What would you guys consider to be "Essential" applications?

bitter

Reaction score
I'm just curious what everyone here runs. I see some really awesome setups, but I have no idea how to do it. I've considered that whole rooting thing, but I just don't want to run the risk of bricking my phone. I figure the actual 2.1 will be out soon.

But what do you guys consider necessities?

OP
bitter

bitter

Reaction score
Thanks to whoever deleted that crap.

moot

Reaction score
xscope browser and streamfurious (shoutcast and podcast streaming) are the only 2 apps I use on a daily basis, and would consider them essential to my usage of my phone.

I'd get Home++, as well. Adds a lot of great functionality.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well if you're not going to root (and even if you do end up rooting), I would download Beautiful Widgets first.

OP
bitter

bitter

Reaction score
I'm using Home++ right now, FC's a lot. All of this overclocking talk has me intrigued. I've been going through thread after thread about rooting in the hack's forum, but I can't bring myself to do it.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm using Home++ right now, FC's a lot. All of this overclocking talk has me intrigued. I've been going through thread after thread about rooting in the hack's forum, but I can't bring myself to do it.

Personally, I don't like the home replacement apps. They use up memory and all of them will FC every now and then. If you do decide to root and overclock, I think you'll be amazed at how smooth things are. If you want more homescreens and a new look, you can root and use some of the Android 2.1 apps and features (5 homescreens, 3d app drawer, etc).

OP
bitter

bitter

Reaction score
Do you think it's worth it? When the actual 2.1 is released, will the phone update just like normal? And the phone will still be rooted with super-user access? I'm pretty sure at this point that every droid owner on this board has rooted their phone.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think it's COMPLETELY worth it. I am running the Sholes ROM and overclocked at 1ghz. The phone runs SO smooth now without any lag. When 2.1 is officially released (and we have no idea when that will be), you'll have to revert back to stock 2.0.1 to update because they are purposely blocked when running most ROMS. If you root, you can use every app/feature from 2.1 anyways, so you won't be missing out on anything.

OP
bitter

bitter

Reaction score
I think it's COMPLETELY worth it. I am running the Sholes ROM and overclocked at 1ghz. The phone runs SO smooth now without any lag. When 2.1 is officially released (and we have no idea when that will be), you'll have to revert back to stock 2.0.1 to update because they are purposely blocked when running most ROMS. If you root, you can use every app/feature from 2.1 anyways, so you won't be missing out on anything.

Is there a way to downgrade when it actually happens? Also, since you know what you are doing, and have overclocked, is there anyway you could help me through the process?

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score

Is there a way to downgrade when it actually happens? Also, since you know what you are doing, and have overclocked, is there anyway you could help me through the process?

Yeah, it's really easy to downgrade to a stock 2.0.1. I'd be happy to help you through the process if you decide to root, although it is midnight here on the east coast and I need to get some sleep before work. If you decide to root and want some help, feel free to PM me and I'll walk you through it.

OP
bitter

bitter

Reaction score
Midnight here too! I just PMd you though.

deputc26

Reaction score
Yah if anyone wants help with root let me know, I'll always help.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
But what do you guys consider necessities?
You're going to get answers all across the board with a question like that, but here goes:

Touchdown
xScope
NESoid
Astro
USAA Mobile
Jewels
Barcode Scanner
Weatherbug
Quick Profiles
Yelp
Google Voice

It might be a more useful discussion if you ask "Why?" as well as "What?". Necessities are very subjective.