I think there's some confusion over the shared data plan...

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
[Understatement of the Year Award for that thread title...yay!]

From reading these posts, it seems like half of us think we'll be forced to switch to the new shared data plan on June 28, regardless of what plan we already have; the other half say we can keep our current tiered plans, we just lose the option of keeping unlimited data when we upgrade.
Which is correct? Or is the truth, as Cpt. Kirk once said, somewhere in between?

OP
Jmoore1701

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
Answering my own question here, but this link is to a Q&A article on NPR.org, sourcing the Associated Press:

Questions And Answers About Verizon's New Plans : NPR

I won't quote the whole article here, but here is the first question/answer:

Q: Will Verizon convert me to a new plan, or can I keep my old plan?

A: Verizon won't switch you over to the new plan unless you ask. You can keep your old plan, even if you trade up to a new phone after that date and extend your contract. But for new customers, Share Everything will be the only alternative, with a few exceptions, starting June 28.

OP
Jmoore1701

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
When you trade up, you have to pay full price, to keep unlimited.

True; that's the third question in the article. I didn't want to quote the whole article...there might be copyright issues. The main thing I wanted to address here is the confusion over whether everyone will be automatically switched to shared data on June 28; they won't. Only new customers will be put in shared data. Current customers can keep their current plans, with the caveat on unlimited data. There seems to be a clear consensus over the fate of unlimited data...

crabbybahstid

Reaction score
Full boat for a new phone might just put me back on a flip phone. I can live without the rest, and they can live with less of my dollars.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The issue for me (and I think a lot of people) is yeah we know that we are not going to be FORCED off unlimited data. We are choosing or may have planned to upgeade after the June 28th date. Because of that you basically will have to get off unlimited data for a new phone. Now I had no problem with that IF they priced it fairly. It was always speculated that the unlimited data was unlimited but they expected users to not go over the 5 gb limit. I felt a fair price would have been 3gb data for 30 or 40 bucks I can live with that price. Right now it looks as if we will be paying more for less if we go to the new plan. We all know why vzw is shedding unlimited they want to get paid for every gig people use and that is understood. But their is a difference between making money and gouging customers. I just went to sprint, t-mobile, and at&t just to play with their devices and data speeds. If vzw is looking to gouge I have no problem taking my business elsewhere. Vzw was big on customer service and people had no problem paying more for better service. Right now vzw is the first with lte but it is still up in the air whether they turn out to be the best or will the speeds be on par. Part of me think this is a poker game. Yes vzw want to push people off unlimited but its no surprise if you release news like this people run out and sign upgrade to oreserve their data for 2 more years (heck I did it before I woke up). But the worse that can happen right now is I keep paying month to month with my Nexus. I am actually liking that because I am in control until i sign another 2 year deal. I think (as hard as this will be for me I admit) the best move for me is to hold ff on upgrading and go month to month and wait and see what will happen with sprint, att, and tmobile's lte.

huskur

Reaction score
pc747 said:
The issue for me (and I think a lot of people) is yeah we know that we are not going to be FORCED off unlimited data. We are choosing or may have planned to upgeade after the June 28th date. Because of that you basically will have to get off unlimited data for a new phone. Now I had no problem with that IF they priced it fairly. It was always speculated that the unlimited data was unlimited but they expected users to not go over the 5 gb limit. I felt a fair price would have been 3gb data for 30 or 40 bucks I can live with that price. Right now it looks as if we will be paying more for less if we go to the new plan. We all know why vzw is shedding unlimited they want to get paid for every gig people use and that is understood. But their is a difference between making money and gouging customers. I just went to sprint, t-mobile, and at&t just to play with their devices and data speeds. If vzw is looking to gouge I have no problem taking my business elsewhere. Vzw was big on customer service and people had no problem paying more for better service. Right now vzw is the first with lte but it is still up in the air whether they turn out to be the best or will the speeds be on par. Part of me think this is a poker game. Yes vzw want to push people off unlimited but its no surprise if you release news like this people run out and sign upgrade to oreserve their data for 2 more years (heck I did it before I woke up). But the worse that can happen right now is I keep paying month to month with my Nexus. I am actually liking that because I am in control until i sign another 2 year deal. I think (as hard as this will be for me I admit) the best move for me is to hold ff on upgrading and go month to month and wait and see what will happen with sprint, att, and tmobile's lte.

Very good analogy. I am feeling your sentiments. VZW is hurting a lot of customers. On the other hand look at the "families" they well bring in. It's a "small loss big win"for them

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Very good analogy. I am feeling your sentiments. VZW is hurting a lot of customers. On the other hand look at the "families" they well bring in. It's a "small loss big win"for them

I think for the average customers maybe. Again I have no problem with them getting paid for data used. I think right now their is still a lot of excitement about the whole thing. In 2 weeks we will know all of it and should know what more to think. Its like when vzw first announce the vzw iphone and people felt that would end the love and support for android...here we are now with a nexus and a motorola phone (razr/razr maxx) that is outselling the iphone on vzw. Just like everything else life will go on and we will adapt.:biggrin: