What speeds is everyone getting over 3g?

Droid X Doug

Reaction score
That's quite the exaggeration. Att hspa is typically 3-8 mbps. Vzw 3G maxes out around 2.5 mbps. LTE definitely runs below 30+mbps.
Not really. A friend who ate a $200 ETF to get the AT&T edition 4S is seeing a max of 2 mb/s down in the afternoon and evenings in the San Mateo, CA area. My Droid X on VZW would get around 1 mb/s down in the same area and times. My RAZR is getting north of 22 mb/s down in the same area and times. Before the RAZR was released, the friend was bragging about how their 4S was faster than my Droid X. With the RAZR, the tables are now turned. IMO, if Apple doesn't release an iPhone with an LTE radio in 2012, they are going to see erosion in their sales. I have responded to e-mails with large attachments (.doc, .ppt and .xls files) while they are waiting for the download to complete.

ex0rcist

Reaction score
3g from a nj server.. (im in ny)
CAP201112010911.jpg

4g from nh server (in ny)
CAP201112010902.jpg

Wifi
CAP201112010900.jpg

And people wonder why big red dominates.. that 4 g run was made with only 3 bars of service. 3g was 5 bars... this is why I wouldn't even consider any other devices on any other network as being a top of device...its like cool u have a fast sgII... TOO BAD my 3 g approaches ur "4g" speeds. Lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Fixed. Not bad eh? :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Droid X Doug

Reaction score
Test Date: Nov 24, 2011 3:28:40 pm
Connection Type: Lte
Server: Herndon, VA
Download: 20567 kbps
Upload: 5874 kbps
Ping: 84 ms

sent from my Droid RAZR. 1st android after almost 4 years with apple.
I am reliably seeing 22+ mb/s down and 10+ mb/s up with ping times in the 30 to 40 msec range in the San Mateo, CA area. This is better than cable modem service I have with Comcast.

Snow02

Reaction score
Not really. A friend who ate a $200 ETF to get the AT&T edition 4S is seeing a max of 2 mb/s down in the afternoon and evenings in the San Mateo, CA area. My Droid X on VZW would get around 1 mb/s down in the same area and times. My RAZR is getting north of 22 mb/s down in the same area and times. Before the RAZR was released, the friend was bragging about how their 4S was faster than my Droid X. With the RAZR, the tables are now turned. IMO, if Apple doesn't release an iPhone with an LTE radio in 2012, they are going to see erosion in their sales. I have responded to e-mails with large attachments (.doc, .ppt and .xls files) while they are waiting for the download to complete.

I never said LTE wasn't amazing. But claiming that at its worst it's 10x faster than hspa at its best is needless proselytizing.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am reliably seeing 22+ mb/s down and 10+ mb/s up with ping times in the 30 to 40 msec range in the San Mateo, CA area. This is better than cable modem service I have with Comcast.

I'm curious about the upload speeds, no matter what I try (3g and various wifi even on a computer) the upload speeds never get much above 1 MB/s...is that normal even for wifi?

supercharged modified liquid 3.1 w/turbocharged 3g
Pete's 5 slot lv 1.25GHz w/ kickasskernel tweaks
19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

Droid X Doug

Reaction score
I'm curious about the upload speeds, no matter what I try (3g and various wifi even on a computer) the upload speeds never get much above 1 MB/s...is that normal even for wifi?

19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score
WiFi up speed is a function of the service the WiFi hub/router is connected to. DSL can vary from around 384 kb/s to maybe 1.5 mb/s, depending on the service level provided by the telco central office. Cable service upload speeds vary based on the number of users doing uploading when the measurement is taken as well as the capacity of the cable loop in the area. My Comcast cable service generally runs around 6 - 8 mb/s up, unless someone on the loop is doing file transfers to their office or friends. Then, it can drop to as low as 1 mb/s, but that usually doesn't stay that slow for very long (a few minutes).

Last edited:

Droid X Doug

Reaction score
I never said LTE wasn't amazing. But claiming that at its worst it's 10x faster than hspa at its best is needless proselytizing.
I don't know about your experience with HSPA speed, but in my area, it is not living up to its potential. Whether that is the fault of AT&T is frankly, not my concern. As far as the alleged proselytizing, the LTE network speed speaks for itself.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't know about your experience with HSPA speed, but in my area, it is not living up to its potential. Whether that is the fault of AT&T is frankly, not my concern. As far as the alleged proselytizing, the LTE network speed speaks for itself.

However AT&T has a good idea I wish Verizon could/would pick up...AT&T's plan is LTE around major cities like Verizon is, however they will also have hspa+ for most other areas and only regular 3g in the most remote areas...so instead of going from 5-20 mbps to .5-2.5 mbps like Verizon they will be more like going from 5-20 mbps to 2-5 mbps...obviously its not hard to tell which idea is better lol

19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

Droid X Doug

Reaction score
However AT&T has a good idea I wish Verizon could/would pick up...AT&T's plan is LTE around major cities like Verizon is, however they will also have hspa+ for most other areas and only regular 3g in the most remote areas...so instead of going from 5-20 mbps to .5-2.5 mbps like Verizon they will be more like going from 5-20 mbps to 2-5 mbps...obviously its not hard to tell which idea is better lol

19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score
Yeah, AT&T just needs to have coverage.... As an example, one would think that AT&T would have coverage along the major highways, right? Well not exactly. There are significant holes in AT&T's coverage along major highways. One that I am quite familiar with is U.S. 101 in central California (south of Salinas). There are places where I have zero coverage on my iPad 1. With my RAZR, I am at least able to use the hotspot at 1 mb/s, which is better than nothing....