What speeds is everyone getting over 3g?

Dandar

Reaction score
Getting roughly 1000-1400 down in Washington DC area and 500-800 up kbps.

I hope everyone realizes the difference between kbps (kiloBITS per sec) vs kB/s (kiloBYTES per sec)

kB/s is generally the speed you would see when downloading a file on your home computer not kbps.

I don't know what the conversion is but, 1000 kbps is roughly around 130 kB/s

reggin

Reaction score
1,000 here in Philadelphia.

this just further goes to prove my point earlier in another post.. why even bother with Wifi when 3g is so fast?

(sorry, I'm kind of a newb when it comes to wifi so I'm not sure if there is some hidden benefit)

-Wil

Do a test on wifi and you'll see why wifi is better. It's faster download speed on wifi and that makes it more attractive.

reggin

Reaction score
W00T!! Just got a reading of 3902!!!!

Then I realised that I had wifi on.

That's slow for wifi, I had 7855 down on wifi.

Edit: just had 8139 on wifi too. It's funny, the closest server to me was actually slower than one several hundred miles away.

Last edited:

jayrage22

Reaction score
speeds on 3g and wifi

Wow everyone is getting a lot faster speeds on the 3g than I am I had a lot faster speed on alltels 1x cdma verizon bought them out and I was excited to get to try the well advertised 3g network and its not that great maybe its my phone or settings but somethings not right my speed on the 3g should be a lot faster please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. On 3g I'm getting 176,156 with wifi when I get one its 3704,497

reggin

Reaction score
Change the server you're trying to test with. I changed to a different one and it increased dramatically for 3G.

jayrage22

Reaction score
I changed servers like you suggested and it made a realy big difference I'm now getting 861,186 not bad still wish it was little faster but I guess we can't be picky thanks so much for your help its nice to get help when its needed.

Jeremy556

Reaction score
309212.png

jayrage22

Reaction score
Hey jeremy556 try changing the settings on the speedtest to kbps and see the results

Jeremy556

Reaction score
Hey jeremy556 try changing the settings on the speedtest to kbps and see the results
I will next time I'm out. Ironically, at my house, I barely have any connectivity with Verizon, I miss most cell calls. 800 feet in any direction and I have full signal strength, though.:icon_rolleyes:

ETA: After a few failed tries, I got this at my house, which is in a highly populated suburb just north of Atlanta.
327499.png

Seems their email image only does Mbps. On the application itself it shows 27 kbps down 8 kbps up and 222ms ping.

Last edited:

shane1v

Reaction score
Forgive my cluelessness- but how the hell does mobilespeedtest.com get my phone speed by just going to the site and clicking??

Jeremy556

Reaction score
Forgive my cluelessness- but how the hell does mobilespeedtest.com get my phone speed by just going to the site and clicking??
Transfers data to and from the test server, measures how long said data takes to transfer.

It is a bit more involved than that, but that is basically what it does.