Using VZW in Thailand and SE Asia

NascarFan29

Reaction score
I know there have been other threads about this but I cant find a definitive answer so I offer my question up to the general discussion board for help.

I have a crappy slow Eris 2.1 that is the laggiest, slowest droid ever. That being said I am moving to Thailand for 7 months starting next Monday. I had planned on buying a phone over there but have decided it might be risky. I want to be able to use my phone or any phone with the android system I have grown accustomed to.

Some say VZW CDMA phones will roam in thailand and others say no. VZW phone reps give me a bunch of circular answers that lead to nowhere except that roaming is EXPENSIVE in other countries.

So.. Any advice?

Thanks.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't know why "definitive answers" are really needed. Bookmark the tools to do the research. IIRC GSM World had this info. You could look up the carriers in any country in the world, their networks, frequencies, etc.

Also, in general, when asking your carrier about international use, make sure you specifically ask for your carrier's international support group. If that rep can't answer your question specifically then call back and try another. They have to know this information. They know who they have roaming agreements with.

Last edited:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here ya go:
GSM Coverage Maps

I don't see a single CDMA carrier in Thailand. In general, CDMA is very rare outside the US and even when you do find it outside the US it may not be compatible.

smilepak

Reaction score
It is possible, but pricey because it would be considered as roaming. So the fee will be crazy. You will have to call VZW and tell them you will be travel to "X" country for them to activate the service there.

I would recommend

1) Buy a GSM pre-paid phone here and replace the sim once you get to Thailand
2) Buy a cheap GSM pone and buy a pre-paid sim in Thailand

harrellj

Reaction score
The only other option, if you're absolutely determined to use your Eris overseas, is to put it into Airplane mode while there and turn on wi-fi only for data (and have some sort of wireless router to go with). For calls/texts, get a cheap phone and a pre-paid sim.

OP
N

NascarFan29

Reaction score
Thank you I will just buy a droid aria and unlock it.