what happens when my 1 year contract is up?

oresteez

Reaction score
I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong forum.
I think I'm going to buy the Bolt with a 1 year contract. What happens when the 1 year is up? Do I stay on unlimited until I do something my contract? Or does VZW force me to pick a tiered data plan when my 1 year expires?

jseah

Reaction score
If you're going to do it, you have to do it by next Saturday. Beginning April 17th, Verizon will no longer offer one year contracts. That said, history says that when your contract ends, you are on month-to-month and whatever features you have you get to keep (grandfathered) until you make a change.

OP
O

oresteez

Reaction score
Thanks...and yes I did read about VZW taking away 1 year contracts...bums.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
More specifically you go on a month to month without any ETF should you decide to cancel the phone line.

wolf moderate

Reaction score
Hi,

Not trying to hijack the thread, just think this is relevant to the topic.

So I bought a TB today and paid an extra $70 for a 1 year contract so I can upgrade in 10 months. I go onto MyVerizon and indeed it says I'm eligible for upgrade 02/2012. So I can buy a phone at the reduced rate next February and will still be grandfathered into the 29.99 unlimited data? Sorry, new to the smartphone scene :icon_eek:

Thanks.

Beka27

Reaction score
So I can buy a phone at the reduced rate next February

Yes.

and will still be grandfathered into the 29.99 unlimited data?

No.

You will sign a new two-year contract when you get another subsidized phone and will be subject to whatever tiered pricing (if any) is available at that time. If you want to continue to have the unlimited data, you may want to look into alternate routes of acquiring phones (Ebay, Craigslist) that don't require signing a new contract.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Not trying to hijack the thread, just think this is relevant to the topic.

So I bought a TB today and paid an extra $70 for a 1 year contract so I can upgrade in 10 months. I go onto MyVerizon and indeed it says I'm eligible for upgrade 02/2012. So I can buy a phone at the reduced rate next February and will still be grandfathered into the 29.99 unlimited data? Sorry, new to the smartphone scene :icon_eek:

Thanks.

You'll be able to purchase the new phone with a 2 year contract. My feelings are that Verizon will grandfather you in with the unlimited data.

If you're using it for hot spot however, they will probably put an end to that after your trial is up so you may have to pay more for that data.

dafischman

Reaction score
So I can buy a phone at the reduced rate next February

Yes.

and will still be grandfathered into the 29.99 unlimited data?

No.

You will sign a new two-year contract when you get another subsidized phone and will be subject to whatever tiered pricing (if any) is available at that time. If you want to continue to have the unlimited data, you may want to look into alternate routes of acquiring phones (Ebay, Craigslist) that don't require signing a new contract.

The answer to part 2 is definitive. The truth is, we don't know. They may grandfather us in as long as you don't make any changes or the may force us to update to a tiered plan. I've been on my same AllTel plan even though I've upgraded phones several times through Verizon

Josh

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Travis798

Reaction score
The answer to part 2 is definitive. The truth is, we don't know. They may grandfather us in as long as you don't make any changes or the may force us to update to a tiered plan. I've been on my same AllTel plan even though I've upgraded phones several times through Verizon

Josh

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Same here for the Alltel plan. I actually mixed and matched. I changed my phone over to a Verizon plan, by my own choice, but my data card is still on my old unlimited Alltel plan.

If you get in on the unlimited 4g, I believe Verizon will leave you unlimited until you change your plan, not your phone.

Beka27

Reaction score
This is interesting. So by that argument, we should all get grandfathered in with unlimited 3g as long as we choose not to upgrade to 4g?

Let's say tiers start July 1... I upgrade to a new 3g phone on July 2... I get to keep my unlimited despite the fact it is no longer offered?

(from Beka's DX)

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
This is interesting. So by that argument, we should all get grandfathered in with unlimited 3g as long as we choose not to upgrade to 4g?

Let's say tiers start July 1... I upgrade to a new 3g phone on July 2... I get to keep my unlimited despite the fact it is no longer offered?

(from Beka's DX)

I believe all data will be tiered, not just 4G, so no that probably wouldn't work. They stated that the only reason 3g has remained unlimited is to get new Iphone customers. After that it will all be tiered just like At&t. Maybe not the same packages but tiered nonetheless.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Travis798

Reaction score
Coming from Alltel (Whom I miss so, so badly), I haven't been a Verizon customer long enough to be certain, but I believe Verizon will leave your unlimited 3g alone until you make a plan change.

There are people out there with unlimited data for their data cards or mifi, even though it hasn't been offered in some time. I just upgraded from my old kpc680 to a mifi and kept my unlimited plan that I had through Alltel, even though my phone is now on a Verizon plan. I was out of contract on my data card with Alltel, and remained so until getting the Verizon mifi. Now I am locked in a 2 year contract with unlimited 3g data to my computer, so I'm fairly certain it will be the same with our phones.

slinky

Reaction score
There is no such thing as "grandfatering" unless it is specifically within the contract. A month to month agreement is not only at your option. If it's truly month to month than, unless otherwise stated in the agreement, Verizon Wireless can terminate that agreement and tell you that the only month to month agreements it offers are the current offers. It's an unsettling situation considering that there is virtually no ability to move to another carrier with your phone to obtain different service.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Coming from Alltel (Whom I miss so, so badly), I haven't been a Verizon customer long enough to be certain, but I believe Verizon will leave your unlimited 3g alone until you make a plan change.

There are people out there with unlimited data for their data cards or mifi, even though it hasn't been offered in some time. I just upgraded from my old kpc680 to a mifi and kept my unlimited plan that I had through Alltel, even though my phone is now on a Verizon plan. I was out of contract on my data card with Alltel, and remained so until getting the Verizon mifi. Now I am locked in a 2 year contract with unlimited 3g data to my computer, so I'm fairly certain it will be the same with our phones.

This may be the case but when Verizon wants to make you change they just tell you that the phone you won't is not compatible with your plan. That's when you're stuck.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk