Noob Question For unlimited Data package

mricchio

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just had a few questions about the HTC thunderbolt and the unlimited data package.

I've had verizon for about 1.5 year now with my Droid 2-Rooted and Tether app.
I recently heard that verizon is getting rid of there unlimited data package, and i was wondering i were to buy the HTC thunderbolt in the next few days, would i still be eligible for unlimited package. And if so would i be able to root the phone and enable tethering like i did with my Droid 2.

Thanks all!
-Mike

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can but you shall be on the watch list, and most tools don't even work on the newer devices.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
If you HAVE the unlimited data package now on your Droid 2, then when you upgrade to the Thunderbolt you will still have the unlimited data package.

Current smartphone+data users are grandfathered in, new users (starting July 7th, 2011) are not.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I hope so... I hope Verizon makes it right since they have been doing what seems like shady crap on their plans.

sent from my ApeX

OP
M

mricchio

Reaction score
So if i currently have unlimited 3g data right now i will get grandfathered in at anytime? or just till the end or today?

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
So if i currently have unlimited 3g data right now i will get grandfathered in at anytime? or just till the end or today?

Being "grandfathered in" means that when Verizon changes their plan/pricing, you will keep your "current plan/pricing" and can continue to update your phone continuing to keep your current plan (unlimited data for $29.99).

If you have the smartphone $29.99 plan currently....then you are grandfathered in when Verizon changes their plan/pricing tomorrow.

les017

Reaction score
Well I'd like to chime in with a noob-ish question myself, instead of another thread.

So I have UNL data since I got the D1 back in Oct '09. I understand I am grandfathered in to UNL 3G and 4G when I upgrade my phone sometime this year...after 07/07/11.

QUESTION - do I retain my grandfathering if I go beyond my 2 year contract? Basically if my contract is up in October and I don't upgrade my phone until December, would I still be grandfathered? I know it has worked this way in the past, but I never much paid attention before, since the stakes were not so high.

any info appreciated, as always

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would imagine that is true but I will wait for others to chime it. That is a good question.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jseah

Reaction score
Well I'd like to chime in with a noob-ish question myself, instead of another thread.

So I have UNL data since I got the D1 back in Oct '09. I understand I am grandfathered in to UNL 3G and 4G when I upgrade my phone sometime this year...after 07/07/11.

QUESTION - do I retain my grandfathering if I go beyond my 2 year contract? Basically if my contract is up in October and I don't upgrade my phone until December, would I still be grandfathered? I know it has worked this way in the past, but I never much paid attention before, since the stakes were not so high.

any info appreciated, as always

Yes, you can still upgrade and sign a new contract and unlimited is grandfathered. Or you can not upgrade and leave your account as month-to-month and unlimited is grandfathered. At least that is how it stands today and tomorrow. No one knows if Verizon will decide to change it 6 months, 1 year, or 10 years from now.