OK I am completely confused ...

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
First of all I have been searching and reading before posting this thread, and I read this thread about data plan misconceptions:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/1031-misconceptions-unlimited-data.html

H
ere's why I am confused: I have had a Droid 2 for a little under 2 years, and am quite happy with it. Last year, Verizon had a "promotional plan" that came out and caused quite a stir on Droid Forums. The plan has 450 minutes talk, but text and data is "unlimited". I made damn sure when I signed up for the plan that data was "unlimited", and have been told by Verizon reps several times that as long as I don't change my plan, my data will stay "grandfathered in" for data to be "unlimited", even though the misconceptions thread I posted a link to says that the plans do NOT have a 5GB cap. They also told me that even if I upgrade to a new phone, my data plan will remain "unlimited" on a new phone.

So ... I am due for an upgrade and contract extension in September, but in my searching and reading I have found "plan changes" are being put into effect on June 28th by Verizon.

So if I upgrade to a new phone in September, will that plan stay intact, or is Big Red going to stick it to me since it will be after June 28th, and most important, will I be 4G eligible with a new phone or will I have to stay with 3G to avoid having them stick it to me for more money? Am I stuck on 3G with this plan? They told me I can't change my plan, and they also told me THEY can't change my plan either, but everything I am reading here tells me that the $30 data plan is truly unlimited anyway.

Now you see why I'm confused? :icon_eek:

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
First of all I have been searching and reading before posting this thread, and I read this thread about data plan misconceptions:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/1031-misconceptions-unlimited-data.html

H
ere's why I am confused: I have had a Droid 2 for a little under 2 years, and am quite happy with it. Last year, Verizon had a "promotional plan" that came out and caused quite a stir on Droid Forums. The plan has 450 minutes talk, but text and data is "unlimited". I made damn sure when I signed up for the plan that data was "unlimited", and have been told by Verizon reps several times that as long as I don't change my plan, my data will stay "grandfathered in" for data to be "unlimited", even though the misconceptions thread I posted a link to says that the plans do NOT have a 5GB cap. They also told me that even if I upgrade to a new phone, my data plan will remain "unlimited" on a new phone.

So ... I am due for an upgrade and contract extension in September, but in my searching and reading I have found "plan changes" are being put into effect on June 28th by Verizon.

So if I upgrade to a new phone in September, will that plan stay intact, or is Big Red going to stick it to me since it will be after June 28th, and most important, will I be 4G eligible with a new phone or will I have to stay with 3G to avoid having them stick it to me for more money? Am I stuck on 3G with this plan? They told me I can't change my plan, and they also told me THEY can't change my plan either, but everything I am reading here tells me that the $30 data plan is truly unlimited anyway.

Now you see why I'm confused? :icon_eek:

The only way you can keep your current Unlimited 3G plan is to buy a used 3G phone, or buy one for full retail from VZW. If you buy a new phone at a discounted price, you will be forced into the new shared data plan, and probably be forced to get a 4G phone since VZW will not be selling 3G phones anymore. At least not new, anyway. This new data plan goes into effect on June 28th. I'm not sure about the 4G plans, though. I think they apply to this as well. If I'm wrong, I will be corrected shortly. Regarding Unlimited: even though Big Brother tells you that you have Unlimited, they do/can/will throttle it if you use so much data a month. The only way to keep from being throttle is do use a lot of data, or have unlimited 4G. I have unlimited 3G, but I'm mostly connected to WiFi, so I can't say that I'm being, or have been, throttled.

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
If you upgrade in September, you won't be able to buy a discounted phone and keep your unlimited.

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The only way you can keep your current Unlimited 3G plan is to buy a used 3G phone, or buy one for full retail from VZW. If you buy a new phone at a discounted price, you will be forced into the new shared data plan, and probably be forced to get a 4G phone since VZW will not be selling 3G phones anymore. At least not new, anyway. This new data plan goes into effect on June 28th. I'm not sure about the 4G plans, though. I think they apply to this as well. If I'm wrong, I will be corrected shortly. Regarding Unlimited: even though Big Brother tells you that you have Unlimited, they do/can/will throttle it if you use so much data a month. The only way to keep from being throttle is do use a lot of data, or have unlimited 4G. I have unlimited 3G, but I'm mostly connected to WiFi, so I can't say that I'm being, or have been, throttled.

Let me make sure I understand you correctly, if I buy a new phone AFTER June 28th they are going to charge me FULL RETAIL PRICE for the phone if I want to keep my unlimited data plan that they told me I can't change and they can't either?????

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score

3G or 4G makes no difference, Verizon does not look at it that way, a DATA plan is a DATA plan, may it be on your older 3G phone or newer 4G/3G phone. Verizon does not and will not sell anymore new 3G phones, every new smartphone on Verizon will be 4G capable from now on, including the new iPhone, iPhone is the only 3G "only" smartphone still on their network, only reason they took on the iPhone when they did "had 4G LTE running on their newtwork", was so they can finally get the iPhone, they did not care at the time that it did not have 4G.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Let me make sure I understand you correctly, if I buy a new phone AFTER June 28th they are going to charge me FULL RETAIL PRICE for the phone if I want to keep my unlimited data plan that they told me I can't change and they can't either?????

You have the option of paying full price for a new phone, or a used, cheaper phone. Short answer, yes.

3G or 4G makes no difference, Verizon does not look at it that way, a DATA plan is a DATA plan, may it be on your older 3G phone or newer 4G/3G phone. Verizon does not and will not sell anymore new 3G phones, every new smartphone on Verizon will be 4G capable from now on, including the new iPhone, iPhone is the only 3G "only" smartphone still on their network, only reason they took on the iPhone when they did "had 4G LTE running on their newtwork", was so they can finally get the iPhone, they did not care at the time that it did not have 4G.

Thank you for clarifying that. :)

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I just called Big Red. The CSR I spoke to was very friendly and helpful. Yes, I have until June 28th to make up my mind. After June 28th, yes, they will bang me for full retail for a new phone. Right now I am eligible for a discount of $130.00 off any new 4G phone. But the big one is, YES, if I do it before June 28th, I CAN keep my plan, with unlimited data and text, essentially no changes to my plan features or the price, and YES, 4G does fall into that category so I can have a new phone, with unlimited 4G, as long as I do it before June 28th.

Now I gotta research phones ... :blink:

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I just called Big Red. The CSR I spoke to was very friendly and helpful. Yes, I have until June 28th to make up my mind. After June 28th, yes, they will bang me for full retail for a new phone. Right now I am eligible for a discount of $130.00 off any new 4G phone. But the big one is, YES, if I do it before June 28th, I CAN keep my plan, with unlimited data and text, essentially no changes to my plan features or the price, and YES, 4G does fall into that category so I can have a new phone, with unlimited 4G, as long as I do it before June 28th.

Now I gotta research phones ... :blink:

I'm glad you've got it figured out. I figured you could have done everything before the 28th, but I didn't want to get your hopes up and I didn't think you would want to pay the $350 early termination fee. I guess that classifies as withholding information, and for that, I'm sorry.

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm glad you've got it figured out. I figured you could have done everything before the 28th, but I didn't want to get your hopes up and I didn't think you would want to pay the $350 early termination fee. I guess that classifies as withholding information, and for that, I'm sorry.

No biggie at all ... I got a text from Big Red today saying I am eligible for $130.00 off any new 4G phone "for a limited time" ... that's why I came on here to do some research on phones. My research led to topics about their data plan changes on June 28th, which brought me to posting this thread. I've been really happy with my Droid 2, but I've been even happier with unlimited data. I don't download movies and music, I don't do games or any of that stuff on my phone, but I'm on the road alot and I do internet, weather, all the basic stuff. But hey, if I can get a new 4G phone with unlimited data and no changes to my plan, especially the price, I'm all kinds of down with that LOL Thanks for your help! :hail:

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I guess Imma have to go with one of them fancy new Droid Razr Maxx phones ... for 70 bucks that's not too shabby, especially with unlimited 4G on it. Ordering one on Monday :biggrin:

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
No biggie at all ... I got a text from Big Red today saying I am eligible for $130.00 off any new 4G phone "for a limited time" ... that's why I came on here to do some research on phones. My research led to topics about their data plan changes on June 28th, which brought me to posting this thread. I've been really happy with my Droid 2, but I've been even happier with unlimited data. I don't download movies and music, I don't do games or any of that stuff on my phone, but I'm on the road alot and I do internet, weather, all the basic stuff. But hey, if I can get a new 4G phone with unlimited data and no changes to my plan, especially the price, I'm all kinds of down with that LOL Thanks for your help! :hail:

I guess Imma have to go with one of them fancy new Droid Razr Maxx phones ... for 70 bucks that's not too shabby, especially with unlimited 4G on it. Ordering one on Monday :biggrin:

No problem. :) Yeah, unlimited does help a lot. Question, do you flash ROMs a lot?

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No problem. :) Yeah, unlimited does help a lot. Question, do you flash ROMs a lot?

Nope ... my Droid 2 is rooted, but as I said I don't do heavy downloads. I love Titanium Backup, because I can freeze bloat apps, without having to delete them. And yes, I tether, but only for checking email, and basic stuff like Facebook and Twitter. I don't abuse it. Sometimes work puts me in hotels that actually charge for their internet. I'm not going to pay 10 bucks a day to check my email and such once or twice at a hotel. I've never flashed a single ROM, but I like being able to have full control of a phone I pay that much money for. :icon_ devil:

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Nope ... my Droid 2 is rooted, but as I said I don't do heavy downloads. I love Titanium Backup, because I can freeze bloat apps, without having to delete them. And yes, I tether, but only for checking email, and basic stuff like Facebook and Twitter. I don't abuse it. Sometimes work puts me in hotels that actually charge for their internet. I'm not going to pay 10 bucks a day to check my email and such once or twice at a hotel. I've never flashed a single ROM, but I like being able to have full control of a phone I pay that much money for. :icon_ devil:

Ok, that's cool. If you did then I was going to steer you away from Moto because of the bootloader, but I'm sure that's not a big deal for you. Motorola phones are good as business phones. Not so much as a regular everyday person phone. And they are making that clear with their business practices. But yeah, Motos are not very dev friendly.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Don't get me wrong, I love my Droid 3, Moto has a great build quality, but the unlockable bootloader is a kick in the nads for me.

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok, that's cool. If you did then I was going to steer you away from Moto because of the bootloader, but I'm sure that's not a big deal for you. Motorola phones are good as business phones. Not so much as a regular everyday person phone. And they are making that clear with their business practices. But yeah, Motos are not very dev friendly.

No that's no big deal, never has been. As long as I can get email, Facebook, Twitter, and internet on my phone, and tether my laptop from anywhere to do the same thing, I'm good to go. I may not even root the new Maxx, since I found an app that tethers without rooting. My needs are simple LOL :biggrin: