Why can't people hear me??

shanook

Reaction score
This has been happening for a couple weeks now. But i'm getting sick of it now. When i call or people call me, they can't hear me.. I know the mic is fine because they can hear me on speaker, or when i record a video everything is crystal clear. Has anyone else been having this issue? What should i do to fix it? I'm on stock JB and have had this phone for about a year now.

mikekhelxD

Reaction score
That hasn't happened to me on D4. It did though back when I had the OG Droid. Did this only started happening when you updated to JB?

OP
S

shanook

Reaction score
Yes it has, it's weird that it's only been happening recently though

mikekhelxD

Reaction score
I'm going to give this a try tomorrow, any recommendations on backing everything up?

Are you rooted? If you are, there are plenty of ways to do so. If not, like I am right now, you just do it manually. As far as dling the app, it's a lot easier from the play store. Just go to your account then dl each. When I did mine, I copied the entire drive to the computer. Just remember that app data won't be back up so make sure you remember all your accounts and such. It took me last night about 2 hours to put all my stuff back into the phone.

OP
S

shanook

Reaction score
Are you rooted? If you are, there are plenty of ways to do so. If not, like I am right now, you just do it manually. As far as dling the app, it's a lot easier from the play store. Just go to your account then dl each. When I did mine, I copied the entire drive to the computer. Just remember that app data won't be back up so make sure you remember all your accounts and such. It took me last night about 2 hours to put all my stuff back into the phone.

Oh god yeah this is going to be a pain. I'm on stock, but the pictures, background, apps, position on everything. All the progress memory on games =( oh well.

What's the point of having a phone though if I can't use it. Hopefully this will work

OP
S

shanook

Reaction score
BUMP AND UPDATE

I just did a reset of my phone, and the problem is still occurring. Any other suggestions? It works on speaker phone, but not normally.

OP
S

shanook

Reaction score
another update, i tried using headphones plugged in to the jack. i made a call to test, and they said i was very broken up. when i went to speaker it would work normal again. so it wasn't an area of bad service situation. I'm trying to get to the bottom of this x.x

SnglGrma

Reaction score
another update, i tried using headphones plugged in to the jack. i made a call to test, and they said i was very broken up. when i went to speaker it would work normal again. so it wasn't an area of bad service situation. I'm trying to get to the bottom of this x.x

Question?? Did you or anyone else drop the phone recently? Install any new apps? Change any settings in the sounds (equalizer etc)?
If not try this:
1. Anything you want to save move to your computer.
2. Do another factory reset.
3. Do NOT save anything an the phone going into the reset or coming up from the reset from your back-ups.
4. Before adding anything (apps) back on the phone make a call. If still no good I would call Verizon ...could be a bad phone. There are also remedies for blowing into your speaker to see if that works.

My personal opinion is something got added to your phone recently (an app) that changed something.

Good luck..

OP
S

shanook

Reaction score
Question?? Did you or anyone else drop the phone recently? Install any new apps? Change any settings in the sounds (equalizer etc)?
If not try this:
1. Anything you want to save move to your computer.
2. Do another factory reset.
3. Do NOT save anything an the phone going into the reset or coming up from the reset from your back-ups.
4. Before adding anything (apps) back on the phone make a call. If still no good I would call Verizon ...could be a bad phone. There are also remedies for blowing into your speaker to see if that works.

My personal opinion is something got added to your phone recently (an app) that changed something.

Good luck..

Thanks for your reply. This last reset I did, this is exactly what I did.
1. I backed up everything.
2. Took out my sim card.
3. Factory reset
4. Make a call.
My results ended up with this. A phone that I can't use as a phone.

I've never dropped this phone for the (almost) 1 year I've had it for. The last app I downloaded was a month or so ago. I haven't really made any changes to my phone since this school semester started back in january.

My only concern about calling verizon is that I bought this phone brand new off of ebay to avoid the change to my unlimited data plan. Is this something that I should be worried about when calling them? I haven't had any problems with this phone since I got it last august. Until now.

There was a time where the speaker was dull, so I did the suction trick and it worked. That was back in november though.

mattjenn

Reaction score
Honestly not sure if Verizon will cover it but Motorola should if Verizon doesn't. Only bad part is with Motorola I don't think you get replacement so you'll have to do without till they get it fixed.

SnglGrma

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. This last reset I did, this is exactly what I did.
1. I backed up everything.
2. Took out my sim card.
3. Factory reset
4. Make a call.
My results ended up with this. A phone that I can't use as a phone.

I've never dropped this phone for the (almost) 1 year I've had it for. The last app I downloaded was a month or so ago. I haven't really made any changes to my phone since this school semester started back in january.

My only concern about calling verizon is that I bought this phone brand new off of ebay to avoid the change to my unlimited data plan. Is this something that I should be worried about when calling them? I haven't had any problems with this phone since I got it last august. Until now.

There was a time where the speaker was dull, so I did the suction trick and it worked. That was back in november though.

Maybe it needs another suction trick then?
I can't answer for the Verizon and Ebay question, Sorry.
The only other thing is... when I do a factory reset, I do not back anything up on the phone and do not restore any backups when I come back up. I move my files manually to my computer before the reset. Then I let the phone wipe EVERYTHING.. SIM/memory card etc... included. This is because if it is a software (Apps) issue, you are backing up the issue and restoring it before you even know if that is the problem.

OP
S

shanook

Reaction score
Honestly not sure if Verizon will cover it but Motorola should if Verizon doesn't. Only bad part is with Motorola I don't think you get replacement so you'll have to do without till they get it fixed.

that's what i was thinking. i was going to skip the whole verizon part and probably just go through motorola. thanks for confirming that!

Maybe it needs another suction trick then?
I can't answer for the Verizon and Ebay question, Sorry.
The only other thing is... when I do a factory reset, I do not back anything up on the phone and do not restore any backups when I come back up. I move my files manually to my computer before the reset. Then I let the phone wipe EVERYTHING.. SIM/memory card etc... included. This is because if it is a software (Apps) issue, you are backing up the issue and restoring it before you even know if that is the problem.

the suction trick was for the hearing part that goes on your ear when you talk to someone. This is a microphone issue and not the speaker part. I did a fresh restore and tried it without the SD card because i thought that would have been an issue. it certainly wasn't the case in this situation unfortunately. I'm going to give motrola a call on thursday when i have some time during business hours to contact them!

thanks everyone for all the great suggestions so far!

OP
S

shanook

Reaction score
I still have this problem =( no one (verizon or motorola) was any help