visual voicemail

Mr Steve

Reaction score
I got the 450 minute plan right now. Friend & family have my cellphone number. A good deal of them are also on VZW, so the M2M is free. Businesses get my GV number. This allows me to block them if I want to for any reason. It's handy to have a basically 'throw-away' number.

If I were up my minutes where I would then have 'calling circle' numbers I could add my GV number there, but then calls to my VZW people would then cost them minutes, even if it was free for me.

TekHawk

Reaction score
I got the 450 minute plan right now. Friend & family have my cellphone number. A good deal of them are also on VZW, so the M2M is free. Businesses get my GV number. This allows me to block them if I want to for any reason. It's handy to have a basically 'throw-away' number.

If I were up my minutes where I would then have 'calling circle' numbers I could add my GV number there, but then calls to my VZW people would then cost them minutes, even if it was free for me.

this is where they need GV and add thier own GV to the circle in a perfect world where everyone has it set up

Reaction score
As I mentioned above, you don't have to have a Google Voice number to use most of it's features including the visual voicemail piece.

I can use GV for my regular cell number's VM on my Droid instead of using the default VM app? Please explain how to do this :)

Last edited:

TekHawk

Reaction score
As I mentioned above, you don't have to have a Google Voice number to use most of it's features including the visual voicemail piece.

I can use GV for my regular cell number's VM on my Droid instead of using the default VM app? Please explain how to do this :)

go to the website add you phone to your account then you should see this link next to it on the main settings tab

Activate Google voicemail on this phone

Serialkilla

Reaction score
You have to sign up for a request for google voice, they will send you an invite, but it takes a little while for them to get to you...and in some instances people get multiple invites, and in turn, offer them to others who haven't received one yet. It takes a few weeks to get an invite to voice,but it is well worth the wait.
Here ya go, check it out for yourself:
http://www.google.com/googlevoice/whatsnew.html

Last edited:
Reaction score

go to the website add you phone to your account then you should see this link next to it on the main settings tab

I did this. It had me call *7 then my google voice number? ...

Then I went into Google Voice on my Droid, and re-did the setup. (I've had a Google Voice number/account since the beginning, and always had to configured on my Droid, just never used it)

Through the initial sign-in, it has instructions to setup GV as my voicemail for Droid. In these instructions, it says to dial *7 then my mobile phone number...so I did this. Then it just goes to a never ending screen that says "retrieving settings" or something like that....I let it sit like that for an hour and nothing happen. Couldn't even end the GV app. Could not even force a close. Pulled the battery, turned it back on. Now when someone calls my phone and I hang up, it goes to a "busy line" sound. Just a constant beep. People can't leave me voicemails anymore...oops what did I break!? :)

Reaction score
Google Voice as Main Voicemail Client on Droid Help!

I did this. It had me call *7 then my google voice number? ...

Then I went into Google Voice on my Droid, and re-did the setup. (I've had a Google Voice number/account since the beginning, and always had to configured on my Droid, just never used it)

Through the initial sign-in, it has instructions to setup GV as my voicemail for Droid. In these instructions, it says to dial *7 then my mobile phone number...so I did this. Then it just goes to a never ending screen that says "retrieving settings" or something like that....I let it sit like that for an hour and nothing happen. Couldn't even end the GV app. Could not even force a close. Pulled the battery, turned it back on. Now when someone calls my phone and I hang up, it goes to a "busy line" sound. Just a constant beep. People can't leave me voicemails anymore...oops what did I break!? :)

So I just de-activated my number via GV on the web. This got rid of the Busy Signal when people tried to called me and leave a voicemail.

So can anyone provide instructions from scratch? :)

I uninstalled and re-installed GV on my Droid. When I go through the initial setup, it says to make this my voicemail client on my phone, call *7 then my Cell number (it beeps twice then hang up) then I should be good to go. But, it just hangs at the settings screen as I described above.

On the web side, it says in order to activate voicemail on my cell phone, I have to call *7 then my GV number to activate it.

So...which one do I do? OR do I do both?

I feel like I am making this way more complicated then it really is!

And I probably should mention that I have the Verizon Visual Voice Mail App installed and paid and that's what I HAVE been using...although since it sucks I have sent an email to my Verizon tech to have them remove this from my plan asap.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Serialkilla

Reaction score
Go to your GV account on your PC, and at the top of the screen by your screen name, is the GV #, just do the ##7 then that number from your droid, and it should set it up ok. Just add your droid's phone number to the phones list on your home page, and you should be good to go.

Reaction score
Go to your GV account on your PC, and at the top of the screen by your screen name, is the GV #, just do the ##7 then that number from your droid, and it should set it up ok. Just add your droid's phone number to the phones list on your home page, and you should be good to go.

Well as I describe above, I've tried that...and it's not working...

Serialkilla

Reaction score
Hmm... I wish I could be more helpful. I know I tried the set up with my own number at first, and I got the same result - the never ending configuration screen. I also uninstalled the app, re-installed - then tried the code with the GV number - and it worked. Registered my droid number in the VM settings, and it's been working ever since.

Reaction score

Well as I describe above, I've tried that...and it's not working...

Nevermind. It's all working now!

This is sweet...WAY better than Visual Voicemail App...it's not doing a very accurate job transcribing my emails but I still like it.

Serialkilla

Reaction score
Awesome! Glad you got it going! Definitely worth the trouble...lol - yeah, the transcriptions are a bit off, but they're fun to try to decipher once in a while...lol

Agrajag

Reaction score
Odd. I don't remember any of the that process. For me it asked me to dial some New York number on my cell phone and it immediately hung up when I called. That was it. Simple and effective.

The transcriptions are often hilarious but 90% of the time I can get the idea of what the caller was going on about without the need to listen and that's fine for the quick hits. There are entire threads on how bizarre some of them are.

FlipFlops24/7

Reaction score
Im about to try this, but I have 2 questions:

1. Do I have to call Verizon and have them cancel the Visual Voicemail @ $2.99 a month?
2. Do I have to uninstall the built-in Visual Voicemail App?