Razr Maxx Talk Time Battery Drain

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
My car gets 27 MPG and 580 HP....so no, I'm not jealous :) this is highway though... in a quarter mile, its not nearly that good :).... and I blew out my rearend gears :(

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

Okay, okay, you got me...I'm jealous of you and your HP...my measly 108 don't compare lmfao

clintro

Reaction score
I have noticed that my battery has gotten better over the last few weeks. I have had the phone for about 1-2 months now.

More than likely the battery meter has just become more calibrated as opposed to actually getting better battery life. I would not be to worried about 8 hours of talk time, but I don't talk on my phone that much....errr :icon_eek:.

LOL, does the phone last you all day, that would be my big question. remember your usage should drop off a bit as you get used to the phone.

OP
M

mike1304

Reaction score
It does last all day but I barely use it at all while I'm at work. At work I have Wifi, GPS, 4G and bluetooth off, maybe use the internet (3G) for 10 minutes and send a few texts...and by the time I leave I'll be at 70%. I was just using the voice calls as a specific example that I thought would be good to compare to the talk time. Yes, it will last me through the day on a normal day's use no problem, but if I ever use it heavily it probably would not.

When I look on the forum and see all the stories of how people stream videos for hours, talk on the phone for hours, etc. and still have 70% when they go to bed it just makes me feel like I have a bad battery.

Caesars

Reaction score
My android system has been going crazy last few days my maxx was reduced down to x2 levels, I smell a hard reset coming hehe

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I'm bragging damn it. Deal with it :-D I got 38mpg on my last tank and it's a 2000 Civic with modifications that SHOULD decrease mileage :-D My car effing ROCKS. You know you're jealous ;)

My car gets 27 MPG and 580 HP....so no, I'm not jealous :) this is highway though... in a quarter mile, its not nearly that good :).... and I blew out my rearend gears :(

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

Are you two trying to be helpful? :confused: You're punching holes in my reasoning! :banghead:

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It does last all day but I barely use it at all while I'm at work. At work I have Wifi, GPS, 4G and bluetooth off, maybe use the internet (3G) for 10 minutes and send a few texts...and by the time I leave I'll be at 70%. I was just using the voice calls as a specific example that I thought would be good to compare to the talk time. Yes, it will last me through the day on a normal day's use no problem, but if I ever use it heavily it probably would not.

When I look on the forum and see all the stories of how people stream videos for hours, talk on the phone for hours, etc. and still have 70% when they go to bed it just makes me feel like I have a bad battery.

So let me see if I got this...wifi all day at work, 10 minutes of 3G, and by the time you leave it's down to only 70%? My question would be how long is your shift, because if it's 8 hours like most people, 30% in 8 hours is pretty good for a smart phone. That translates to no less than 24 hours on one charge. Maybe you should not say it so loud, lest you have everybody who doesn't own a MAXX very upset. :eek:

All kidding aside, your phone may have started with as little as 91%, and got to 70% in 8 hours which in best case scenario is 84% in 36 hours. Please don't get me wrong, if we can identify a pattern that points to a problem, we'll do everything we can to find a way to a solution for you.

Let me go back over your posts again and see if I missed something. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
I mentioned this elsewhere but will repeat for the sake of comparison. I charged to 100% last night (Off) turned on at 0900hrs.
Have done NOTHING all day but let it sit. Saw that a couple downloads came through. Nothing on, No WiFi, GPS, screen is on auto but that doesn't matter I didn't use it today.
It is 6:11 p.m. and I am at 50%.

OP
M

mike1304

Reaction score
@FoxKat - sorry, Wifi was off for that little experiment as well. And yes I understand that being at 70% regardless of use after work would be great for other smart phones, but I've been told to expect more out of the maxx.

Yesterday, for instance, I used the phone more heavily and it was down to 14% when I got home around midnight. But I am not a heavy user in general. Yesterday I downloaded about 4 apps, didn't turn 4G on til I left work (around 5), WiFi was never on. I had about 3 hours of screen time (on 0% brightness 70% of the time, automatic for the rest). I streamed a video for 15 minutes on 3G, listened to music for about a half hour, from my phone, not from streaming. And then just some general browsing, probably 50/50 3g/4g and texting. I also only had a total of about 5 minutes of calls.

I know it's decent, but I've been led to believe I should expect more by the posts I've seen on here and other sites. I've seen a number of people claiming to have 4g/wifi/gps/etc on all day, stream a few hours of videos, make an hour of calls, send a lot of texts and then have 70% left by the time they go to bed. Is there something I'm missing? Again, thank you very much for the input, I appreciate it.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
@FoxKat - sorry, Wifi was off for that little experiment as well. And yes I understand that being at 70% regardless of use after work would be great for other smart phones, but I've been told to expect more out of the maxx.

Yesterday, for instance, I used the phone more heavily and it was down to 14% when I got home around midnight. But I am not a heavy user in general. Yesterday I downloaded about 4 apps, didn't turn 4G on til I left work (around 5), WiFi was never on. I had about 3 hours of screen time (on 0% brightness 70% of the time, automatic for the rest). I streamed a video for 15 minutes on 3G, listened to music for about a half hour, from my phone, not from streaming. And then just some general browsing, probably 50/50 3g/4g and texting. I also only had a total of about 5 minutes of calls.

I know it's decent, but I've been led to believe I should expect more by the posts I've seen on here and other sites. I've seen a number of people claiming to have 4g/wifi/gps/etc on all day, stream a few hours of videos, make an hour of calls, send a lot of texts and then have 70% left by the time they go to bed. Is there something I'm missing? Again, thank you very much for the input, I appreciate it.

OK Mike, I misread what you typed. I see now that the commas are "inclusive" rather than "exclusive", sorry. So that's helpful information. So if WIFI was off, then we can't account any of the power usage to that radio, and GPS, 3G/4G radios were all off as well. So I take it you mean you turned the phone to Airplane mode, or did you physically turn off each radio itself?

I will take a moment here to say this for the benefit of everyone interested...these phones and the batteries are made en masse, meaning they are manufactured in a process that is both huge in volume and yet precise in duplication. In other words, imagine walking up to the assembly line and pick up a completed phone, then waiting 10 minutes and grab another one from later in production. If you were to compare the two it would be virtually impossible for you to tell them apart - not just physically but also in operation. You could charge them both to 100%, power them up, install a group of identical applications, run them, time the battery life and you'd find both phones would run virtually identically and would run out of power within a very thin margin of each other (perhaps as little as only a minute or two apart). Minor differences in battery consumption will occur due to the fact that every individual component that is in one phone will have a slightly different internal resistance than the same component in another phone, so every individual component will use slightly different amounts of power, but on the grand scale they will operate nearly identically, not hours different.

Why tell you what you already know? To put a perspective on things. If you were to take one of those phones, and I were to take another, we would use them differently, charge them differently, install different apps, use different widgets, wallpaper, social networking, email, etc. This would result in different battery performance for you and for me. Believe it or not, if you took two identical phones with the only difference being a different wallpaper picture and timed them to dead battery, there would be a more significant difference. Every individual pixel of the SAMOLED Display uses power and depending on how bright each pixel is determines how much power it consumes...brighter means more power. Bright Red, bright Green, or bright Blue will all consume about the same, but bright white will consume 3 times as much because white is a combination of all three primary colors, RGB (Red, Green, Blue). So I have a very dark blue background, with a slight gradient so the middle is a bit brighter, but still very mild, to give the icons a good contrasting background and yet still be some color. Black would consume the least but I am not a "black" kind of person (I've never owned a black car), I prefer some color.

So my impression is that there must be something that your phone has installed or set up (or some combination), which others whose batteries seem to be performing so much better don't have. If the phone has recently been Factory restored, then if it performs the same without any changes from stock, then I would begin suspecting either the phone or the battery - in that order.

Last edited:
OP
M

mike1304

Reaction score
Ok, I did do a factory reset last week and only had a few widely used 4.5 star apps installed. I think I'm just going to get it replaced, if nothing else for peace of mind to make sure. Going off of your posts in other threads, is this how I should proceed with the new phone:

1. Do not turn it on upon receiving the new one. Charge to 100% with power off before doing anything. (Note: step 1 was not done on my current phone. The Verizon salesperson turned it on while I was there.)
2. Use regularly until battery is down to 15% then charge with the power off to 100%.
3. Repeat this cycle every couple of months.

Thanks for the help! I'll post back in case anyone viewing is interested.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
You should be good to go with that process, but not having done it in the beginning doesn't mean it damaged the battery in any way, and any effect you suffered from not doing it initially is completely reversible by doing it at virtually any point in the future.

The risks you do suffer while ths meter is out of calibration are;

1) Having more remaining charge than the meter shows.
2) Having less power remaining than the meter shows.
3) Seeing large drops in reported remaining power over relatively short periods of time and with relatively minimal use.
4) Seeing rapid drop from full 100% charge to 90% our even 80%.
5) Having the phone shut down in a very short time after recently showing 20, 30, even 40 or 50% charge level.
6) Having the phone become unresponsive to the charger, with either no light, a brief flash of White light, or a steady White light (AKA White Light of Death).
7) Bootloping or power-cycling.
8) Booting into Recovery menu.
9) Failure to boot into Recovery.
10) Failure to flash Fastboot.
11) Cycling into and out of Power Saver mode.
12) Throttling of CPU speed to conserve power.

And I'm sure some other yet un-indentified symptoms.

All but the White Light of Death and boot related issues are 100% reversible, and the others are hit and miss. Some have been forced to resort to extreme measures to get their phones' batteries back to voltage level that would allow normal charging, such as fashioning a Factory data cable, opening the back and jump-starting the battery directly to the battery terminals, or a series of booting and rebooting trickery to get the phone tricked into charging.

Last edited: