Is Google Evil after all?

prowler85

Reaction score
This has been bugging me since yesterday, and though it's not technically a GN discussion, it does affect us all.

Google's Privacy Update: What You Need to Know

Now honestly, I would have thought Google already shared information across their various platforms, but apparently not. But from what I've read, they are doing nothing different than they have done (as far as what information they cultivate and use), they are just consolidating their privacy policy and now sharing that information across all of their platforms (except a select few). Overall, I think this is needed and will lead to a better user experience, much in the same manner as Microsoft Office products all work together.

If you've read much about it though, everyone is declaring that Google has gone against their motto (Don't be Evil) and is doing something nefarious, mainly because there is no opt-out. If you want out you have to uninstall (and not use) the service. And since we use an Android phone, it is technically impossible to opt-out and keep our phones working.

Personally, I think this is stupid. Google is doing nothing more than Facebook (who consolidates all of ther stuff within Facebook) and nothing more than most would expect - using your data and info to personalize the content and ad delivery to a) make a profit and b) make the user experience the best it can be so that it reverts back to a) make a profit.

So what does everyone else feel? Is Google being Evil and apparently I'm just a Google fanboy or is all of this some "liberal" media bias against large corporations?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Google has always been what some people would call "evil", but it's not necessarily a bad thing. 99%(This is not an estimate, they say 99%) of their revenue is through Google Adsense, which is the advertisements you see on this and every other website.

They use your internet history to determine what advertisements to show you, so they basically sell your information to these companies who advertise with them. Although they do it indirectly, they're still technically "stealing" your private data to try to sell you things for their own benefit.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Google, but they're no different than any other company. They do what is necessary to make the most money.

Edit: I felt like my post may have sounded like I was pointing out Google as an "evil" company, I don't believe that at all, I just felt it necessary to point out the facts. This doesn't make them evil, they're simply doing what every other company does.

gthotie5

Reaction score
I knew that they used my Google search history but i didn't know they used my history period thats just bad.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Personally I don't care because I have nothing to hide, but I understand people's anger. I agree with an opt out.

Sent from Droid RAZR

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Personally I don't care because I have nothing to hide, but I understand people's anger. I agree with an opt out.

Sent from Droid RAZR
Nothing to hide either and it won't change my experience with Google, at least it shouldn't. I'm perfectly happy with using Google and their software/products. There's no such thing as a "good" company, just the lesser evil, imo

OP
prowler85

prowler85

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm pretty much in the boat of nothing to hide either. And even if I had something to hide, I doubt it would still be hidden in this day and age.

Maybe I'm blinded by my love of Android, but I still see Googs a little different than most companies. Yes, they are in it for a profit, and yes they cull your information to sell to advertising companies. But it's information that I make available knowingly. I go by the assumption that anything I put on the net is public information (including most external emails). And I do see Google being the best company to work for (for a few years running), doing projects for no apparent reason (self-driving car) or at least with no apparent monetization, and you never see them trying to be underhanded (at least not that I have ever heard of). Even with this new privacy policy, they come right out and announce it. Nothing devious.

So I don't know.....not that it really changes my opinion of them, but I think all the stink lately is just kind of stupid (including the flap over Search Plus your World). Like the media and privacy "experts" are just trying to find some fault that may or may not exist. Just seems like both of these issues have been WAY blown up.

wlemammoth

Reaction score
They have pretty much always done this they are just consolidating all the info now. They are not going to provide an awesome service for free, they have crazy overhead I'm sure. There are plenty of good search engines out there if you don't like Google. Evil for having a business plan? LOL :blink: