Waiting for gps signal???

rnelson

Reaction score
Same problem here. The phone navigates, but doesn't show satellites in any of the several programs I have used to try to diagnose this. I tried rebooting, removing the battery, removing all navigation software and a complete wipe of the phone but so far nothing has helped.

camack7827

Reaction score
Both my wife and I have D3s and we are both having GPS difficulties, though separate issues. My wife's phone constantly displays "searching for GPS Signal" while in Google Maps/Navigation. Mine will connect and provide directions quickly, but constantly re-routes when it doesn't need to. it'll place me on a side street or heading in the opposite direction as I'm actually travelling.

I'll call Verizon for both issues, sure hope its a s/w bug that gets worked out with an update QUICK!

josby

Reaction score
FYI, I've been having this "Searching for GPS..." problem every few days too, and had been rebooting to fix it. I found an easier fix today on another forum so I thought I'd share:

1) Disable "Standalone GPS services"
2) Disable "VZW location services"
3) Enable "VZW location services"
4) Enable "Standalone GPS services"

I'd tried those individually with no success, but when I did them in that order, my GPS notification icon lit up immediately and I had a lock within a second or two. A fix would be nice, but this at least beats having to wait for a reboot.

Last edited:

blackbelt27

Reaction score
The ONLY way I can get gps to work is by not updating maps, and if you accidently do roll back and uncheck auto update

Douglasson

Reaction score
GPS works for a while, then requires reboot

A hard reboot will fix the GPS issues for a while for me :). Then after a day or so it will become unresponsive when a GPS-enabled app wants it :icon_evil:. After the reboot, I see the little "target" icon at the top, meaning the GPS is being utilized. But I can tell that it's time to reboot when the icon stops appearing when I want to use a GPS program :icon_eek:.

The GPS apps that I use most often are:

• Car Dock (when I insert the phone into the windshield mount, it uses the GPS to calculate speed and direction).
  • GPS Status
  • My Tracks
  • GPS HUD
  • Navigation
  • Locus Free
It's the same symptom with all: non able to grab the GPS when they want it. It really seems like an OS issue rather than a hardware issue. I'll post more as I play with it. Let me know what you think!

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I'm not getting any GPS either. Might have to trade this one in for a new one and see if that helps. It used to work, but now it doesn't at all.

kenoshabrew

Reaction score
My friend is having the same issue with his D3. Which burns me up as I am the one that reccomended that phone to him...

I can not get a gps signal on google maps, jog tracker, and several gps signal apps i downloaded to figure out the problem. I am sure i have all of the gps settings on, i have tried a reboot/battery pull, have tried clearing agps, cleared google maps and others cache/data. And still nothing.
Any advice? Any other droid 3ers having this issue?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

kenoshabrew

Reaction score
This is just ridiculous there seems to be an OBVIOUS bug in this phone with a main feature. I use my D2 for navigation exclusively and this puts me off from buying a D3 completely. I seriously hope they fix this soon or exchange your phones for a “comparable” model with no penalty as D3’s are OBVIOUSLY not working as advertised. Talk about crap quality control.. way to go Motorola. I WANT to like you, I really do. But you make it really hard.

I'm not getting any GPS either. Might have to trade this one in for a new one and see if that helps. It used to work, but now it doesn't at all.

soupsmom

Reaction score
I was having this problem also, but after turning on/off all the GPS settings (Google, Stand Alone, Verizon), it started working. Hmph.

technogeek00

Reaction score
I just had it not find a signal for navigation for the first time. However, I found if I left navigation still looking for signal and then went into gps status, gps status updated the gpsa data and instantly found a signal which inturn made navigation find one. Possible workaround?

CKB

Reaction score
Same problem here, on rare days I can pick up a GPS signal but on most days I can't. I am trying to use 2 different golf GPS apps, Skydroid and Freecaddie and have same problem with both "searching for signal" or "no signal/weak signal". I have tried various combinations of rebooting, turning GPS on/off, etc. and have not found the right combination yet. Today it worked, why I have no idea as I have not been able to get a signal for 4 days and I have not rebooted or turned signals off/on today so this must just be the one day a wk. that it works. This is a pretty serious issue as most people rely on their cells as GPS devices any more. Hope Motorola reads this and reacts appropriately by doing an update, chip replacement, phone replacement or something. Just not very happy with my D3. Sound quality is also inferior and camera takes blue pictures. Had high hopes for improvements in this Droid but seems to have taken a step backward.

Oceanbagel

Reaction score
Try turning on Wi-Fi

I've been experiencing a similar problem where my gps is inaccurate and the pointer is at a cell tower with > .5 mile radius. First trip to Verizon they removed an antivirus app which seemed to fix it. A few days later it happened again, so I tried a hard reset which seemed to have fixed it. I just realized that it's affected by whether or not I have wi-fi on even if I'm not connected to a network. On my original Moto Droid this was not required to get accurate GPS data.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Anyone found a fix for this or heard anything from Motorola?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Lardman

Reaction score
i'm having the same issue as well. I woke up this morning to check the weather and it said that it couldn't pick up my current location. I waited for a bit, then went to get directions to a new hair salon and google maps couldn't give me directions. This is a problem =/ its a big feature on the phone and if its not working as it is supposed to then i'm rather upset.

CKB

Reaction score
Wifi??

i'm having the same issue as well. I woke up this morning to check the weather and it said that it couldn't pick up my current location. I waited for a bit, then went to get directions to a new hair salon and google maps couldn't give me directions. This is a problem =/ its a big feature on the phone and if its not working as it is supposed to then i'm rather upset.

An earlier post suggested turning on WIFI. Last weekend I could not get a signal to run the GPS so turned off GPS, turned on WIFI, turned on GPS and with in seconds had a signal, then turned off WIFI since I didn't need it. Don't know if this is the key or why it worked but it did. Have only tried it once so don't know that it's the cure. There is definintely an issue with the GPS signal on the D3 that Motorola needs to fix with the first update.