Who has a "like new" replacement?

OP
C

cc16177

Reaction score
Hmm that really sucks. Kinda makes me not wana exchange my droid anymore! I don't want to get a phone thats even worse. Refurbed phones are defected phones that has been fixed right?

Generally. One of the supervisors I spoke with was trying to say that a lot of the ones they have are from customers who only used it for a few days and returned it, which I don't really believe (especially with the Droid ;) ).

Anyways, I will call them tomorrow and see what happens, I realllllllllllllly don't want a refurb and will do almost anything to avoid getting one...

J-Buck

Reaction score
actually most of the referbs now are from people who decided the droid wasnt for them or were just making user errors. theres nothing wrong with a referb lol. all they do is put pieces together. if it was defective it would have been fixed for it to be sent out again.

daddyd302

Reaction score
I had a defective touch screen (that should be it's own post)
I was past 30 days & at the VZ store they called it in. No Cost at all. I got phone from FedEx last night. White box replacement came with SD card, no battery or battery cover. Looked brand spanking new to me. I wondered if it was too soon to have any refurbs yet

You didn't get a new phone, sorry. New phone comes with everything, you got when you first purchased it. You got a refurb, that was cleaned up to look new. That is how refurb's get shipped.

Hmm that really sucks. Kinda makes me not wana exchange my droid anymore! I don't want to get a phone thats even worse. Refurbed phones are defected phones that has been fixed right?

Most of the time, they're usually returns that the customer did not want within the 30 days trail period. Sometimes you get one that's is supposed to be fixed, but not always. For example my first iphone was defected after a month, they gave me a refurb. That one was defected after 10 months, again got a refurb.

Generally. One of the supervisors I spoke with was trying to say that a lot of the ones they have are from customers who only used it for a few days and returned it, which I don't really believe (especially with the Droid ;) ).

Anyways, I will call them tomorrow and see what happens, I realllllllllllllly don't want a refurb and will do almost anything to avoid getting one...

You're gonna get a refurb, there's no way around it, unless they don't have any, then you might get a new one. That's just how the business works. This isn't like Best Buy's extended warranty, where if it breaks with normal use and they can't fix it, you get a new one, or newer model.

feedhead

Reaction score
I would believe that if they had no refurbs yet you would still get the white boxed phone. They certainly could package a new phone without the battery & the battery case. They are not sending anybody the retail box with extras.

Regardless ... my replacement phone is actually better then the original. I had the gap on the left side between the top and bottom ... this has been reported in other threads. My 'new' phone is tighter and had no play... touch screen is working fine so far (but last one exhibited issues after about 3 weeks)

pathfin9

Reaction score
I'll be getting a like new refurbished phone on Thursday because of a severely loose and storm like tapping screen . Although I am confused as why i am since I'm still within my 30 days. The verizon rep on the phone said that since they already replaced my first phone at the store with a brand new one(went on an infinite reboot loop), that I was only entitled to a refurbished like new phone. However, after reading some reviews on the refurbs it seems like they get better quality control. I'll report back on how it is. Hopefully its nice and tight and no other issues.

-John

kilo

Reaction score
Most of the refurbs being sent out at this point are customer returns within 30 days, or just not liking the phone. The refurbs being sent out now are way less likely to have problems then if you get one 6 months to a year from now. Once they run out of the basic returns then they start dipping into the actual factory refurb phones ( both are sent to factory to be checked / repaired). I wouldnt worry too much about getting a refurb, lots of people (including me) have had good experiences with them. But I would definitely fight about the $40 because you should never have to pay for a manufacturers warranty replacement. I just confirmed that with a rep yesterday when I started my insurance plan on my droid. Manufacturer defect replacements are ALWAYS free. You only have to pay a fee if it was damaged/lost/stolen. Maybe they actually didn't note your account that it wasnt your fault, and they were willing to split the difference of 89 for the usual replacement cost and only charged you 40. Ive never heard of a 40 dollar replacement fee at all.

viperboy

Reaction score
I deal with this every day in the stores. Let me explain this a little bit...

Shouldn't that be covered by the warranty?
Especially since it wasn't your fault.

Neither would a phone that goes into an infinite loop but after 30 days, the phone would be replaced with a CLNR (Certifieds Like-New Replacement).

I had a defective touch screen (that should be it's own post)
I was past 30 days & at the VZ store they called it in. No Cost at all. I got phone from FedEx last night. White box replacement came with SD card, no battery or battery cover. Looked brand spanking new to me. I wondered if it was too soon to have any refurbs yet

I can't believe this!! They told me there is NO WAY I would EVER get a new phone if i'm past 30 days. I even told them I would cancel my service before I allowed them to send me a refurb and their response was "would you like to pay your cancellation fee by check or credit card?"

I was amazed! I've been a customer for over ten years and with my entire family on the bill our total bill is about $275 a month!

Correct. After 30 days, you will get a CLNR. That is standard across the board.

If your under warranty will they still send you a refurbed phone?

Not necessarily refurbished.

From the pamphlet inside the my new phone's box entitled
The Verizon Device Exchange Program : Like-New Replacement Certified
(The guy pictured on front is awful smiley so this program must be good)

"The Device you receive may be reconditioned equipement"

Love the Droid ... Verizon is my "best choice" for a carrier.
Sure there business practices are questionable.

Questionable? How so? It is clearly shown to you and pretty much all of the other carriers do the same thing.

...(so if they ran out of droid's,they'l send y a eris!)

No they won't.

Not exactly.

If you're past your 30 days, you will get a CLNR. That's how it works in the store, now if care will do something different that's up to them, but they should be following the same policies we are.

Ill get mad if I get a refurbed one with cosmetic defects... this really worries me.

You won't EVER get a CLNR with cosmetic damage.

actually most of the referbs now are from people who decided the droid wasnt for them or were just making user errors. theres nothing wrong with a referb lol. all they do is put pieces together. if it was defective it would have been fixed for it to be sent out again.

Exactly correct, I will elaborate more after I'm done replying...

I would believe that if they had no refurbs yet you would still get the white boxed phone. They certainly could package a new phone without the battery & the battery case. They are not sending anybody the retail box with extras.

Regardless ... my replacement phone is actually better then the original. I had the gap on the left side between the top and bottom ... this has been reported in other threads. My 'new' phone is tighter and had no play... touch screen is working fine so far (but last one exhibited issues after about 3 weeks)

See? Not so bad, huh?

I'll be getting a like new refurbished phone on Thursday because of a severely loose and storm like tapping screen . Although I am confused as why i am since I'm still within my 30 days. The verizon rep on the phone said that since they already replaced my first phone at the store with a brand new one(went on an infinite reboot loop), that I was only entitled to a refurbished like new phone. However, after reading some reviews on the refurbs it seems like they get better quality control. I'll report back on how it is. Hopefully its nice and tight and no other issues.

-John

That shouldn't happen, if your phone is DOA 50 times within the 30 days, you would get new phones every time.

Basically, the CLNRs are sent to Verizon Wireless by the OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturer). Can I tell if they are new or like-new? No. I have NO way to tell. What the OEMs do is they send us phones to use as replacements. We get them and they go through a HUGE list of tests - signal, performance, bluetooth etc. If it fails just one, it is thrown out. If it passes all tests, it is then checks for cosmetic problems. If necessary, the whole housing is replaced. The newest software is then flashed to the phone. The phone is tested again. Assuming everything is 100%, they send them out to the stores.

The CLNRs go through more tests than regular phones do. You're not getting a phone that someone else had a problem with. The problems it had before were fixed, or you wouldn't get that phone. Just wanted to clear this up.

viperboy

Reaction score
Most of the refurbs being sent out at this point are customer returns within 30 days, or just not liking the phone. The refurbs being sent out now are way less likely to have problems then if you get one 6 months to a year from now. Once they run out of the basic returns then they start dipping into the actual factory refurb phones ( both are sent to factory to be checked / repaired). I wouldnt worry too much about getting a refurb, lots of people (including me) have had good experiences with them. But I would definitely fight about the $40 because you should never have to pay for a manufacturers warranty replacement. I just confirmed that with a rep yesterday when I started my insurance plan on my droid. Manufacturer defect replacements are ALWAYS free. You only have to pay a fee if it was damaged/lost/stolen. Maybe they actually didn't note your account that it wasnt your fault, and they were willing to split the difference of 89 for the usual replacement cost and only charged you 40. Ive never heard of a 40 dollar replacement fee at all.

I think he meant the $50 fee. That's what we charge for OOW (Out of Warranty) repairs or manufacture defects after the 1 year warranty. The $39 would be an insurance claim on a regular device.

pathfin9

Reaction score

-John

That shouldn't happen, if your phone is DOA 50 times within the 30 days, you would get new phones every time.

Basically, the CLNRs are sent to Verizon Wireless by the OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturer). Can I tell if they are new or like-new? No. I have NO way to tell. What the OEMs do is they send us phones to use as replacements. We get them and they go through a HUGE list of tests - signal, performance, bluetooth etc. If it fails just one, it is thrown out. If it passes all tests, it is then checks for cosmetic problems. If necessary, the whole housing is replaced. The newest software is then flashed to the phone. The phone is tested again. Assuming everything is 100%, they send them out to the stores.

The CLNRs go through more tests than regular phones do. You're not getting a phone that someone else had a problem with. The problems it had before were fixed, or you wouldn't get that phone. Just wanted to clear this up.
Ok, thanks for the quick response! So i shouldnt worry that its not a brand new phone, or should I push the issue to get a brand new one?

-John

Last edited:

viperboy

Reaction score

-John

Ok, thanks for the quick response! So i shouldnt worry that its not a brand new phone, or should I push the issue to get a brand new one?

-John

No, you'll be fine. I wouldn't recommend pushing the issue because you probably aren't going to get anywhere. You're replacement should be just fine :)

Litrekid

Reaction score
I just got my second replacement in the white box and it has worked just fine. I was unsure at first because I was still in my 30 day period and expected to get a phone from the store but the problem I was having wasent happening in the store when I took it in of course so I just took the refurb and liked it.

pathfin9

Reaction score

-John

No, you'll be fine. I wouldn't recommend pushing the issue because you probably aren't going to get anywhere. You're replacement should be just fine :)

Ok sounds good!

Thanks for the help!
I'll let you know how it is, looks like i should get it tomorrow!

-John

dl77002

Reaction score
You won't EVER get a CLNR with cosmetic damage.
Oh how I wish this were true.

I had to get a refurb because the power button on my droid was no longer working, and the one they sent me is in really poor condition - my phone was pristine aside from the power button issue. This new one has a deep scratch in the metal on the upper right hand corner, the menu and home buttons don't light up with a white glow but instead with an uneven and faded purple glow, and the screen itself has a light but sickly green tint to it and everything it displays.

Last edited:

maverick

Reaction score
I have a question. I ordered Droid over the weekend from Amazon ($110...:) ) and I bought the insurance which Amazon claims is from the service provider (verizon). So if my phone has a problem then I need to go to Verizon store right? and they will replace it? I dont want to be lost between Amazon and Verizon. Also one of my colleague was waived activation fee cause we work for Govt entity however he bought the phone at the verizon store. So when I go to them this week to activate my phone will they waive my activation fee like they did for my colleague or they will say u have to buy it at the store to qualify for that?

Thanks