What's the best way to delete pre-installed bloatware?

MxChris

Reaction score
What's the best way to delete all the pre-installed bloatware?

I don't care about Skype or Amazon mp3, CityID and a few others, how can I get rid of these? I see LauncherPro has the ability to hide apps but I'd much rather uninstall them as i have absolutely no use for the ones listed above.

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You have to root your phone in order to remove preinstalled software.

Reaction score
Certain roms come with scripts built in to be able to run to remove any app, if it doesn't come built in I'm not entirely sure how

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't recommend deleting the bloatware, just freeze it with Titanium Backup Pro. You have to have root access to do this though. That way when another OTA update comes out all you have to do is un-freeze the apps and accept the update.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App.

1.)http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...-dummies-guide-android-terminoligy-lingo.html
2.)http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/70875-what-you-need-know-about-rooting.html
3.)http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...08-multiple-phones-root-them-unroot-them.html

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You need to be rooted in order to install a custom ROM and/or Titanium Backup.

moviemogul

Reaction score
I just went into Root Explorer (a rooted Market app) and deleted the bloat.. Be careful with that though.. I accidentally deleted the Voicemail app, and now I have an icon with no program...lol

Everything else is gone though.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

OP
M

MxChris

Reaction score
I don't have any interest in a different ROM, stock is fine with me. Does rooting void my warranty or prevent me from getting updates?

devator22

Reaction score
Rooting does void your warrenty, but as long as you don't damage your phone in the process you can always unroot when you take it in. Physical defects are not caused by rooting, so they won't usually say anything about it being rooted if the keyboard is broken or something. But aside from that, it will block OTA updates from Verizon. In order to get them, you will have to unroot, and download the update, and then re-root it once someone has a rooted stock rom. Or, just wait for the rooted rom, skip the middle step and install it yourself. As far as your original question, like previous posters suggested, you can use root explorer, which is $2, but well worth it, to remove stock apps. The titanium backup freezing apps thing I am not familiar with. I use TI, but only for backups.

Sent from my brain, with the help of my Droid...

OP
M

MxChris

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone, it's much appreciated.

I picked up Root Explorer as it seems to be very handy in general. I guess my final question is if I do remove the .apk files for these stock apps will that prevent me from receiving updates in the future? Especially if the update is attempting to update one of the nonexistent apps....