Problem finding GPS.....again...

tom head

Reaction score
Not really ready to spend more money on another phone. :) I will let them replace this phone with another one and hope the replacement works better. It's such a shame that I picked the phone that didn't work, and my wife got the good one. But I guess she really needs the Navigate function more then I do............. I'll keep trying and watching for a solution.

Thanks again Tom

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
SOAK test invites have started going out....so the "official" update should be in the next week or so.
It could be nothing more than the update that already leaked out or a minor/major step up....

jl3366

Reaction score
I was getting the readout of turn by turn instructions, but no actual voice navigation..kept saying "searching for gps..." I uninstalled the updates on google maps, took out my battery and worked fine afterwards.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Doesn't sound like a big deal. It occurs periodically and can apparently be fixed by toggling all of the location settings. Seems obvious that it's a bug that will be worked out.

jl3366, why did you uninstall the maps updates and take the battery out? Did you try toggling the location settings or even just rebooting first? Did those things not work?

jl3366

Reaction score
Tried both numerous times..I had read somewhere that taking the batt out and uninstalling updates helped, and it did.

OP
E

Erikbal

Reaction score
Has been working fine for me since I posted the other day with NO reboots. Maybe after you don't use it for a while you end up having to reboot? I don't know honestly.

spissatus

Reaction score
I have found an easier workaroud. If I just toggle my GPS off/on then it works fine immediately afterward. Takes about 5 seconds to do this. Just add the GPS widget to your desktop and toggle it when you encounter the problem.

droiderjude

Reaction score
searching for GPS

My Droid X has worked great until last weekend..then it just stopped working searching for gps and never finds it...what's up with this? does anyone know, I rebooted and it didn't help! I really need and depend on this, please does anyone know anything?

Carol_in_FL

Reaction score
I am having a similar problem. I am vacationing in Las Vegas, have been here about a week and my GPS hasn't worked since I got here.
Would like to use the Nav but it can't find the GPS signal.

I've only had the D3 1 month and so far the GPS worked a LOT better on my old orig. Droid.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to turn the GPS back on? (Could putting my D3 in airplane mode on the trip here have affected the GPS?
It was very difficult to turn off the airplane mode, just unchecking wouldn't work. I finally was able to turn it off by trying to make a call.)

rvcjew

Reaction score
I am having a similar problem. I am vacationing in Las Vegas, have been here about a week and my GPS hasn't worked since I got here.

I've only had the D3 1 month and so far the GPS worked a LOT better on my old orig. Droid.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to turn the GPS back on? (Could putting my D3 in airplane mode on the trip here have affected the GPS?
It was very difficult to turn off the airplane mode, just unchecking wouldn't work. I finally was able to turn it off by trying to make a call.)
that sounds like a software issue, might want to factory reset if you can back up your data, what version of software you have? 890?

LT*

Reaction score

Two things fix it for me. I first try going into settings>location> and uncheck, and recheck the first two options. Leave Verizon location services unchecked. If this doesn't work, then a reboot usually does.

Carol_in_FL

Reaction score
Solved GPS Problem by Removing Battery?? -- Still Need "Airplane Mode" non-shutoff??

Two things fix it for me. I first try going into settings>location> and uncheck, and recheck the first two options. Leave Verizon location services unchecked. If this doesn't work, then a reboot usually does.

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I did fix it, by taking out the battery and putting it back in (it is a lot more difficult to remove the cover on the D3 than the D1, isn't it?). I had tried going into settings and checking and unchecking all 3 options , people talk about re-booting. Does that mean just turning the phone off with the button on top? (I also, did this.)

But, I still wonder if the "airplane mode" not shutting off was still the real cause of my problem. I've flown 3x since I've gotten the D3 and had a lot of problems shutting off the "airplane mode". I will be flying again next Saturday and would like to know a good method to solve this problem also.

Last edited:

REMilk

Reaction score

I have Droid 3 with the latest update. The phone is not rooted.

I had chances to use the GPS and Navigation on my Droid 3, last week on round-trip, from Richmond, VA to Baltimore, MD, about 160 miles each way and this week while working in Austin, TX.

When it works, it works well. I do not feel the problem is heat related as my Droid 3 never got hot. While in the Dorid 3 OEM car dock, I used Motorola car charger that I purchased from VerizonWireless Online at the same time as the Car Dock, so charger compatibility should not be the issue.

1st impression. I have a Honda Element. I never had GPS or Navigation problems with My OG Droid. I place the Droid 3 car mount in the top of the dash, in the same location as the Droid 1. I lost the GPS signal twice.

The first time, I think was due to the 'northerly' direction in a heavily tree/leaf covered area. (It also impacted my satellite reception here). I moved it slightly towards the windshield and it immediately picked up the GPS signals. This shows me that the internal GPS hardware/antenna is not in the same position as the OG Droid.

The second time, all GPS was lost. The app "GPS Status" could not pick it up. I tried, going through menu/settings/locations and this did not work. Once I fully rebooted (fully powered down/powered on), it worked fine for the remainder of the trip up and back.

Driving around Austin, I encountered the problem 3 times.

The first one occurred when I tried picked up the Rental Car at the Austin, TX airport. Could not acquire the GPS signal. Naturally, I put the phone into Airplane mode and took it out of airplane mode when I arrived. Again a reboot was necessary (Full Power Down/Power On). This may indicate a problem with restarting GPS when the phone comes out of Airplane Mode.

Twice last night - going to dinner and then going to the hotel after dinner. For both of these (Again a reboot was necessary (Full Power Down/Power On). The first time I was using the Motorola car charger, the 2nd time I used a RocketFish (BestBuy brand) car charger.

Finally this afternoon (10/19/2011). I flew from Austin, TX to Richmond, VA. For grins or giggles, I turned Navigation on. I expected there to be a problem acquiring the GPS signal. Was I ever amazed when it locked quickly and remained connected for the 25 mile trip home.

From my perspective, there seems to be an app or service on my phone (it may be a 'factory' one or one I installed) that is causing the GPS to shut down. However, at this time, I have not been a good enough detective to figure it out.

Bob

OP
E

Erikbal

Reaction score
I haven't had any problems at all since the update. I even noticed on one app I have that uses GPS before the update when it was working the app would run fine but would still say at the bottom searching for satellites now it says how many there are and how many it's fixed on. The update also fixed the color problem on my camera so now I love this phone even more