Whats the best movie converter for the Droid?

Crazy

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to put movies on my Droid so what would the best converter be?

I've heard many pros and cons... so I want to make sure. Such as the audio being behind and such.

I'm coming from an iPhone user... so I had no past problems, so yeah.

Thank You!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
DVD Catalyst 3 works very well, I use it all the time.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Moved to correct sub-forum

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Define "best". Everyone seems to toss it around as if the real world is one-size-fits-all.

I've been happy with DVD Catalyst and Handbrake.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've purchased my Droid last December and use it daily (email, music, browser, phone). I've not used it to view movies,however.

My searches provide several different viewing solutions. My questions:
It appears that I need to convert the movie file before I copy to my SD card. I'm guessing that the conversion takes place on my computer. Then, like a song, I mount my phone and drag the converted movie to my SD card. Is that correct?

Are there sites that I can access (purchase or rent) movies that have already been converted? If so, can you please point me in that direction.

Thanks in advance for replies.

Mike

D

dvdcatalyst

I've purchased my Droid last December and use it daily (email, music, browser, phone). I've not used it to view movies,however.

My searches provide several different viewing solutions. My questions:
It appears that I need to convert the movie file before I copy to my SD card. I'm guessing that the conversion takes place on my computer. Then, like a song, I mount my phone and drag the converted movie to my SD card. Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct. There are some video player in the market that enable support for avi files, however, the Droid has hardware-support for MP4 files, which look better and use less battery.

Are there sites that I can access (purchase or rent) movies that have already been converted? If so, can you please point me in that direction.

Mike

Internet Archive: Free Movies, Music, Books & Wayback Machine has free legal movies you can watch on the Droid

Besides collecting websites, they collect movies and TV shows that are out of copyright. Older movies, such as Hercules, Ben Hur, Cleopatra and more. The best thing about it is, they provide downloads to these movies in different video formats, including MP4, which is compatible with most current video devices.

Movies

TV

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

Mike

If you liked the series Mystery Science Theater 3000 you might like RiffTrax at RiffTrax | We don't make movies, we make them funny! This is run by Mike Nelson, Kevin "Tom Servo" Murphy and Bill "Crow T. Robot (version 2)" Corbett. Although you don't see them at the bottom of the screen, you still hear the commentaries.

It's done 3 ways. The first won't work for us, but you download their free viewer, then buy a riff of a movie (like Avatar or Day After Tomorrow). When you put your copy of the movie into your computer and use their player, the riffs sync with the movie.

The second is older movies (like Plan 9 From Outer Space or Reefer Madness) with the riffs already in place. You can either download the movie or get in on DVD. That works as I have Plan 9 in mp4.

The third is the best; it's public domain shorts that you can download in a variety of formats (including mp4) for only 99 cents each. They're anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes each so it's easy to see a complete short if you want to kill a few minutes.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I'm on my way to the sites you both provide.

Mike