My VM indicator won't go away

lfloyd87

Reaction score
I have T-mobile with the LG - G2X. I downloaded the T-mobile Visual Voicemail app. I got a voicemail a few days ago. I've extensively listened to and deleted all unwanted voicemails from both the visual voicemail app and by calling my regular voicemail. My voicemail envelope notification icon won't disappear out of my task bar no matter what I do. I've re-gone through every voicemail, tried clearing everything from my task bar numerous times and done a battery pull. It's still there. Any ideas how I can get this to go away??

Thanks.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Have you left yourself a VM, waited a bit and then deleted that VM?

phonetool

Reaction score
I have this same issue- had it for weeks and trying to attack it today. It took me until today to find out what the icon actually was- before today I had no idea what app was trying to put a notification icon in the status bar.

I'm on Droid 1 with Verizon and running CM7 (with all recent Gapps updates- ie: GV0.4.2.36)
I have Google Voice installed, but no voicemail account set up.
I use and have always used Verizon voice mail.
There are no voicemails for me at Verizon.
There are no voicemails for me at google voice (either via the phone or via online)

Leaving myself a message and then listening to it and deleting it does the following:
-the icon says '2' prior to the message
-the icon says '3' while the message is unheard
-the icon says '2' when the message is heard and deleted

Rebooting or battery-out rebooting does not change anything.

There is no 'clear' button on the notification list when I pull the status bar down (when no other notification requires clearing).
There is no voicemail notification in the notification list when I pull the status bar down.
The icon disappears while the status bar is pulled down, but reappears thereafter.

By deactivating the google voice notification setting, I have managed to remove the '2' in the status bar.
The '2' icon RE-APPEARS whenever I open a google app (like Maps).
The '2' icon DISAPPEARS when that app is closed.
I think this seems to show that the issue is with google, and not with Verizon.

I have not tried to get Verizon to clear any 'ghost messages'.
I have not tried activating a google voice number or voicemail for the D1.
I have not tried going backwards with the GV release.

Any comments or ideas would be appreciated. I've found dozens and dozens of threads all across the internet regarding this issue going back two years and continuing to present day. I have yet to find the answer.

Last edited:

phonetool

Reaction score
This evening I've had some success.
The last thing I tried was to remove the indicator for DayWeekBar in the status bar. The vm icon has not returned since then, even after reinstating DayWeekBar.
Hope it stays that way!

I'm still not sure if that's what fixed it, after so many various experiments and reboots. Could be that something just needed some time to reset after being jostled a bit.

- onDroid

phonetool

Reaction score
The indicator plagued me every time I opened a google app. But tonight I've flashed the latest winner build and that seems to have wiped out the spurious notification.

- onDroid

phonetool

Reaction score
This might help someone else at some point-

I found that the indicator setting can be toggled from the Verizon voicemail options menu when you call your voicemail.
Spiffy

- onDroid