Handbrake help needed

misaac

Reaction score
I had converted a few videos perfectly following these instructions. Video played full screen on the droid and audio was in sync.

The problem I am having now is that handbrake won't let me set the video width higher than 672. I put 854 in and it automatically changes it to 672. And when I convert it it isn't using the full screen.

Does it have something to do with the file I am converting?

D

dvdcatalyst

I had converted a few videos perfectly following these instructions. Video played full screen on the droid and audio was in sync.

The problem I am having now is that handbrake won't let me set the video width higher than 672. I put 854 in and it automatically changes it to 672. And when I convert it it isn't using the full screen.

Handbrake doesnt upscale by default. it uses your original video size if that is smaller than the screensize you are selecting. This is normal behavior for all video conversion tools, as upscaling just reduced quality. The same as blowing up a picture to a bigger resolution, the individual dots/pixels will just increase in size, and as a result the conversion has to deal with more pixels to maintain the quality. The video player app on the Droid will scale the video to a better fill on your screen anyway.

OP
misaac

misaac

Reaction score

Handbrake doesnt upscale by default. it uses your original video size if that is smaller than the screensize you are selecting. This is normal behavior for all video conversion tools, as upscaling just reduced quality. The same as blowing up a picture to a bigger resolution, the individual dots/pixels will just increase in size, and as a result the conversion has to deal with more pixels to maintain the quality. The video player app on the Droid will scale the video to a better fill on your screen anyway.

Makes perfect sense. So I guess I just have to deal with the fact that some movies may let me fill the screen and others won't.

Thanks for your reply....

D

dvdcatalyst

I havent used Handbrake for a while (my name should indicate why) so I can not help you with the full specifics, however, I can give you some pointers.

You are correct in the resolution, however, the Droid's video player should upscale the video for you to at least make either the width (for widescreen movies) or the height (4:3 movies) fill all the way. Handbrake has a few "cropping" options you can play with that will enable you to fill the screen.
Anamorphic is one of these settings, and is something a lot of people use. This setting will stretch the video to fit the desired resolution, and if you enable this, I am guessing you can select the actual Droid resolution.It can produce some undesired effects, for example if you convert a 4:3 movie to a widescreen device, it will stretch the video, and people will look short and stubby.

I suggest to look in the documentation on their website.

AnamorphicGuide ? HandBrake

While the latest version is faster, I suggest to use the previous version for better results. Based on their changelog it appears that while some new stuff (preview option) has been added, a lot more has been removed.

HandBrake