RAZR MAXX First Use - Experts help please!

DamianD

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I read the forum for a while, so I can tell you I'm aware with the discussions in RAZR topics.
Now, what I really need to know and understand is the initializing procedure of the first use of an RAZR/RAZR MAXX. From what I saw on the manual plus the precious posts of FoxKat here I understand that is recommended to fully charge the battery right away the phone is out of the box (without power it on at all!). I don't got this idea and I can't figure how it really helps to a better battery performance/life. That's why I ask all of you who are experts in this stuff to explain how it to me for make it clear.
On the other hand, I spoke several times with the technical department of Motorola USA and United Kingdom and none of them even think it's necessary to be so strictly with the charging process, considering it will not affect in any way battery life. BUT what they ALL recommended to me is to do the first charge for at least 12 hours. Yeas, I KNOW the Li-Ion Batteries have no memory effect and all that stuff, I read all that section on Battery University. But it was Vince from Battery University who told once if I have a big battery smartphone (MAXX is twice than a normal phone) to "initially charge that new battery for 12 hours, then use it normal.

So ... there are too many opinions that often do not coincide, some I understand, others I don't. What I actually want is that the new RAZR MAXX that I just bought to be used optimally for a maximum battery performance. I have a standard Razr for months whose battery is a total fiasco and I'm fed up.
Thanks all in advance.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Assuming you still have the opportunity, Charge that device up! Why not? I have never read anything that said "Do not Fully Charge the first time" with that said, battery performance could potentially become the OCD of our time. Enjoy your phone but, charge her up! First.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hi and welcome to the forum... Congrats on the maxx. These aren't li-ion batteries. They're Li-po. And the process of charging to 100% while powered off, and using to 15%, then powering off and charging to 100% isn't for the battery.

Its to calibrate the battery meter. The reason being that if you kill this battery, and don't get it charging right away, you cab put the battery at a voltage that's too low to charge. Then the device is a paper weight.

There have been instances of people have 50% showing on their battery meter, and the device shutting off because the battery was actually dead.

This process helps to alleviate that. :) hope this helps.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
You should make an introductory thread too. But I'm moving this to the battery forum :)

OP
DamianD

DamianD

Reaction score
...Ok.. the 100%-15%-100% procedure is all clear.

Now the "Charge it right after opening the box" and the "12 hours initial charge", that every single Motorola employee told me it's mandatory ?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
12 hours initial charging is wrong. The device won't even charge that long. 3-4 hours and the device will stop charging.because it will be at 100%.

I have 4 maxx's on my account, 2 that I personally use.. none of them was ever charged 12 hours.

Charging right after opening is just good practice the device is stored with 40-50% charge.. it's always a good idlers to charge a device to 100% before use. Never usually happens. But always a good idea.

OP
DamianD

DamianD

Reaction score
94lt1;2144000 These aren't li-ion batteries. They're Li-po. [/QUOTE said:
But in every specs section starting from motorola.com to last page of the internet Razr/Razr maxx is listed "BATTERY TYPE 3300 mAh Li Ion"

Reaction score
the reason you charge it right out of the box is so you will have the juice to set the phone up. Like has been said if you discharge this phone to far you will have to return it to verizon. The battery's are suppose to be charged to 40-60% out of the box. It mite not have enough juice to set everything up. The battery meter will not be calibrated. So wile your setting it up and it seze 20% it mite be less.
So you have to charge the phone off to 100% so you have the juice to set up the phone. you have to charge it off because it mite use more juice then the charger is giving it or atleast take alot longer to charge.
You have to let it discharge to 15% the turn it off and charge to 100% and repeate to calibrate the battery meter. Then do this again every month to keep your meter accuratete.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Wow! I'm speechless. Someone got a tissue? My eyes are watering. I guess there's nothing left for me to do, you all handled this so well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
DamianD

DamianD

Reaction score

A one year mistake since the Razr is out, mistake made again with MAXX?:confused:
And why all the people from de Tech Dept of Motorola recommend to first charge for minimum 12h?? I spoke at least with 15 different members in 3 months, both from the USA and Europe. Just one of them thinks it's not necessary to give so much attention to the number of charging hours.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
A one year mistake since the Razr is out, mistake made again with MAXX?:confused:
And why all the people from de Tech Dept of Motorola recommend to first charge for minimum 12h?? I spoke at least with 15 different members in 3 months, both from the USA and Europe. Just one of them thinks it's not necessary to give so much attention to the number of charging hours.

That's Motorola. The 12 hours they're refering to is to "make dam* good sure it's right." The main reason for charging a battery to 100% is not just to make sure it's good and charged, but to make sure that your battery icon displays the accurate amount of time/charge you have left to use the phone. If you don't, as stated by a couple of previous posters, your battery indicator will display false readings and potentially leave you "high and dry." Someone said that you could have the indicator read as having 50% battery, but without calibration (charging it to 100% before your first initial use) it could actually be around 20% or less. And if used for extended periods without the battery and indicator being IN SYNC, you could destroy the battery, and potentially the phone itself. That will happen because the phone is pulling juice from the battery that the battery literally does not have. That's like trying to operate a gasoline engine on fumes. It doesn't work. Whether they're Li-ion or Li-Po, is doesn't matter. The meter and battery level need to be in sync.

Most of the information I have used is referencing FoxKat. His knowledge is astounding and comes in handy. :)

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
That's Motorola. The 12 hours they're refering to is to "make dam* good sure it's right." The main reason for charging a battery to 100% is not just to make sure it's good and charged, but to make sure that your battery icon displays the accurate amount of time/charge you have left to use the phone. If you don't, as stated by a couple of previous posters, your battery indicator will display false readings and potentially leave you "high and dry." Someone said that you could have the indicator read as having 50% battery, but without calibration (charging it to 100% before your first initial use) it could actually be around 20% or less. And if used for extended periods without the battery and indicator being IN SYNC, you could destroy the battery, and potentially the phone itself. That will happen because the phone is pulling juice from the battery that the battery literally does not have. That's like trying to operate a gasoline engine on fumes. It doesn't work. Whether they're Li-ion or Li-Po, is doesn't matter. The meter and battery level need to be in sync.

Most of the information I have used is referencing FoxKat. His knowledge is astounding and comes in handy. :)

You guys and girls make me so proud! :p

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
DamianD

DamianD

Reaction score
Then it seems to be simple; what I have to do look like this:
-take the phone out of the box, power off of course, put it to charge for 12 hours (to be a load of 100% safe). After 12 hours turn it on and using the phone until it reaches 15%. Then power it off again, charging 4-5 hours for a 100% and then using it to 15%...and...it's ready! It will be the accurate by the book battery operation ever :laugh:
If I missed something please notify me right away!

Now I just have to wait for the courier to making the delivery...

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Then it seems to be simple; what I have to do look like this:
-take the phone out of the box, power off of course, put it to charge for 12 hours (to be a load of 100% safe). After 12 hours turn it on and using the phone until it reaches 15%. Then power it off again, charging 4-5 hours for a 100% and then using it to 15%...and...it's ready! It will be the accurate by the book battery operation ever :laugh:
If I missed something please notify me right away!

Now I just have to wait for the courier to making the delivery...

That is 100% percent correct. Looks like you're 100% charged now. :)

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid

Last edited: