Waiting for gps signal???

joelharter

Reaction score
I can not get a gps signal on google maps, jog tracker, and several gps signal apps i downloaded to figure out the problem. I am sure i have all of the gps settings on, i have tried a reboot/battery pull, have tried clearing agps, cleared google maps and others cache/data. And still nothing.
Any advice? Any other droid 3ers having this issue?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

smalltank

Reaction score
try pulling your battery with phone off..then put it back n restart..check for updates...turn location ON (make sense?)

OP
J

joelharter

Reaction score
Did all that...
Really frustrating having my new droid 3 only to have to use my wifes droid 2 to get our family to the zoo...

OP
J

joelharter

Reaction score
Would anyone else with a droid 3 be willing to download GPS test by chartcross limited from the market and tell me if they are seeing satellites on the grid... im not convinced its not just an compatibility issue with gingerbread or the droid 3 itself. Thanks.

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
just throwing this out there, maybe something went wrong during setup of the location stuff, so try this next time you use nav and it can't find you or maps or anything else and its having a hard time finding you or it says searching.

turn off all the GPS settings, uncheck the boxes for VZW, Standalone and even google GPS Services, then reboot and turn them back on and re-accept the terms for each, then see if it works, let me know how that goes for you? cause my GPS has been fine and I Have about 6 satellites listed using the app you said to try.

I can not get a gps signal on google maps, jog tracker, and several gps signal apps i downloaded to figure out the problem. I am sure i have all of the gps settings on, i have tried a reboot/battery pull, have tried clearing agps, cleared google maps and others cache/data. And still nothing.
Any advice? Any other droid 3ers having this issue?

danachee

Reaction score
I have the same problem. I called Verizon, who said they don't support GPS, so they transferred me to Motorola. The guy there had me do a hard reset, still no GPS. So I got an exchange phone (went over to Verizon and picked one up). Nope, no better.

So, two phones, no GPS. For anyone with GPS working, what are you using to tell? GPS Status, GPS Test, or something else?

Thanks,

dustyewebb

Reaction score
I have the same problem. I called Verizon, who said they don't support GPS, so they transferred me to Motorola. The guy there had me do a hard reset, still no GPS. So I got an exchange phone (went over to Verizon and picked one up). Nope, no better.

So, two phones, no GPS. For anyone with GPS working, what are you using to tell? GPS Status, GPS Test, or something else?

Thanks,

I too had this problem. I called *611 and spoke with verizon tech support. I turned my phone off, pulled the battery, then rebooted it (soft reset). Now my gps and location based services all work fine. hope this helps.

danachee

Reaction score
Ok, here's the difference between my Droid 1 and my Droid 3:

View attachment 35356

Since GPS Test thinks it has a signal, but can't display any satellites, I'm guessing maybe the GPS chip is working, but there's a software glitch along the way?

I'm assuming we are all running the same kernel.

danachee

Reaction score
Yes, I tried that as well, turned it off, pulled the battery (left it out for at least a minute), hard reset the phone, replaced the phone ... :).

Its really odd ...

technogeek00

Reaction score

Thanks,

I have both GPS Status and just downloaded GPS Test. Both application showed the satellites on my Droid 1, but now they don't show satellites on the Droid 3. However, the Longitude/Latitude numbers match my GPS unit I have damn near perfectly (and way more accurately than just cell signal so I know its the chip). I think this chip just isn't capable of showing where the satellites are or it receives the information a lot differently than previous chips so they don't show in the apps.

Aeolus

Reaction score
I have the same issue. I have not actually tried using navigation, however "GPS Essentials" and "GPS Test" neither display satellite information. I do seem to get accurate location data though. Sort of bugs me, I like knowing the constellation information for work related reasons.

Will try the pull battery thing tough and report back if it works.

Edit/Update: Tried soft and hard reset... Still no satillite "in view". Location when compared w/ OG Droid seems pretty good, though FWIW OG Droid appears to be more accurate when viewing location on Google Satillite view...

Last edited:

geojock

Reaction score
I am having the same issue. Need directions, but couldnt get a GPS signal the the 20 min i was on the road. Downloaded GPS test and nothing. When i turned on the Verizon VZW services I got GPS info location accuracy, etc but it didnt show what satellites.

I did the turn off GPS services then battery pull and now it looks like i can get my location on Maps with out VZW on but nothing on GPS Test. When I turn on VZW i get GPS info location accuracy, etc but it didnt show what satellites.

I need to drive around and see how well it does.
Not sure whats going on here. What is VZW services? Why is there not the use wifi option anymore for location?

Uncle700

Reaction score
I sent an e-mail to GPS Status about the lack of satellites showing up and they replied that there was a bug with the D3 that would not show them. Otherwise mine connects quickly and shows position.

Reaction score
Occasionally my gps will refuse to function for google navigation, maps, or anything gps related. A reboot is the only thing that fixes it for me.