What issues have you experienced with Droid Eris?

Screwball

Reaction score
OK... I know crap happens and there is no phone that is perfect, certainly the Eris... But maybe ya'll should just cash in at Verizon and go with the iPhone at AT&T! And then see what happens there eh!! Doh!!

I can feel the love now!

wkwaggoner

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid turbo 2
....I Emailed VZW....I received a Email back from a Mr. Trelawn....very professional in every way....I called him and he was able to "help"-"assist" with my problem....VZW is a solid business....try to bs them and they will let you know what the contract states....but ask for help as a human being and they will listen and try to help their Client in any way they can within reason....your term of service, your loyalty, your prompt payment, and other things that qualify a Client in Good Standing goes a long way....they did not "give me" a DI, I did not receive it at the upgrade price-far from it, nor did I demand a new one, or refuse to pay for it....all I asked was for assiatance in solving the issue my Wife was having with her Eris after the 2.1 update....when treated as we all like to be treated, with no threats or what ever else some people do to try and get their own way, VZW will listen to you....it is just that simple....I had a problem and was offered a solution which I thankfully accepted....they RULE THE AIR in my book....I can't say it any other way....

StormyHeather

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S21
Twitter
GAPeachHeather
Wife has an Eris.... First phone was o.k. until the 2.1 update came around. After the update phone was freezing on a daily basis, only a battery pull would reset it. Got an Eris replacement (phone # 2). While on vacation the homescreen would go all the way to the left. It was fun to watch, push the home button and it would return to the center screen and then slide all the way to the far left screen. And when it was charged it would slide all the way to the left homescreen and would not budge. A new phone was sent to our home since the Verizon store did not have any in stock. Phone # 3 was working until recently until the homescreen slide to the left started again and the charging USB chord had to be held in a precised position or the phone would not charge. We are now on Eris # 4. Verizon refuses to do anything other than give us another crappy Eris. The most frustrating experience ever. They refuse to admit that the Eris is junk. We were told there is another software update to fix all the problems which made me laugh. She was offered an LG Ally as a replacement which is a downgrade. I have the Droid 1 and have had ZERO problems. I am a huge believer in Motorola products and now would probably never buy another HTC product. Very disappointed in Verizon support also. I used to think that people who had stories like this either made this up or were not made for a smart phone, but after this experience I am a believer. At what point does Verizon say enough is enough? Apparently going through this many phones and wasting your day and spending more time setting up your phone again and again is o.k. I pay my bill every month, I expect a solid product for my money.

WOW. My home screen started sliding to the extreme left screen just after an update last week. Whenever the phone is plugged in charging (wall plug or car) it does this. It is most annoying. I took it to the Verizon store and I was advised to do a factory reset on the phone. Now, I don't know how this would fix it, because if it is a bug in the software, then it would just happen again AND I would have to set up the phone all over again.

Another weird issue: for my Favorites contacts, it ALWAYS loses my mom's default phone number to call. It always comes up with the "choose default action" when I select her picture to call her.

Also, after last weeks update: when plugged in and charging: when typing messages (I use Swype), the cursor ROAMS all over the place. I'll be typing and all of sudden, the cursor goes to the beginning of the sentence!

Programs that randomly open:

• I have NEVER opened Amazon MP3, but for some reason, it randomly opens every day.
  • Messages opens randomly. I don't text. The only time I've opened Messages was to get a text from Handmark for programs that I purchased to be downloaded onto my phone.
  • Clock. Why? I have HTC Sense (which I love) and have no need for Clock to open.
  • Peep. I use Tweetcaster for my tweeting. I don't use this and it pops up every time I have a reply to a Tweet.
I've also noticed when plugged in and charging, the phone takes a couple seconds to respond to touch commands.

I love the phone, but wish these bugs would be taken care of. I really wish that I could get a Droid X.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wife has an Eris.... First phone was o.k. until the 2.1 update came around. After the update phone was freezing on a daily basis, only a battery pull would reset it. Got an Eris replacement (phone # 2). While on vacation the homescreen would go all the way to the left. It was fun to watch, push the home button and it would return to the center screen and then slide all the way to the far left screen. And when it was charged it would slide all the way to the left homescreen and would not budge. A new phone was sent to our home since the Verizon store did not have any in stock. Phone # 3 was working until recently until the homescreen slide to the left started again and the charging USB chord had to be held in a precised position or the phone would not charge. We are now on Eris # 4. Verizon refuses to do anything other than give us another crappy Eris. The most frustrating experience ever. They refuse to admit that the Eris is junk. We were told there is another software update to fix all the problems which made me laugh. She was offered an LG Ally as a replacement which is a downgrade. I have the Droid 1 and have had ZERO problems. I am a huge believer in Motorola products and now would probably never buy another HTC product. Very disappointed in Verizon support also. I used to think that people who had stories like this either made this up or were not made for a smart phone, but after this experience I am a believer. At what point does Verizon say enough is enough? Apparently going through this many phones and wasting your day and spending more time setting up your phone again and again is o.k. I pay my bill every month, I expect a solid product for my money.

WOW. My home screen started sliding to the extreme left screen just after an update last week. Whenever the phone is plugged in charging (wall plug or car) it does this. It is most annoying. I took it to the Verizon store and I was advised to do a factory reset on the phone. Now, I don't know how this would fix it, because if it is a bug in the software, then it would just happen again AND I would have to set up the phone all over again.

Another weird issue: for my Favorites contacts, it ALWAYS loses my mom's default phone number to call. It always comes up with the "choose default action" when I select her picture to call her.

Also, after last weeks update: when plugged in and charging: when typing messages (I use Swype), the cursor ROAMS all over the place. I'll be typing and all of sudden, the cursor goes to the beginning of the sentence!

Programs that randomly open:

• I have NEVER opened Amazon MP3, but for some reason, it randomly opens every day.
  • Messages opens randomly. I don't text. The only time I've opened Messages was to get a text from Handmark for programs that I purchased to be downloaded onto my phone.
  • Clock. Why? I have HTC Sense (which I love) and have no need for Clock to open.
  • Peep. I use Tweetcaster for my tweeting. I don't use this and it pops up every time I have a reply to a Tweet.
I've also noticed when plugged in and charging, the phone takes a couple seconds to respond to touch commands.

I love the phone, but wish these bugs would be taken care of. I really wish that I could get a Droid X.

Heather, the X is a great phone, as is the HTC Incredible.

However, maybe we can try to remedy your Eris and make your remaining time with that phone better.

First, doing a factory reset may or may not help. However, doing it will rule it out if the problems persists, so then Verizon will be more inclined to give you a replacement. (By the way, getting a replacement is about the same as doing a factory reset.)

Doing some reading yesterday, I saw that when people root sometimes a static charge causes the trackball to quit working. Maybe this is similar to what you are experiencing (static charge is causing the trackball to scroll the phone to the left).

Here is what I found:

A small number of people have reported trackball issues with the Amon_RA custom recovery. If I recall correctly, it happened to me once - but I pulled the battery, and never had the problem since.

The problem - whatever it is - must be something about the way the Amon_RA kernel interacts with the trackball; it doesn't have anything to do with this particular method of rooting, as the same thing has been occasionally reported using other rooting methods.

As for a fix, you might try completely powering off the device, removing the battery, and operating the trackball to eliminate any static charge when the device is first booted. Or, see if you observe any difference with the device with/without power applied through the USB. Or, just reboot a couple times and see if that makes any difference.
Based on that this is the order I would do things:

1) Try the fixes for the trackball in the last paragraph quoted above.

If that doesn't work then:

2) Do a factory reset. (Be sure to back up all of your apps using Astro File Manager first to help with recovery.)

If that doesn't work then:

3) Go back to Verizon, tell them you did the reset and it didn't work. If they give you a new phone remember to use your SD Card, not the one in the new phone, so you can restore you apps.

Also, the trackball thing could be the reason random apps open.

StormyHeather

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S21
Twitter
GAPeachHeather
Thanks for the information. I'm upgrading to a DroidX (I stole my sister's upgrade) and she's going to get my Eris. I'll just rest everything when I turn it over to her. When I was talking to a friend that works at Verizon, he said that for some reason, the Eris has more issues with updating than other phones. I feel fortunate that my phone didn't have some of the wonky problems that others have.

Maybe I should see about doing that "root" thing, once I figure out what the heck it is. I need to make the phone as easy as possible for my sister. She's not very technology minded.

Grettski

Reaction score
My wife and I both have the Eris since last December. We had a few problems with it at first but just kinda dealt with it. Phone not ringing on every call, and some dropped calls. Like everyone else we were told the "update" was a week away, then a month, then next month. We both felt flat out lied to when we bought them. Anyway, after the update we did the factory data reset on both phones. The problems started soon after. Dropped calls, calls come in and it rings once then just shows a missed call. Cant unlock the screen to answer a call about 10 times a week. I asked my wife why she didn't answer any of my calls one day and she said it didn't ring. So I checked out her phone. Ringer was on and she had 5 missed calls. So I called it right there from my phone. Nothin. Went from 5 to 6 missed calls right in front of me. Re-started it and then it gets calls. My sons summer camp tried to call her last week. They tried her 3 times, then tried mine three times. They ended up calling someone else who called my work phone to get ahold of me. We aren't eligible for upgrade for like 14 months and I cant see dealing with this for that long. I don't deserve an X or DI, but it would be nice to have a Moto. Just a phone that works. I have written Verizon but I haven't heard anything back yet. I have friends that are on their fifth replacement Eris and still has the same problems and my wife and I really don't want to go through all that. Its bad enough doing the factory resets.
Cudos to the OP for asking what our problems are. Its nice to be heard. Have a great day all...

StormyHeather

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S21
Twitter
GAPeachHeather
My wife and I both have the Eris since last December. We had a few problems with it at first but just kinda dealt with it. Phone not ringing on every call, and some dropped calls. Like everyone else we were told the "update" was a week away, then a month, then next month. We both felt flat out lied to when we bought them. Anyway, after the update we did the factory data reset on both phones. The problems started soon after. Dropped calls, calls come in and it rings once then just shows a missed call. Cant unlock the screen to answer a call about 10 times a week. I asked my wife why she didn't answer any of my calls one day and she said it didn't ring. So I checked out her phone. Ringer was on and she had 5 missed calls. So I called it right there from my phone. Nothin. Went from 5 to 6 missed calls right in front of me. Re-started it and then it gets calls. My sons summer camp tried to call her last week. The tried her 3 times, then tried mine three times. They ended up calling someone else who called my work phone to get ahold of me. We aren't eligible for upgrade for like 14 months and I cant see dealing with this for that long. I don't deserve an X or DI, but it would be nice to have a Moto. Just a phone that works. I have written Verizon but I haven't heard anything back yet. I have friends that are on their fifth replacement Eris and still has the same problems and my wife and I really don't want to go through all that. Its bad enough doing the factory resets.
Cudos to the OP for asking what our problems are. Its nice to be heard. Have a great day all...

Grettski:

I noticed that I was missing phone calls too on my Eris. Then I realized that I was putting the phone on its back when I set it down, either on my desk, table or armchair. That covered up the speaker for the ringer. With the speaker covered, it seriously muffled the sound of the ringer so that the ringer couldn't be heard. I now either put my Eris in a cell phone holder/stand or I place it screen side down. I don't miss any calls now because I can hear the ringer. Could this be a reason for your missed calls?

Grettski

Reaction score
It happens whether or not its in my belt holder, on the counter face down or up. Ive held my wife's Eris in my hand and the screen didn't even come on. Restart the phone and it works for a bit. Sometimes for a day, sometimes for an hour. Good idea though..thanks..

Bluehand

Reaction score

I had this problem VERY consistently, it was awful. I dropped using the big favorites app for calling. Instead I switched to just making shortcuts on the desktop. It's been a while, but since using shortcuts I no longer see this occur (either that or the last update.)

Btw, is anyone else notice how LONG it takes for a call to start dialing when using a shortcut? I think I've had it take close to a minute. I'll hit the shortcut, and then sit the phone down while I wait. Nothing happens for so long that you'd think I hadn't hit the button. Not really acceptable in my book for such a basic feature of a phone.

hooks814

Reaction score
Droid eris

My eris was working fine till the cell downloaded 2.1. OS. Then the screen would go to the left and when I would text the cursor would go to the left. Wich would be fine if I were dyslexic. The cell would lock up and have to be forced close or I would pull the battery. I reinstalled the os 4 to 5 times with no improvement. It has been very frustrating. I have had the cell for less than a year. I dont play games on it. I have taken the cell to verizon several times to deal with this. I have talked to friends who have the eris and they have the same complaint. I do not want the same model nor do I want to spend the money for a new one to find out it does the same thing. Does anyone have a fix?

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
My eris was working fine till the cell downloaded 2.1. OS. Then the screen would go to the left and when I would text the cursor would go to the left. Wich would be fine if I were dyslexic. The cell would lock up and have to be forced close or I would pull the battery. I reinstalled the os 4 to 5 times with no improvement. It has been very frustrating. I have had the cell for less than a year. I dont play games on it. I have taken the cell to verizon several times to deal with this. I have talked to friends who have the eris and they have the same complaint. I do not want the same model nor do I want to spend the money for a new one to find out it does the same thing. Does anyone have a fix?

Everyone is having the same problem?

My wife and I did factory resets back when the original 2.1 push was sent. I have since rooted my phone. She is still on 2.1 with the fix push that Verizon sent out. She has no issues with her Eris. None. I have no reason to make this up. I do not work for Verizon, nor for HTC.

I have been happy with my rooted Eris. Recently I have noticed the phone scrolls down on its own. Problem with the trackball. I am due to get a new phone in August so I am dealing with it until then since it is so intermittent.

vipurrr

Reaction score
The droid eris is by far the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned! Verizon should proud that they have their name on it! What Problems have I had? hmmm. It would be quicker to tell you what parts of the phone actually work... which are close to none.. First off, it has a lag time of 2-4 seconds on every task.. buttons stick, which is funny because it is a touchscreen, so how can they stick and put the upper symbol on instead of the letters? You tube is hit and miss.. You used to be able to watch videos by accessing it on the internet.. now the flash player doesn't work..so I used the app preloaded, and it quit working the other day.. plays sound but no picture.. The alarm works when it wants to, don't ever count on it..the facebook app is days behind at times, and force closes nearly every time. you can upload photos from the POS to facebook, but you can't view the pictures from facebook. The battery sucks. The phone takes up to 50 seconds to dial a number.. so you don't know if it is working, so you try it again, now you called the same person twice.. It also calls whoever it feels like.. you press a contact, and when it finally dials, it is a crapshoot to see who it actually is calling. I miss calls constantly with the phone by my side 24/7.. I have pocket dialed more people with this phone than I have in the ten previous years combined, with other phones. The trackball works sometimes and often by itself.. Pages scroll at hyperspeed when you are trying to scroll slow.. then, after you scroll down, the page jumps back up to the top so you can start all over again. it consantly shows I have messages when I don't. My Girlfriend has the same phone, with the same problems... her time is usually different than mine by up to eight minutes... the map app tells me sometimes that I am in europe.. You try to turn up the media volume, and all it gives you is the ringer volume.. the vibrate function doesn't shake enough to matter.. even after calibrating the keypad, the letters are off kilter and it picks the craziest text predictions ever, which renders another app useless. So THANK YOU verizon for sticking it to people by locking them in to 2 year contracts on a phone that you know is worthless.... Good job.. you have the same principles as the oil companies!

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
The droid eris is by far the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned! Verizon should proud that they have their name on it! What Problems have I had? hmmm. It would be quicker to tell you what parts of the phone actually work... which are close to none.. First off, it has a lag time of 2-4 seconds on every task.. buttons stick, which is funny because it is a touchscreen, so how can they stick and put the upper symbol on instead of the letters? You tube is hit and miss.. You used to be able to watch videos by accessing it on the internet.. now the flash player doesn't work..so I used the app preloaded, and it quit working the other day.. plays sound but no picture.. The alarm works when it wants to, don't ever count on it..the facebook app is days behind at times, and force closes nearly every time. you can upload photos from the POS to facebook, but you can't view the pictures from facebook. The battery sucks. The phone takes up to 50 seconds to dial a number.. so you don't know if it is working, so you try it again, now you called the same person twice.. It also calls whoever it feels like.. you press a contact, and when it finally dials, it is a crapshoot to see who it actually is calling. I miss calls constantly with the phone by my side 24/7.. I have pocket dialed more people with this phone than I have in the ten previous years combined, with other phones. The trackball works sometimes and often by itself.. Pages scroll at hyperspeed when you are trying to scroll slow.. then, after you scroll down, the page jumps back up to the top so you can start all over again. it consantly shows I have messages when I don't. My Girlfriend has the same phone, with the same problems... her time is usually different than mine by up to eight minutes... the map app tells me sometimes that I am in europe.. You try to turn up the media volume, and all it gives you is the ringer volume.. the vibrate function doesn't shake enough to matter.. even after calibrating the keypad, the letters are off kilter and it picks the craziest text predictions ever, which renders another app useless. So THANK YOU verizon for sticking it to people by locking them in to 2 year contracts on a phone that you know is worthless.... Good job.. you have the same principles as the oil companies!

I will refrain from my gut reaction response. However, I think you'd be happier with an iPhone. :)

mamawm

Reaction score
I agree, just get an iphone. All these issues are ones for which there are fixes, but since you choose not to fix anything, android us probably not the platform for you.

Sent from my Eris using DroidForums

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, my wife reported yesterday that her Eris is now scrolling to the right by itself. My scrolls down, her's to the right. Not sure about her usage but I have barely ever used my trackball so I am not sure why mine malfunctioned.

Needless to say this will mean that we both will be going to new phones. Her contract is up already, mine is up in August. She initially said she was good with her phone which meant I could get a new one (Thunderbolt?). But now that will change. Such is life.

Maybe a call to Verizon will get us both new phones. We'll see.