Help me devise a plan, switch from VZW to Sprint...

warped1987

Reaction score
OK, not sure what section to put this in, but here it goes.

Here are the basics.

Currently on Verizon, 2 phones on the plan (I am the secondary). Primary is a Feature phone, I have a Droid 2 Global. We have been on Verizon since December of last year, so like 7 months. I have been thoroughly disappointed with my phone, too many problems with it. We went into Sprint today to see what they got because a friend told me they will pay your ETF which I found out to be False, and I've had my eye on the EVO 3D. He told us some stuff like you get credited money for porting your phone numbers over to them.

So some of my questions are, how much is the ETF for Verizon? I hear $350 -$10 a month for smart phones and like $175-$10 a month for Feature.

So if we were to just go to Sprint, have them port the numbers over (that instantly terminates the VZW plan) then we get some bonus for going to Sprint added onto our first bill apparently.

Then I was planning on selling our phones to this shop downtown where I live, maybe get like $100-200 for my Droid 2 Global, and maybe around $40 for the feature phone. Put that towards this Sprint switch.

Then I would get the EVO 3D for $199 and he was planning on getting this Rumor phone that's supposedly a "Green" phone and doesn't require a $10 data fee or whatever. And he said he would throw in some cases and car charges and other BS.

I just want a NEW phone, I didn't want to return my D2G phone to Verizon and explain them all the problems with it just to get a refurbished phone that I don't want. And I can't afford the Droid 3 full retail price (which is what I always wanted).

Unless someone can come up with a way for me to complain to them and get a new phone like the D3 or another phone I would like for a discounted price, or even trade my D2G in for something else, anything to get rid of this dang phone without paying full retail.

Sorry this whole ordeal was sketch, lol, it's a lot to process, but can anyone help me out with an option here? THANKS!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
only way you're getting a new phone is by buying full retail or taking the ETF and signing up for another contract.

best thing i can think of for you is sell the d2g at full retail on craigslist or something and get the droid 3 at full retail....

Beka27

Reaction score
What is service like with Sprint in your area? Remember, if you cancel your contract and go to Sprint and the service is awful (as it is in some areas), you have already terminated your contract with Verizon and lost your unlimited data. At that point, there's no going back unless you want tiers. Can you get a contract set up with Sprint and take it on a trial run, cancelling before the return period is up if your service isn't good?

Verizon has no incentive to help you out with getting a different phone model. By receiving your phone at a subsidized price, you signed a contract saying you would pay off the rest of your phone thru your 2 year contract. If you don't pay off the rest of your phone, the ETF pays it off.

grnidkjun

Reaction score
One thing verizon has let me do.. is that after keeping service on a smart phone for one year.. I can upgrade to a new phone at the two year contract price. I lose my NE2 discount, but I can get a new phone each year at the contract price.

So, if you stay with Verizon, hang onto your D2G for a while longer.. you've already got 7 months on it.. see if you can upgrade in 5 months and just pay the 2 yr contract price.

Then sell your D2G down the street or craigs list or whatever and recoup some of that money.

Keep your unlimited data plan.

Sprint coverage here is horrible so there's no way I could switch to them.

jseah

Reaction score
One thing verizon has let me do.. is that after keeping service on a smart phone for one year.. I can upgrade to a new phone at the two year contract price. I lose my NE2 discount, but I can get a new phone each year at the contract price.

So, if you stay with Verizon, hang onto your D2G for a while longer.. you've already got 7 months on it.. see if you can upgrade in 5 months and just pay the 2 yr contract price.

Then sell your D2G down the street or craigs list or whatever and recoup some of that money.

Keep your unlimited data plan.

Sprint coverage here is horrible so there's no way I could switch to them.

That was the annual upgrade. Verizon did away with that earlier this year. Those who are eligible for one will get one last one.

grnidkjun

Reaction score
Hmm.. well, I've always been on the two year plan.
But just in case, I better hold off on upgrading the other phone as long as I can so I can get it situated where one always upgrades each year.

jseah

Reaction score
Hmm.. well, I've always been on the two year plan.
But just in case, I better hold off on upgrading the other phone as long as I can so I can get it situated where one always upgrades each year.

Sorry, I meant the "early" upgrade. On a two year plan, if the price point was high enough, you could upgrade early at 12 months. Verizon did away with this earlier this year.

googlelover

Reaction score
If your really that disappointed by it and you want the droid 3, call in and tell them you've been having a lot of problems with your phone, and ask if they could extend your contract by 2 years so you could get an early upgrade, and if not you already have plans to switch to sprint. =P sometimes you can get lucky and get a retainer on the phone, they will pretty much give you phones n stuff if you threaten to switch. All I can say is call in and see if they can do anything to keep you on verizon, most reps are very helpful just stay calm on the phone with them.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just want a NEW phone, I didn't want to return my D2G phone to Verizon and explain them all the problems with it just to get a refurbished phone that I don't want.
Have you actually tried getting yours replaced? Yours may be a lemon. Don't assume that refurbs have problems. Posts on forum sites make it look like all of them do but no one ever bothers to post that they got a refurb that works well. By nature, forum posts are made by people with problems.

And I can't afford the Droid 3 full retail price (which is what I always wanted).
Then save up until you can.

OP
W

warped1987

Reaction score
Think I might try to call them up and complain over the phone. I'm a better complainer over the phone rather than face to face with someone, lol.

And yes, I went in monday and asked for a new one, they are sending me a refurbished D2G soon.

And there's no way in hell I'm ever going to pay full retail on a phone, lol, they aren't worth that kind of money, and they are high on 8 types of drugs if they think that I'm dumb enough to pay $500 for a new phone. There's always ways around this stuff.