Replacements!?

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I have been through 3 droid x's and 2 droid incredibles.

Long story short, verizon reps won't send me a different phone, despite the fact that defective CPO phones litter the country and more specifically, my house!

Fine verizon, but the customer aleays wins in the end... At least in my book, and with that I ask you, what will verizon replace my latest defective phone with when LTE smartphones take over, when the Incredible stops being sold, even as a POS CPO? I have a year to complain about my current phone, which I refused to have replaced with another Incredible. By then, well theoretically could I not just get a BA LTE replacement phone?

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Considering you've been through this 5 times I would imagine they'd send you a brand new phone instead of a CLNR.

I know in the past with original droid, people who replaced 4 times ended up getting brand new phones or the D2 when it came out.

I don't know how you are approaching the vzw customer service, but if you're using language like POS CPO then you will NEVER get your way. Talk civil to them and then they'll try to work something out. I doubt they'd let you get an LTE device when those roll out considering that is quite the upgrade compared to our phones now, but I'm sure they'd give you another model of equivalent specs, such as the Fascinate or Droid 2

Is there something wrong with your phone right now?

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What was wrong with the initial phone?

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
haha don't worry, if anything they wouldn't be able to understand my advanced use of words, which I obviously don't use here on the forums, but as far as the phone situation, the Droid X's didn't like to turn on, they just stared at me with that red eye (wouldn't boot up). The Droid Incredibles, they don't like 3G, so they disconnect whenever I tether. Actually a Droid X had that problem, too.

And I have tethered legally and illegally- VZaccess Manager and PdaNet (USB) tethering works just fine, but when I tether with Barnacle, Wireless Tether for Root Users, or even Verizon's own 3G Mobile Hotspot app (obviously Wi-Fi), I can't hold a 3G connection (or even 1X, icon disappears completely) for more than hald an hour or so. Very weird, and just a little inconvenient haha.

And the rep I talked to said that I can't switch to another phone, I can only switch once. What's the point of that? The whole point of switching models is to fix a problem, if the new phone model has the same issue, then what good is only switching phones once? Once again Verizon's logic makes little sense.

Now back to that 3G disconnection issue, I have a huge thread (Calling all wireless tether-ers!) that pretty much shows all the experiments and tests I did to try and pinpoint the issue. I think it's the Android OS/Verizon's network conflicting. Well not really conflicting, but I think Android sees it is connected to something (my computer) via Wi-Fi and turns off 3G accordingly. Verizon tried to tell me it was my cell reception, not the first excuse I heard from them. No I had the Palm Pixi Plus before the Droids, I tethered just fine with that, no disconnects. And I would stay with the Pixi, if they only put a decent processor in it...

What if I offered to sign a 1-year contract? I can't do another 2-year. I would just buy the htc Thunderbolt (pretty sure you know what that is), but then I would be stuck with the Incredible, and I would rather not bother selling it on eBay...

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well, I hate to tell you this, but it's not the phone, and it's not Android. For the past month or two, I've been having a problem staying connected on both, my D2 and MiFi. They're going to deny the problem, simply because I think it may have something to do with LTE, but when all is said and done, replacing your phone is really not helping the problem.

For the record, it was working fine through about September or so, and in mid-October, I started getting randomly DC'd. However, I can't call in to complain because I'm tethering against their ToS anyway.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
haha don't worry, if anything they wouldn't be able to understand my advanced use of words, which I obviously don't use here on the forums, but as far as the phone situation, the Droid X's didn't like to turn on, they just stared at me with that red eye (wouldn't boot up). The Droid Incredibles, they don't like 3G, so they disconnect whenever I tether. Actually a Droid X had that problem, too.

And I have tethered legally and illegally- VZaccess Manager and PdaNet (USB) tethering works just fine, but when I tether with Barnacle, Wireless Tether for Root Users, or even Verizon's own 3G Mobile Hotspot app (obviously Wi-Fi), I can't hold a 3G connection (or even 1X, icon disappears completely) for more than hald an hour or so. Very weird, and just a little inconvenient haha.

And the rep I talked to said that I can't switch to another phone, I can only switch once. What's the point of that? The whole point of switching models is to fix a problem, if the new phone model has the same issue, then what good is only switching phones once? Once again Verizon's logic makes little sense.

Now back to that 3G disconnection issue, I have a huge thread (Calling all wireless tether-ers!) that pretty much shows all the experiments and tests I did to try and pinpoint the issue. I think it's the Android OS/Verizon's network conflicting. Well not really conflicting, but I think Android sees it is connected to something (my computer) via Wi-Fi and turns off 3G accordingly. Verizon tried to tell me it was my cell reception, not the first excuse I heard from them. No I had the Palm Pixi Plus before the Droids, I tethered just fine with that, no disconnects. And I would stay with the Pixi, if they only put a decent processor in it...

What if I offered to sign a 1-year contract? I can't do another 2-year. I would just buy the htc Thunderbolt (pretty sure you know what that is), but then I would be stuck with the Incredible, and I would rather not bother selling it on eBay...

you could use your incredible as a media device... it plays music, videos and still can go on wifi

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It makes sense because so many have abused the upgrade via warranty/insurance approach. If switching phone models doesn't resolve your problem then there's a good chance that the problem may not be the devices.

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Mi-Fi does it too!? Well as I said, using a third party port of Android 2.3 seems to solve the issue, though I am a little unsure, it lost 3G once, but I messed around with the EPST and that probably caused the problem.

But even if it was Verizon, how do we even begin to figure out a solution? There's really not much we can do here. In any case, it seems like Wi-Fi has something to do with it? Mi-Fi (Wi-Fi) doesn't work apparently, 3G Mobile Hotspot (Wi-Fi) doesn't work, yet I have no problems with tethering my Incredible via VZAccess Manager, and My Palm Pixi Plus (Wi-Fi) tethered just fine. So that leads me to believe changing a setting in EPST may help? Could be a PRL thing maybe? That would explain why I didn't lose 3G with past devices like the Pixi and I used to have unlimited data with a USB-720 modem, that was great haha. I will say that when I had the Pixi (June-October 2010) up until about August, my tethering data speeds sucked. about 256 kbps down, like 10 kbps up. Then magically in August I started getting like 1 Mbps down, 256 Kbps up...

I dunno, just brainstorming here, any have any other ideas? Does anyone know their way around EPST? I have a reasonable understanding from just screwing around, but I still don't know about those numbers like NID I think was one of them? I think a rep had me change that to try and solve the 3G disconnection thing?

As for trying a different phone, I feel like a 4G phone won't have this issue, even though I am not in a 4G area like Orlando, FL, I just kind of want to experiment with it, I am happy with either the Incredible or the Thunderbolt, (which we should be hearing about today at CES!) but the way I see it, if Verizon won't solve this problem, or even acknowledge it, then we as (somewhat) loyal customers have the right to try and fix the problem ourselves.

In fact, before I go through the trouble of contacting Verizon, does anyone think they will go for sending me the Tunderbolt when it comes out, or even when it is available as a CPO, temporarily while I try to figure this issue out. I know they will probably say no, but seriously if I had another phone that worked with 3G Mobile Hotspot, I could compare its settings with say the Incredible's, from there I may be able to figure out the problem for the Incredible, X, Droid 2, all the Droids. Worth a shot, right? Hell I may just use one of my upgrades to get it, I just need a little more money lol.

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
It makes sense because so many have abused the upgrade via warranty/insurance approach. If switching phone models doesn't resolve your problem then there's a good chance that the problem may not be the devices.

You have a point, too many abusers, but hey different Droids have different hardware, slightly different software (UIs and such), it could be argued both ways though.

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
By the way, I used to be able to hold my 3G connection while using Mobile Hotspot for like 20 minutes, now I can't hold it for more than 5 minutes as of today.. Anyone else?

Detonation

Reaction score
Considering you've been through this 5 times I would imagine they'd send you a brand new phone instead of a CLNR.

I know in the past with original droid, people who replaced 4 times ended up getting brand new phones or the D2 when it came out.

The reason people got new D2's was because they were out of refurb droids. I have been through 4 Droids, 3 Incredibles, and I'm my first X replacement right now. It is near to impossible to get a new phone, especially when you have other line(s) with upgrades available. Once you go through enough of one phone and get fed up, they'll just offer you a different CLNR model.

By now I'd say it's pretty common knowledge how poor the CLNR's are. It seems Verizon/manufacturers would rather just keep giving you replacements until you get a good one instead of pay to actual refurbish them properly. I mean my second Inc replacement still had the previous user's screen protector still on it...how little do they look at them to "certify" they are like new? And the longer the phone has been out, the more likely you're going to get a bad one as they are cycled through the system over and over.

Last edited:

Beka27

Reaction score
Lol... I was having an issue with my EnV2 over the summer, brought it in, they had a CLNR sent to the house. I received it, took it in to activate. Everything is great...

As I'm walking out of the door at Verizon, I start texting. Half of my qwerty keyboard DOESN'T EVEN WORK! I turn around and I said, "Dude, really?!" They sent me a phone that was actually worse off than my original.

(I was probably only a month away from my 20 month upgrade... they wouldn't budge.)

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
The irony is that the refurb center complains about getting phones that work flawlessly. Yeah right

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App