Went crazy my first day!! Razr Maxx HD but phone was heating up?!

DuggyLou

Reaction score
I just purchased my new Razr Maxx HD.. I have it on unlimited data for 4G.. I initially put it on the charger for 2 or 3 hours... Powered it on, activated it.. The battery reading 100%... I have audible with quite a few audio books so I decided to put 4g through it's paces.. On the first day I downloaded 8 Gigs data.. Mainly audible books... I noticed the phone was feeling a bit hot... My concern is will that cause a problem with the battery? I'm able to run the battery almost all day but seems like not quite like other's I've seen.. My numbers are.. Screen 75%, Phone idle 7%, Android OS 4%....... Screen time 4 hours 58 minutes... Remaining charge 15%... 13 hours 58 minutes on battery... These numbers seem a bit low to me compared to others I've seen .. What do you think?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
These numbers do sound low for the MAXX HD. You said you put it on the charger for "2 or 3 hours", but then after activating it said the battery was "100%". What you may not realize is that 100% is for battery levels anywhere between 91% and 100%. Once the battery level falls to 90% it will show 90%.

The RAZR MAXX HD's battery is 3,300mAh, a VERY LARGE battery. As such, it takes a LONG time to charge. 2 or 3 hours is not sufficient to assure a fully saturated 100% charge, where the charger will interrupt the charge when the battery has reached maximum capacity. Even thought the phone says the battery has 100%, it could be substantially less because it was not fully charged out of the package based on the information you provide. That initial full charge sets the "Full" flag for the battery and the phone's meter will indicate that level as 100%.

The battery size is identical to the Droid RAZR MAXX, the phone I have. From the factory, the batteries are partially charged to about 40% to 50% both to preserve the battery while sitting in warehouses and to prevent it from deep-discharging. The instructions that come with the RAZR MAXX recommend you charge them initially for 5.5 hours, NOT 2 or 3. I would suspect that the same recommended charge time is indicated by Motorola for the Droid RAZR MAXX HD as well.

The image below shows the recommended initial charge times for both the RAZR (1,780mAh battery) and the RAZR MAXX (3,300 mAh battery - like the MAXX HD). You will see 3 hours for the RAZR and 5.5 for the MAXX (and MAXX HD).

Screen shot 2012-11-13 at 12.23.18 AM.png

Click on image to see full-size. Note the charge times on the clocks at the bottom right.

Your instructions ALSO say 5.5 hours (https://motorola-global-portal.cust...RAZRHD_RAZRMAXXHD_GSG_Vzw_EN_68016985001B.pdf). See the image below for picture proof.

Screen%20shot%202012-11-13%20at%2012.31.29%20AM[1].png

Again, click on the image to see in full size.

My recommendation is that you discharge until you reach 15% (Low battery warning), such as now, then power off the phone, place it on charge for the minimum 5.5 hours (with power off), then power on, use as before and when you reach 15%, power off again, and finally charge a minimum of 5.5 hours again. After this initial "proper" charging and training, you should see vastly improved battery performance.

Good luck! :biggrin:

OP
D

DuggyLou

Reaction score
I'll try that

Oh wow! I missed that graphic. The text is so small on it I couldn't read it lol. I'll do what you recommended by powering it off and charging.. I have charged it in "sleep" mode but not with power off. I'm assuming by doing what I did on my first charge that the battery was not harmed in anyway.. Just it's calibration is off and can be corrected by a series of proper discharging and charging.. Thanks for the info! I'll try your recommendation and keep you posted. One quick related question.. Is it the battery's or the phone's circuitry that cuts off the charging to prevent overcharging.. I would assume the phone would include that protection...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
You're correct, it's the phone's charging and metering system that controls all charging and metering, as well as protection from overcharging or deep discharging of the battery. The battery is simply a reservoir, a finicky one, but a reservoir none the less.