What speeds is everyone getting over 3g?

Guchi

Reaction score
Getting roughly 1000-1400 down in Washington DC area and 500-800 up kbps.

I hope everyone realizes the difference between kbps (kiloBITS per sec) vs kB/s (kiloBYTES per sec)

kB/s is generally the speed you would see when downloading a file on your home computer not kbps.

I don't know what the conversion is but, 1000 kbps is roughly around 130 kB/s

Kilobyte per second
A kilobyte per second (kB/s or kBps) is a unit of data transfer rate equal to:
and

Kilobit per second
A kilobit per second (kbit/s or kb/s or kbps) is a unit of data transfer rate equal to:
the difference is the upper case letters

baniels

Reaction score
Southeast Iowa - Speedtest.net App

3G
1,822 down
826 up

WIFI
13,991 down
1,128 up

windstrings

Reaction score
So whats the deal with AT&Ts fastest 3g network...."if you don't drop out" is that a bunch of crap or real and if so, what kinda speeds are they getting?... Do you have to be in front of the tower?

Whats different about the technology they use?... two way data?

sc4fpse

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else posted this, but if you click one of the links at the bottom of the results page, you will find this:

How fast are the other carriers? Sprint average speed: 623.44 kbps
Verizon average speed: 944.42 kbps
AT&T average speed: 546.16 kbps
T-Mobile average speed: 885.7 kbps
Alltel average speed: 840.94 kbps
Metro PCS average speed: 548.52 kbps
AT&T fastest? Really? Metro PCS beat them out.

Metro PCS FFS.

Also, from East Lansing, MI:
1121081125.jpg

Ran a few tests, and this was the highest. Others were between 675 and 975 kbps.

Last edited:

johfiner

Reaction score
with the speedtest.net app i got 833 down and 863 up. this is in kalamazoo, mi, indoors with two bars. i'll try it when i have full bars and see if that's any better... i can't believe the upstream is faster!

edit: so i ran the test again when i had full service and got better results: 1500 down and 843e up. i don't know if anyone cares, but i thought maybe some other kalamazoo'er might be interested

Last edited:

windstrings

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else posted this, but if you click one of the links at the bottom of the results page, you will find this:

Metro PCS FFS.

1121081125.jpg

Ran a few tests, and this was the highest. Others were between 675 and 975 kbps.

So on what basis does AT& T do their advertisement bragging otherwise?
Pure lies or what? :icon_evil:

According to that chart, they need to advertise they are the "slowest!"

sc4fpse

Reaction score

Metro PCS FFS.

1121081125.jpg

So on what basis does AT& T do their advertisement bragging otherwise?
Pure lies or what? :icon_evil:

According to that chart, they need to advertise they are the "slowest!"

I guess they figure that with a pretty face like Luke Wilson in their commercials, their iPhone-toting herd of sheep will continue to "baa" pleasantly and believe everything they tell them.

Problem is, they're right.

Recalling another thread or two that I read (I can't recall which ones for the life of me -- Sorry!), it might be that their network has the capability to be the fastest. In a perfect world, their infrastructure at a certain point would allow them to be the fastest of the listed networks. Problem is, we don't live in a perfect world. Far from it, as we see with the real average speed listed for AT&T. So while they are unlikely to be in any legal trouble over false advertising, it's still unethical to claim they're the fastest, and Luke Wilson is still a douchebag.

windstrings

Reaction score
Recalling another thread or two that I read (I can't recall which ones for the life of me -- Sorry!), it might be that their network has the capability to be the fastest. In a perfect world, their infrastructure at a certain point would allow them to be the fastest of the listed networks. Problem is, we don't live in a perfect world. Far from it, as we see with the real average speed listed for AT&T. So while they are unlikely to be in any legal trouble over false advertising, it's still unethical to claim they're the fastest, and Luke Wilson is still a douchebag.

I remember in school if I made 3 100's and one zero because I didn't turn in my work.. I still only made a "C" with a score of 75.

Maybe everytime AT&T's signal drops out, it kills what would have been a good score... or are they not even counting that either? :)

Isn't that kinda like saying sex is good!.... if and when I can get it, but too many misfires and can't keep up the pace?
Does AT&T have a pill for that? :icon_ banana:

opps... just realized.. this is my 666th post! :icon_ devil:

sc4fpse

Reaction score

I remember in school if I made 3 100's and one zero because I didn't turn in my work.. I still only made a "C" with a score of 75.

Maybe everytime AT&T's signal drops out, it kills what would have been a good score... or are they not even counting that either? :)

Isn't that kinda like saying sex is good!.... if and when I can get it, but too many misfires and can't keep up the pace?
Does AT&T have a pill for that? :icon_ banana:

opps... just realized.. this is my 666th post! :icon_ devil:

I'm laughing too hard to figure out how exactly to respond to this. :icon_ goofy:

pdm0376

Reaction score
This app is useless seeing the nearest server to me is 400 miles away. Can you say uninstall