VZW sales person talked me out of upgrading today

jbg25

Reaction score
So...I have a guy at the local VZW reseller who I have gotten to know pretty well ( I even rooted his phone for him...LOL ).

I have been stopping in there every week or two to see what he might be hearing about the new phones and 4g in my area. And although I usually hear the rumors first here. He is always happy to confirm once he hears.

Anyway, so I do not want any of the new Droids announced at CES. Wait...I want the Atrix...but with it on ATT (and likely being super locked down and full of bloat...even more than VZW)...I will not jump ship for it. But the Thunderbolt and Bionic just don't do it for me. On top of that...we are not getting 4g at my home or office until end of the year or later.

So since I don't want any of the phones announced for release by summer...and even if they release one I like like the Atrix...I don't want to sign up for 4G until I get it at home and office at the very least...I have started thinking maybe I should use my upgrade before Sunday on the Droid2G (now that it has SBF leaked). And then use my last NE2 in 13 months to go 4G.

So I walked into the store and talk to my boy. He asked me why I wanted the D2G and why wouldn't I just save it and get the Thunderbolt when it comes out? He then said he was sure that VZW would have a new upgrade plan...but regardless he thought I should wait.

Now here is my dilemma. Was he trying to hint something to me? Or is the D2G not a good phone? Can anyone else think of why he turned down a sale?

Also...what would you do given my circumstances? Upgrade or risk it and wait knowing there may not be a phone you want til late in the year anyway?

Also if you have the D2G...how do you like it? if you had a D1 is it noticeably better? I would think with the more powerful processor and the 8G of internal would be enough reason to chose the D2G if I upgrade now.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
OP
J

jbg25

Reaction score
hmm how about a 1 year contract?

If I get it tomorrow I still get the NE2 @ 13 months so still worth the 2 year. After Sunday ...yes...I would only do a one year.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well considering you've made a friend at the Verizon store maybe he's trying to hook you up, like how you rooted his Droid.

Maybe he heard word of the 4g pricing plans and might possibly give you an employee discount. Or maybe he knows about some other device not announced at CES that would blow your mind.

Too many things to tell why he wouldn't want that sale, really. Maybe he just said to wait it out to give you time to really think about if you wanted to upgrade now vs. when 4g comes out later this year in your market. You seemed to have decided on the D2G already so I don't see why you just didn't go for it.

OP
J

jbg25

Reaction score
OMG...I am an Idgit!!!

My wife just reminded me her phone get a NE2 this summer and she said the droid does more than she needs and could care less for a new phone.

So I think I am def going to BestBuy today. Now I can upgrade now...and still have 2 in my pocket!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
If you're coming in every other week or so I doubt he's worried about not making a sale.

Reps don't know anything. I had a "mgmt trainee" insist to me no LTE phones would be out until like May. She had "been to corporate and would know". Literally like a day later the CEO said Jan/Feb.

And if you think about it, kind of actually makes sense...Why would VZW want its reps making "decisions" for potential buyers and talking them out of contract extensions today for something rumored to be coming out?

Last edited:
OP
J

jbg25

Reaction score
If you're coming in every other week or so I doubt he's worried about not making a sale.

Reps don't know anything. I had a "mgmt trainee" insist to me no LTE phones would be out until like May. She had "been to corporate and would know". Literally like a day later the CEO said Jan/Feb.

And if you think about it, kind of actually makes sense...Why would VZW want its reps making "decisions" for potential buyers and talking them out of contract extensions today for something rumored to be coming out?

So?? Your saying wait? or get the phone?

joggy

Reaction score
Also if you have the D2G...how do you like it? if you had a D1 is it noticeably better? I would think with the more powerful processor and the 8G of internal would be enough reason to chose the D2G if I upgrade now.

Wow. Other than being buddies with the VZW rep, I could have written the above OP myself. That's the exact dilemma I had faced up until yesterday when I pulled the trigger on a 1 yr plan with the D2G (wanted to get in before changes on Sunday).

The D2G is a replacement for my D1. Although I still love my D1 I wanted a faster device to hold me over while LTE and new devices shake out. The D2G fulfills it for me. Both my D1 & D2G are stock except for ADW EX. The D2G is significantly faster, has a much better touch screen and much improved slide out keyboard.

Another plus was all my accessories for D1 work with the D2G with the exception of the D1's car mount (original Moto one, not the updated D2 one). This saved me a ton in replacing those as well.

All in all it has been a worthy upgrade for me. YMMV.

OP
J

jbg25

Reaction score

Wow. Other than being buddies with the VZW rep, I could have written the above OP myself. That's the exact dilemma I had faced up until yesterday when I pulled the trigger on a 1 yr plan with the D2G (wanted to get in before changes on Sunday).

The D2G is a replacement for my D1. Although I still love my D1 I wanted a faster device to hold me over while LTE and new devices shake out. The D2G fulfills it for me. Both my D1 & D2G are stock except for ADW EX. The D2G is significantly faster, has a much better touch screen and much improved slide out keyboard.

Another plus was all my accessories for D1 work with the D2G with the exception of the D1's car mount (original Moto one, not the updated D2 one). This saved me a ton in replacing those as well.

All in all it has been a worthy upgrade for me. YMMV.

Good to hear the D2G is noticeably better....But I am not more confused then this morning!

I stopped at another VZW store today...where nobody knows my name or face. Again they were in no rush to sell me a phone and essentially told me they did not see the urgency to upgrade since they assured me 4g would be available in my area this summer.

WTF!!! I thought they were all hawks for a sale in fact I have been blatantly mislead in the past so that they could get me to buy the phone before I walked out.

I am so torn!

Last edited:

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd say wait, he's obviously looking out for you and although some of the verizon employees don't know much, this guy seems like he has your best interests in mind (He could have made money off the deal).

Who knows, you may try out the bionic or thunderbolt and love it.