Not really a bug report... just an observation since going to 1.1.0

jsummersphd

Reaction score
While the redraw issues with ADW launcher are almost completely gone, I've noticed 2 troubling things in the past 24 hours of use.

1) I'm getting noticeably less battery life compared to 1.0.0

2) Some apps (especially the market) are extremely sluggish and unresponsive.

The first issue may be a symptom of the change in kernels. I was using LV 125MHz-1GHz before, but decided to stick with the purportedly more "stable" stock SV 250MHz-800MHz. That's a quick issue to diagnose and probably the first thing I'll do after I finish this post.

The market being consistently sluggish and other apps randomly locking up for as long as 15 seconds are another issue. Before anyone mentions it, yes, I wiped both data and cache... 3 times each just be safe. It's different from the redraw issue because it seems to occur randomly within an app as opposed to when attempting to return to the home screen. The only other difference I can think of is that I'm using Compcache now, whereas I didn't use it on 1.0.0.

I'm gonna try to fix this myself as best I can, but any insight would be appreciated. Also, I'll update if I make a breakthrough.

wingdo

Reaction score
The general malaise you get can be from the kernel. Try a different voltage or speed. Also give a different dev's kernel a try. I personally have by far the best experiences with chevy's.

As for the market, I don't think that is a sapphire specific issue. I've seen that behavior on most ROMs. It could be that the market is swamped and overworked and need more servers. The addition of 1.5 million new handsets a week may be overwhelming the market.

You can try going into settings, applications, manage applications, all, select market. Then clear data and cache. Your first time back into the market will be slow while the app learns everything you have, but after that your performance may improve.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm still at Sapphire 8.4. My battery life if fine. My market, however, is another story. It has been slow for quite some time. I was running BB v4 before Sapphire but I do not recall when the slowness began. I've cleared data and cache in the market app as well as the cache in the OS. Initially, the response to the Market improved. However, in less that 24 hours the lag returned.

Like Wingdo, I believe the number of users contributes to the slowness but I'm not convinced that is the single bottle neck.

Mike

Eschy

Reaction score
im experiencing some of these problems as well. He may have a bad line in his source or something. Im thinking there will probably be a patch soon. Im using the exact same kernel i did in 1.0, i dropped LP for the stock launcher because the redraws were driving me crazy like most. I had compcache on but it started slowing down. I have had quite a few hangups on apps and one time my phone completely crashed.

btb103

Reaction score
I'm having noticeably worse battery life, as well. The life on 1.0 was the best on any ROM and I was hoping that would continue.

I have not noticed any speed differences (running same kernel with same SetCPU profiles as I had on 1.0)

Skull One

Reaction score

cvpcs and his team decided to go with a Standard Voltage 250/800 Kernel to avoid continuing issues with people that can't handle Low Voltage Kernels.

So for those of you that want to go back to the kernel you are used to, follow this link releases:sapphire-1.1.0 [CVPCS Sapphire Wiki] and scroll down to the Low Voltage 125/1000Mhz Kernel. This will return the speed and battery life you have come to expect.

btb103

Reaction score
I selected the 125-800 7-slot LV kernel when I downloaded and installed from ROM manager

arw01

Reaction score
With 1.0 and that 125 kernal I had HORRIBLE lags, 30+ seconds all the time. Moved to a 250 kernal and they all pretty much went away. The droid is 3 months old, so it's not like one of the early ones.

o29

Reaction score
The only problems I had with 1.1 occurred when I tried to flash 1.1 over 1.0 without clearing data/cache. After doing that 5x and using the 1000-125 LV kernel (same kernel that I was running before), I've had no problems with lag, battery life, or screen redraws.

It's likely that redraws are inevitable to some extent as they were there in 1.0 too and with LancherPro I usually only get them when exiting to the home screen with the keyboard still out, forcing it to draw it in landscape.

But personally I've been loving 1.1, so these issues are likely the exception rather than the rule.