GPS not searching for signal

celtic11

Reaction score
My GPS began acting up on a trip from Nortwestern Ohio down to the OBX, North Carolina in which I used it for the entire drive and a few times while in NC also. It acted fine the whole way down there except for one time when it randomly lost the GPS signal and wouldn't obtain it again without a reboot. On the way home it did this same thing about 5 times. Ever since then, when I go to use my GPS (maps, or Navigation), the GPS will not even search for a signal. I leave my GPS off, so when I want to use it I turn it on and then go into Maps or Navigation... the little GPS icon doesn't even appear in the notification bar. Once I reboot the phone, it grabs a signal in seconds. I was hoping this would go away with the update, but I attempted it today and had the same issue...

I contemplated sending the phone in for a replacement, but I'm afraid of what I'll get. Ive read many stories on here of people having issues with random reboots and what not. My phone has been 100% problem free until the GPS started acting up. It's not a huge deal, but I use my GPS a fair amount and don't really want to deal with this for 2 years. Anyone else having this problem or any suggestions on a work-around, or do you think I should return the device?

TyrantII

Reaction score
Google maps and navigation needs a constant data connection. Did it happen in areas where data might have been a problem?

OP
celtic11

celtic11

Reaction score
No data was never a problem.. and even running around town or sitting around the house, it won't even attempt. You know when its searching for a signal and the notification shows but blinks.... mine doesn't even do that. It almost acts as if the gps is turned off.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Did you apply the latest update to Maps in the market? Other than that, maybe try clearing map cache/data. It wouldn't hurt to clear the system cache partition too.

If it still acts up, I would try a factory reset before returning the phone.

OP
celtic11

celtic11

Reaction score
Did you apply the latest update to Maps in the market? Other than that, maybe try clearing map cache/data. It wouldn't hurt to clear the system cache partition too.

If it still acts up, I would try a factory reset before returning the phone.

I should have the latest update of maps but ill double check. Ill also clear the maps cache but how do I clear the system cache partition or whatever you said?

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Hold down the X key on the keyboard while the phone boots. When you see the triangle, press both volume keys at once. Here's where you need to be very careful and select the proper item. Pressing the volume keys moves the currently selected item. Select wipe cache. Then pressing the power button should activate your choice. You won't notice any changes from clearing the cache, but it has been known to solve some problems. DO NOT DO A FACTORY RESET...unless you are really sure that you want to.

Obviously on phones without a physical keyboard, the procedure is slightly different.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
I had this problem before the OTA update but not since--yet.

ndoren

Reaction score
My GPS began acting up on a trip from Nortwestern Ohio down to the OBX, North Carolina in which I used it for the entire drive and a few times while in NC also. It acted fine the whole way down there except for one time when it randomly lost the GPS signal and wouldn't obtain it again without a reboot. On the way home it did this same thing about 5 times. Ever since then, when I go to use my GPS (maps, or Navigation), the GPS will not even search for a signal.

You want a fix? Root your phone, go into /system/etc/gps.conf and
change:
NTP_SERVER=north-america.pool.ntp.org
to:
NTP_SERVER=us.pool.ntp.org

You can use something like root explorer to do this. In other words, change "north-america" to "us" in that file.
This file is unchanged by the recent OTA update. So, if you had the issue before, the OTA didn't fix it. Because it's an issue with the NTP server, it's time/date specific, and especially trouble prone in the midwest. (I had the same issue as you in Indiana).

Don't return your phone. Try this fix.
Neall

Last edited:

Natey2

Reaction score
Download the "GPS Status & Toolbox" app. Do a Menu, Tools, Manage A-GPS state, Reset, Download.

Try your navigation app then. I do this whenever the nav apps do strange things.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app.

OP
celtic11

celtic11

Reaction score
I've been on the fence on rooting for a while now and if rooting will fix this then I may just make the jump.

Downloaded gps status and toolbox and had no luck there either.

Since this phone has backup assistance, doing a factory reset shouldn't cause me to lose anything pertinent correct?

OP
celtic11

celtic11

Reaction score
I wiped cache partition and the gps worked but it always works right after reboot. Ill have to see how it acts over a couple of days.

Reaction score
i noticed the same thing last night. i had gps until i went into a tunnel (typical of tunnels) but then when i got out, it wouldn't reconnect. what i did to get gps back was close navigator and turn my gps off and back on. went back to nav, and it connected immediately. i guess that's a work around, but that's absurd, and a little dangerous...
You want a fix? Root your phone, go into /system/etc/gps.conf and
change:
NTP_SERVER=north-america.pool.ntp.org
to:
NTP_SERVER=us.pool.ntp.org

You can use something like root explorer to do this. In other words, change "north-america" to "us" in that file.
This file is unchanged by the recent OTA update. So, if you had the issue before, the OTA didn't fix it. Because it's an issue with the NTP server, it's time/date specific, and especially trouble prone in the midwest. (I had the same issue as you in Indiana).

Don't return your phone. Try this fix.
Neall
ndoren, how does this fix work?

EDIT: Dunno if it matters or not, but i live in MA

ndoren

Reaction score
i noticed the same thing last night. i had gps until i went into a tunnel (typical of tunnels) but then when i got out, it wouldn't reconnect. what i did to get gps back was close navigator and turn my gps off and back on. went back to nav, and it connected immediately. i guess that's a work around, but that's absurd, and a little dangerous...

ndoren, how does this fix work?

EDIT: Dunno if it matters or not, but i live in MA

The GPS requires a stable, internet-based timebase that's reasonably synchronized with the GPS satellites. NTP servers provide this (as they also can for the time of day on your PC). For some people in some regions, the NTP server 'north-america...' seems to be intermittent, depending on your region and time of day. If your GPS works fine, don't change a thing. However, if you're one of those whose GPS loses lock during navigation and you have to reboot to re-acquire, then this fix might work for you. Also, perhaps if you're losing accuracy. All I can say is that it worked for me, brilliantly. When I travel I use GPS navigation for countless hours at a time. If you're rooted, this is an easy fix to try.

I figured this out from countless hours of decoding forum posts (mostly on XDA) using google searches such as 'ntp gps problem droid 3'

I believe you can also use the free app "fasterfix" from the market to change the server, if you aren't comfortable editing files. Requires root. Neall

Reaction score
where would i fall? otherwise my gps works flawlessly. it was only when i hit the tunnel and came out, it wouldnt reconnect...

ndoren

Reaction score
where would i fall? otherwise my gps works flawlessly. it was only when i hit the tunnel and came out, it wouldnt reconnect...

Well it SHOULD reconnect. I'd say you fall into the category of maybe trying a fix. The good news is you'll know right away if it works, if it reconnects after the tunnel. For most it's not uncommon to lose lock permanently (requiring a reboot) but yours is very predicable and easy to test. The potential fix is all a matter of how comfortable you are rooting and doing root things. For some, it's trivial given their experience, and for others it's just too unfamiliar and risky. Don't do anything you're uncomfortable with. Neall