm sure a great many individuals have been turned off by it from simply trying it out at stores.

To get my point, simpy compare it to an Incredible, Evo or Captivate. They all have similar processors, yet the Droid 2 gets smoked.

And that was the case when the others were on 2.1 and the Droid 2 on Froyo!

Anyhow, sorry to rain on your parades. I do not want to insult your device.

I'm simply amazed that Motorola would not give enough care and effort into the succesor of the device that brought them back from the dead and catapulted them into a major player again.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's the thing, I've toyed with about four or five of them. They were all slow and sluggish.

Why?!?

The processor is powerful!

I'm sure Launcher Pro will help it out, but why do you need to a 3rd party app to make it function a bit more smoothly?

The Droid 1 has an excuse, the dated processor. But its successor doesn't. Except lazy programming and developing.

Doesn't Motorola test it out and refine it?

One of you mentioned that you were hoping a ROM would smooth things out. It shouldn't have to be that way.

I'm sure a great many individuals have been turned off by it from simply trying it out at stores.

To get my point, simpy compare it to an Incredible, Evo or Captivate. They all have similar processors, yet the Droid 2 gets smoked.

And that was the case when the others were on 2.1 and the Droid 2 on Froyo!

Anyhow, sorry to rain on your parades. I do not want to insult your device.

I'm simply amazed that Motorola would not give enough care and effort into the succesor of the device that brought them back from the dead and catapulted them into a major player again.

My Droid was overclocked to 1ghz and rooted. My stock Droid 2 is faster and smoother.

So i can't speak for your experience with what happened in a Verizon store. I can only speak of mine. And you're not raining on anyones parade, your entitled to your opinion.

tgs3838

Reaction score
When i 1st got mine last week it seemed really smooth and stuff. Then I added my apps and I believe Launcher. Seems like that made it a tad laggy at times.

bizzshow

Reaction score
Mine is quick at everything but the blur launcher is slower than the stock launcher I also use spare parts to speed up the transitions

revision

Reaction score
Yesterday I actually sbf'd mine back to stock without any of my apps or root on it just to see how it responded. It actually felt faster then the first time i turned it on. Re-rooted it but kept all my apps off and the thing has been blazing since. I haven't' added all my programs back on, but most of them are apart from games, so not sure if it was a game that was behaving badly or one of the other utility apps but now my d1 can't touch this.

In reference to my comment about being anxious for roms, haven't you ever bought a computer and then immediately changed the way it looked or removed the crap that HP or Dell installed on there? My stance is I buy the phone from a company that wants to generate revenue off it, and sacrifice full performance of the handset, I put a ROM on it because I want to see what the phone can really do when generating revenue isn't at the forefront.