4G speed oddities

roscko

Reaction score
Sometimes when I check my 4g speeds using speedtest.net app, it would show a download of speed of 300-600 kbps but upload speeds would be 2000-7000 kbps ( that's right, my download speeds would be much slower than my upload speeds!).

I could repeat the test several times and get similar results. I would then do a complete reboot of the phone, and 50% of the time my speeds would bump back to 10000-25000 kbps download and 5000-20000 kbps upload.

What's up with that?! Anyone else getting similar results?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

tbr478

Reaction score
I am experiencing the same issue. Has yours been resolved, and if so, what did you do to fix it?

Reaction score
Its either 20 mb sometimes it 9 mb i dont get it

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
My speeds fluctuate, depending on tower load, and it can be extreme.

Also there are areas that are 4g in its infancy stages, still 4g, and areas that are really 3.5g.... truth be told its all really 3.5g... just some areas like Chicago are fast, from what I'm told. And where I am, Beaumont/Port Arthur, its fast, but along highway 73 towards Louisiana... its slower. Considered extended coverage.

sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

Last edited:

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Technically speaking LTE is not 4G its just an evolution of the current network. The 4G branding is used because most people don't understand that LTE comes after 3G. It's more or less a marketing gimmick.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

OP
R

roscko

Reaction score
I just want to reiterate that even when I am in the SAME location, after rebooting my phone, my 4g speeds would sometimes increase back to its original speeds. So location is not a factor.

I have not found a fix for this problem yet. My only solution is to keep rebooting the phone until my normal 4g speeds with return.....

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I can be at my house, which is in 4g, not extended coverage... and do a speed test, and peg the needle on download, and get about 5kbps on upload, then I can test again 10 mins later, and get much higher or much lower results.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Just now my ping was 87ms, 8671kbps for download, 401 for upload. Upload was pretty pathetic

wxman2003

Reaction score
You will get different speeds every time you test it. Other people are likely using that same tower, and depending on how congested the tower is, your speeds will vary. Weather will affect it. A windy day will cause speeds to vary considerably. If you have a lot of trees near you that have all leafed out, will affect your speeds. An inversion will have a major affect and create fluctuating speeds. The wavelength and frequency used by mobile operators is not the best and can easily be affect by weather, vegetation and buildings.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
You will get different speeds every time you test it. Other people are likely using that same tower, and depending on how congested the tower is, your speeds will vary. Weather will affect it. A windy day will cause speeds to vary considerably. If you have a lot of trees near you that have all leafed out, will affect your speeds. An inversion will have a major affect and create fluctuating speeds. The wavelength and frequency used by mobile operators is not the best and can easily be affect by weather, vegetation and buildings.

Thanx for the advice... I'm aware of that. And its the point I was trying to illustrate. Thank you though. :)