why all the talk about S3

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
thanks everyone for ur replies. i think that everyone's opinion of rooting and not rooting are definitely valid for there own personnel reasons. I'm a little hesitant to root only because I'm not sure i want to b flashing roms all the time to find something i like. i guess I'm still relatively happy with ICS....its just hard when u know an update is right there at ur fingertips and its just taking soooooo long to actually OTA.... I really appreciate what most of u r doing and someday when my awesome nexus gets a little boring i will probably root but til than keep up the good work and the most enjoyable reading on the internet bar none
That's what the beauty of Android is all about, choosing what with your happy with. Whether that's a completely different phone model, or just a different OS, pick what you want.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
We should have Jellybean by now.

The people who buy the S3 there will have the same issue.

Verizon and Motorola have been pushing the next best Motorola phone for the last year. You go in there and they bring you to the latest RAZR model. They most likely make much more off it.

When I go to my store the S3 is in the corner and when I ask to see cases they have to go in the back to get them.

I was happy to see Google crack down on Moto and say from now on there will be much fewer phones. Google was quite aware of the issue.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
That's what the beauty of Android is all about, choosing what with your happy with. Whether that's a completely different phone model, or just a different OS, pick what you want.

Great comment! :thumbup:

We should have Jellybean by now.

Verizon and Motorola have been pushing the next best Motorola phone for the last year. You go in there and they bring you to the latest RAZR model. They most likely make much more off it.

When I go to my store the S3 is in the corner and when I ask to see cases they have to go in the back to get them.
I don't know why you would think JB should be available on the S3, this phone hasn't been out that long. PLUS it's already been announced JB is set to be pushed OTA by the end of this month. (Pretty decent timing imo)

Also,I don't know what store you're going to, but it's the other way around at the Verizon store in MY town. They have the S3 front and center with a bunch of accessories, cases, cables, wireless charging pads etc. :screwy:

tap'n

Last edited:

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think every dual core phone w sufficient ram should have ics and/or jb by now

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
If every dual core phone was the same, it WOULD have ICS and/or JB by now. But there are dozens of make/model phones from a dozen different carriers which require dozens more methods of making it compatible. In a word "fragmentation". This is what delays updates, not greedy carriers or evil corporate giants.
Case in point .....ATT's OTA push of ICS for the Galaxy S2 before it's ready. All you have to do is stop in for a visit at our sister site, Galaxy forums, and look at all the problems reported over the past 4 weeks. All because they released this well before it's time on this model. I'd much rather wait a few extra months for a stable build, than deal with what these folks had to deal with on their GS2s.
:banghead:

tap'n

Last edited:

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
If every dual core phone was the same, it WOULD have ICS and/or JB by now. But there are dozens of make/model phones from a dozen different carriers which require dozens more methods of making it compatible. In a word "fragmentation". This is what delays updates, not greedy carriers or evil corporate giants.
Case in point .....ATT's OTA push of ICS for the Galaxy S2 before it's ready. All you have to do is stop in for a visit at our sister site, Galaxy forums, and look at all the problems reported over the past 4 weeks. All because they released this well before it's time on this model. I'd much rather wait a few extra months for a stable build, than deal with what these folks had to deal with on their GS2s.
:banghead:

tap'n

that's what's bitter sweet about android... they wanna shove out tons of phones and give us tons of choices but then can't keep up with upgrading them and in a years time they kill the software upgrade on those phones and move on to the newer ones... if we're gonna sign up for these 2 year contracts the least they can do is honor software upgrades for 2 years.. it doesn't make sense when capable phones are scrapped because its too time consuming for them... it looks like there's too much of a disconnect with the carrier and manufacturer

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Good point!
On the same token, that's also the beauty of Android and rooting and romming,..... you don't have to wait for an OTA update to get the latest software. :D

tap'n

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Good point!
On the same token, that's also the beauty of Android and rooting and romming,..... you don't have to wait for an OTA update to get the latest software. :D

tap'n

yup I do it too but I don't want to "have to" just to get on the newer os ... but the average user isn't rooting

HowardZ

Reaction score
After reading this:

Washington, DC - Fastest Mobile Networks 2012 | PCMag.com

I am no longer certain Verizon has the best network.

Perhaps the best Android experience is a Galaxy Nexus purchased directly from Google and used on a non-LTE carrier like T-Mobile?

Who needs Verizon or Sprint, conceited power mad companies being involved in selling phones, bloating them with apps most people don't want, and delaying ota upgrades?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
After reading this:

Perhaps the best Android experience is a Galaxy Nexus purchased directly from Google and used on a non-LTE carrier like T-Mobile?

Who needs Verizon or Sprint, conceited power mad companies being involved in selling phones, bloating them with apps most people don't want, and delaying ota upgrades?

These results are going to vary greatly based upon where a person is located. If you're located in the area in which the linked tests were done, then it's certainly something to consider. But for other people, the results could be exactly the opposite. On the whole, Verizon covers more of the U.S. than any other carrier, so for people who live out in the country, or for those who travel a lot, it's often their only option for consistent service.

Where I'm at, T-Mobile has no coverage, AT&T is Edge, and Sprint is spotty. But on Verizon, there's steady LTE, with even stronger 3G to back it up. It's all about location.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
After reading this:

they don't make much sense 19.74 Max on Verizon... in NYC.. no shot.. I always get higher than that