Anyone else worried/apprehensive about 2.2?

Mr X

Reaction score
It just seems like every third thread is about how this doesn't work after 2.2 or that no longer works because of Froyo or now everything's incompatible and they have to restart. And even comments for a lot of apps in the Market sound scary... "THIS SUCKS! THIS WAS MY FAVORITE APP - NO LONGER WORKING ON 2.2!!". What's the deal here? I'm rooted, overclocked and running a bunch of apps that I would hate to have to go through and reinstall/reconfigure/just forget about because they no longer work with Froyo. Is this the dreaded "Android fragmentation" issue people have been talking about?

Don't get me wrong, I'm DYING for the JIT compiler, a system that's 2-5x faster with just one download, Flash, SD card apps... but at what cost? Another question - Is it *AT ALL* possible to not download the OTA like.. forever? Just wait on people to post the 2.2 upgrade and Flash 10.1 for us to download on our own and then patch the "call home" so that the update box doesn't pop up all the time? What are everyone's thoughts on this?

tonydelite

Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but you can download the update right now and not have to do the OTA.

I did and I have no regrets, my phone is amazing now.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's called newbies that have no clue.

I have no issues with my downloaded apps after going to 2.2.

I take those comments without merit, because there are other places to get assistance for an app that may not be working, and I would go that route before posting a negative market comment without additional information (which you really can't do in comments anyways)

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Windows XP came out and I installed it. Vista came out and I elected to not upgrade.

If for some reason 2.2 totally wrecks your phone experience you can always go back to 2.1 and use that instead. As noted above you can also go and install it now. Use the first link in my thread to do so.

There are various tools to assist with rooting if you prefer, but I prefer the free tools that let you just manually do the changes to your phone so you know exactly what is going on. Download a couple of files, install them and you are all set.

edit: When I wrote this I missed that Mr X is a Droid X owner. The advice is intended for droid 1 phones....sorry, should have looked closer.

Last edited:

crspang

Reaction score
Well Mr x if you're rooted why not download titanium backup and backup your apps user settings and go try some of the 2.2 roms?

OP
Mr X

Mr X

Reaction score
I think I may have misinterpreted 'Droid General Discussion' as 'Android General Discussion'. I have a Droid X. Terribly sorry, I messed up big time. If an admin sees this they can move it to the Droid X section.................. unless 2.2 & Flash leaked out for the X somewhere and I just didn't hear about it?????

gmorgan056

Reaction score
Does any one know how long it takes to get the OTA update? I haven't gotten mine yet. I really don't want to download it, afraid I might mess it up.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Mr X,

I got it moved for you. Where it was was ok too. My fault for not noticing you clearly labeled your phone as a Droid X in your phone model area.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mr X,

I got it moved for you. Where it was was ok too. My fault for not noticing you clearly labeled your phone as a Droid X in your phone model area.

Or that his name was, well, Mr X. :p

Though setting everything up takes a couple hours max. 95% of apps seem to work just fine with Froyo. Those that don't can easily be updated by the developer if he/she chooses too. If the developer doesn't, then I wouldn't want to run an app by a developer who doesn't want to update the app.

Froyo is a great thing. If you update to it, you will never want to go back. It is an amazing thing :)

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Though setting everything up takes a couple hours max. 95% of apps seem to work just fine with Froyo. Those that don't can easily be updated by the developer if he/she chooses too. If the developer doesn't, then I wouldn't want to run an app by a developer who doesn't want to update the app.

Froyo is a great thing. If you update to it, you will never want to go back. It is an amazing thing :)

All true statements! Embrace Froyo, don't fear it.

With an X you will have to wait, as I believe there is no 2.2 for the X yet.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Plus can't compare how froyo will work on the X to the D1. Different hardware, the X may handle it better as it is already much snappier than a stock D1