Voicemail *86 on the Home Screen

tester99

Reaction score
Ok there is a voicemail icon on the main home screen. Has anyone been able to change this button from dialing *86 and making you input your password? I know how to set up VM to do this (with ,, ## etc) and can assign a speed dial and even change the default speed dial #1 to dial without a password. I cannot change that VM icon to anything besides *86. This VM button has it's own entry in contacts and cannot be changed, it states it is a Preset Contact from Verizon Wireless. I would love to hit that button and have it go straight in to VM. I know that I can create another contact and a shortcut on my homepage but when you press that one you get an extra step because it wants to know if you want to call it or text it, Seems kinda goofy that they would lock this one, this change has been easy to implement on every clam shell phone I ever had.

Any ideas? Thanks.

OP
T

tester99

Reaction score
Anybody else think it's strange you cannot customize this app? Bueller, Bueller.

myriad46

Reaction score
Voicemail *86 on the Home Screen - Android Forums

Shopping around?

If you are getting the option to call or text, then you added it as a contact. Instead of a shortcut to a contact, you want a shortcut to "Direct Dial". Then it will dial automatically. Don't forget to enter your password, "*86,,1234#" (1234 being your password and the commas for a pause) when you create the contact.

davidsettlage

Reaction score
need help with auto pw entry

has anyone solved this yet? i too cannot change the voice mail # to anything other than *86 or successfully get the pause, pw to work so i don't have to enter the pw manually. very frustrating - just got the razr and not happy

srvctec

Reaction score
has anyone solved this yet? i too cannot change the voice mail # to anything other than *86 or successfully get the pause, pw to work so i don't have to enter the pw manually. very frustrating - just got the razr and not happy

Did you not follow the directions @myriad46 gave right above your post? Do exactly as instructed and it works perfectly.

Sent from my stock DROID X2 using Tapatalk.

firedive

Reaction score
Of course there is a way!

Menu>Settings>Call>Voicemail Settings>Enter a "P or ," for pause then password: *86p1234

1234 is where you password goes obviously. Or it could look like:

ELH

Reaction score
You can setup a separate contact for voicemail and it will work, but forget about the default voicemail icon or voicemail settings, they are a lost cause...

1buda

Reaction score
I used the method firedive stated and it works perfect. No more entering my password.

ELH

Reaction score
Let me clarify, it works when you call voicemail from the notification bar or the contact list, but that voicemail icon on the home screen never works. At least I've never gotten it to, deleted it long ago...

1buda

Reaction score
I haven't tried that, but I did add it with the direct dial to the home screen.