what happens when my 1 year contract is up?

jseah

Reaction score
There is no such thing as "grandfatering" unless it is specifically within the contract. A month to month agreement is not only at your option. If it's truly month to month than, unless otherwise stated in the agreement, Verizon Wireless can terminate that agreement and tell you that the only month to month agreements it offers are the current offers. It's an unsettling situation considering that there is virtually no ability to move to another carrier with your phone to obtain different service.

While that is true, Verizon has historically grandfathered people's plans and features. For example, while for certain phones (i.e. Voyager) Verizon did require people to switch to the newer Nationwide plans and lose their older America's Choice plans, for others (i.e. smartphones) you could keep AC and just add the smartphone data plan.

Also, Verizon offered the Talk, Text and Data promotion where you got $20 off of each line with unlimited data, but did away with the promotion a couple of months ago. Although the promotion is no longer available, it did not drop off for the people who got it. And for people (like myself) that did a plan change (changed from one unlimited data plan to a different unlimited data plan) which triggered the promotion to automatically drop, it was a simple matter of calling in to have the promotion (even though no longer available) added back.

So making a blanket statement that says because there is no specific wording in the contract that says Verizon will grandfather does not necessarily mean that they won't.

slinky

Reaction score
There is no such thing as "grandfatering" unless it is specifically within the contract. A month to month agreement is not only at your option. If it's truly month to month than, unless otherwise stated in the agreement, Verizon Wireless can terminate that agreement and tell you that the only month to month agreements it offers are the current offers. It's an unsettling situation considering that there is virtually no ability to move to another carrier with your phone to obtain different service.
While that is true, Verizon has historically grandfathered people's plans and features. For example, while for certain phones (i.e. Voyager) Verizon did require people to switch to the newer Nationwide plans and lose their older America's Choice plans, for others (i.e. smartphones) you could keep AC and just add the smartphone data plan.
We are seeing announcements about serious imminent changes in data plans with tiered pricing and 2 year contracts only. To even suggest that we should rely on how a company acted during another time and with another economic situation would be foolish. What can or can't be done will be determined by what VZW decides to do, not pointing fingers to what happened in the past.

So making a blanket statement that says because there is no specific wording in the contract that says Verizon will grandfather does not necessarily mean that they won't.
For all I know, Verizon Wireless might give you a free Motorola Bionic after your 1 year Thunderbolt contract is up. The point is that unless you have an enforceable contract right, you're at the mercy of Verizon Wireless. And basically, you're agreeing with me.

vzdroid13

Reaction score
If your contract is up and you sign a new one, you only be able to get the plans that are are available at the time, regardless of what your previous plan was. If unlimited plans are gone in a year, you won't be able to get one.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

slinky

Reaction score
If your contract is up and you sign a new one, you only be able to get the plans that are are available at the time, regardless of what your previous plan was. If unlimited plans are gone in a year, you won't be able to get one.
It's a good question. This is what makes me wonder what will happen in 11 months. I am sure that all of these companies will provide options for users to continue to use their phones. Whether or not they will be "fair" or appropriate is a whole other ball game. What I'm saying is that all of these people who are telling you to tell Verizon Wireless that you were "grandfathered in" have no clue what they are talking about without anything they can use to point out that right as a matter of law. Will Congress back that position? I have no idea. Just don't rely on the word of people here without more.

loki993

Reaction score
The answer to part 2 is definitive. The truth is, we don't know. They may grandfather us in as long as you don't make any changes or the may force us to update to a tiered plan. I've been on my same AllTel plan even though I've upgraded phones several times through Verizon

Josh

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Same here for the Alltel plan. I actually mixed and matched. I changed my phone over to a Verizon plan, by my own choice, but my data card is still on my old unlimited Alltel plan.

If you get in on the unlimited 4g, I believe Verizon will leave you unlimited until you change your plan, not your phone.

Interesting, becasue I remember a while ago when changing phones that Verizon would basically tell you that basically the phone you were getting wasnt eligible for your current plan and would force you to change the plan. I know they did that at some point because it happened to me. It was a while ago though.

It would be awesome to lock in unlimited 4g, unless of course the tired data pricing is even better, which is always possible. I mean we really dont even know what its going to be yet. It could be all this hulabalu is for nothing. However though previous experience with Verizon shows other wise. V$ had never had the best pricing by any stretch.

Still it make me wonder about all these "cost cutting" measures they have been taking lately that they have something up their sleeve comming down the pike soon possibly/hopefully related to pricing.