VZW Rep/General Account Questions only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
tylonal

tylonal

Reaction score
I have a question:

Do all lines on a family account have access to the same Friends and Family numbers? For example can phone B use the F&F numbers added by phone A?

Friends and Family numbers....great question.
10 friends and family numbers are available for each ACCOUNT that is eligable.
ie, if line 1,2,3,4 and 5 all call grandma, and she has at&t, if she is on the f&f list...all lines can call her, and she can call all lines.

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
Do you really have to add a $10 data plan to phones like the envy or motorola rival? Was thinking about adding a line for one of my kids, and the rival was one of the phones he liked. I liked it too since it has qwerty and easier for him to text.

Cant the data stuff be blocked off the phone so he cant access that? A best buy employee told me that stuff could be blocked, so if thats true why would I have to pay $10 for data for that phone?

One other thing, I have the select plan, which appears to no longer be available. As long as I dont change my plan will I keep that for as long as Im with VZW? I currently have 2 lines, 700min, unlimited txt, for about $90 with my corporate discount (21%).

Last edited:
OP
tylonal

tylonal

Reaction score
Do you really have to add a $10 data plan to phones like the envy or motorola rival? Was thinking about adding a line for one of my kids, and the rival was one of the phones he liked. I liked it too since it has qwerty and easier for him to text.

Cant the data stuff be blocked off the phone so he cant access that? A best buy employee told me that stuff could be blocked, so if thats true why would I have to pay $10 for data for that phone?

One other thing, I have the select plan, which appears to no longer be available. As long as I dont change my plan will I keep that for as long as Im with VZW? I currently have 2 lines, 700min, unlimited txt, for about $90 with my corporate discount (21%).

its ALLLL about the money. as of jan 18th, the env3 (among others) now requires a data plan in order to be anything but a paperweight. BUT if you had one active before then, you are safely grandfatherd.
to answer your q....yes it is possible, and no, it does not REQUIRE a data plan, in fact, no phone REQUIRES a data plan....but....verizon DOES require it to have one. cuz they want more money.
i hate to say it. but that is the simple truth. if you want one of those "semi-smart" phones, you gotta pony up that extra $10 per month.

also, yes. just like the phones, verizon can not MAKE you switch plans. if you are on a plan, you can stay on it as long as you want. even if it is no longer offered....but if you renew your contract by getting a new phone with your new every two, or annual upgrade discount, then you are subject to change on your pplan.

Last edited:

Dave Droid

Reaction score
Welcome to the Droid Forums sir :)

I can't tell you enough how happy I am with my Droid and Verizon's overall support.

If you can answer a quick question for me:
I have just recently purchased a Droid using my only "upgrade" left. Do you know any possible "loopholes" that can also get my dad a Droid Eris at the 2 year price? He already has a LG Versa and he would like to upgrade to the Droid Eris.

Thanks.

honestly...it depends. is he on your family plan? if so, did you use YOUR upgrade, or his? you can get what is called an "alternate upgrade" (that is using an upgrade date that is available for one of your "secondary lines", insted of yours)
for example, if you started your contract with 3 lines on jan 1st, 09, each line is eligable for an "annual up" on jan 1st, 2010. now if you used your upgrade (example), and then..2 months later...want another upgrade, if your 2ndary lines havent used theirs....you can!

...does this make sence?

also, same applies for new every 2 upgrades.

No I can't quite get that. But we were just talking and he mentioned that he can add a line for my sister for $9.99, get the DROID Eris with that and then give my sister the Versa. Can it work like that?

I appreciate your help thus far,
Dave Droid

iDroid

Reaction score
Thanks for your offer to answer questions! Coincidentally, I have one. When it comes to employer discounts on personal accounts. I added a 2nd Droid to my account after being told by two different CSRs that the "data" portion of the 2nd phone's charges would be discounted just as it is for the 1st phone on the account. Now that I have two Droids on the account, all Verizon CSRs I speak with say that the data plan on the 1st phone is the only one that gets the discount, and that is in accordance with the discount plan associated with my employer. Can you shed some light on employer-based discounts? Does it vary from employer to employer whether or not the 2nd phone's data plan will be discounted. Have you any way of knowing if both CSRs I spoke with before buying the 2nd Droid were both wrong? Or is it the billing CSRs who are wrong?Thanks!

OP
tylonal

tylonal

Reaction score
No I can't quite get that. But we were just talking and he mentioned that he can add a line for my sister for $9.99, get the DROID Eris with that and then give my sister the Versa. Can it work like that?

I appreciate your help thus far,
Dave Droid[/QUOTE]

well, im not saying it isnt possible, however, i would not go SEEKING it. if a policy is there, it is there for a reason....
verizon has a group of people who do nothing all day but sit at computers reconsiling accounts. i have seen this happen to people. somone is recieving a discount he or she is not supposed to be getting---for example, an employee discount after they have been unemployed for 6 or more moths from that employer...verizon will verify what is supposed to be there, and then charge you for ALLL the discounts you have been irroneously recieving.

the ONLY smart phones (that i know of) that can be activated without a data plan, are the older palm treo's.

OP
tylonal

tylonal

Reaction score
Thanks for your offer to answer questions! Coincidentally, I have one. When it comes to employer discounts on personal accounts. I added a 2nd Droid to my account after being told by two different CSRs that the "data" portion of the 2nd phone's charges would be discounted just as it is for the 1st phone on the account. Now that I have two Droids on the account, all Verizon CSRs I speak with say that the data plan on the 1st phone is the only one that gets the discount, and that is in accordance with the discount plan associated with my employer. Can you shed some light on employer-based discounts? Does it vary from employer to employer whether or not the 2nd phone's data plan will be discounted. Have you any way of knowing if both CSRs I spoke with before buying the 2nd Droid were both wrong? Or is it the billing CSRs who are wrong?Thanks!

common misconception. an "employee discount" is only eligable for the employees phone. and, although yes, i have seen it happen, where all phones on the account are getting data plan discounts, they are rectified eventually.
so, in short, no. only the main line on the account gets the employee disount. and if your wifes job offers one, and yours doesnt, it isnt just as simple as putting her as main line. she must completly take over the account so that it is under her credit and social in order for your account to get the discount..

wkwaggoner

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid turbo 2
howdy....both my wife and i can get employee discounts....i'm using mine now....can i apply hers to the account? it is a seperate company....tx

OP
tylonal

tylonal

Reaction score
howdy....both my wife and i can get employee discounts....i'm using mine now....can i apply hers to the account? it is a seperate company....tx

it depends. only lines that cost $34.99 and higher are eligable for discounts. ie- a 2ndary line does not qualify--it only forst $9.99. the data plan in this case does not count tword the total cost of the line.

bass_lover1

Reaction score
common misconception. an "employee discount" is only eligable for the employees phone. and, although yes, i have seen it happen, where all phones on the account are getting data plan discounts, they are rectified eventually.
so, in short, no. only the main line on the account gets the employee disount. and if your wifes job offers one, and yours doesnt, it isnt just as simple as putting her as main line. she must completly take over the account so that it is under her credit and social in order for your account to get the discount..

Hmm, this has me worried a bit. Let me explain.

My Mom has been with Verizon for probably 3-4 years now and within that time my employer has started offering a discount on Verizon. At the time I was with AT&T so I figured, heck why not put the account in my name and apply my discount (it's a pretty good discount). Now that I'm also a Verizon customer, my line is also receiving the discount. For now, it's set up so that we have two separate rate plans (not on a family plan yet) but both under the same account. My number is now the main number, and we're both receiving the discount. Are you saying that my discount could be cancelled for my mother's number?

Thanks.

OP
tylonal

tylonal

Reaction score

My Mom has been with Verizon for probably 3-4 years now and within that time my employer has started offering a discount on Verizon. At the time I was with AT&T so I figured, heck why not put the account in my name and apply my discount (it's a pretty good discount). Now that I'm also a Verizon customer, my line is also receiving the discount. For now, it's set up so that we have two separate rate plans (not on a family plan yet) but both under the same account. My number is now the main number, and we're both receiving the discount. Are you saying that my discount could be cancelled for my mother's number?

Thanks.

no, as long as each line is more than $34.99, you are fine. so, if each has its own plan, but are both on the same "account"...your good.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Thanks.

no, as long as each line is more than $34.99, you are fine. so, if each has its own plan, but are both on the same "account"...your good.
You achieved FCR! :icon_ banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.