visual voicemail

jrl9851

Reaction score
One thing I miss about mu iPhone is visual voicemail. I hate having to enter my password each time I check voicemail. Anyway to get visual voicemail on my Droid?

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i use youmail and it's free in the market. it's so awesome becuz you can check yur mail from yur computer and assign each contact their own greeting. it also has ditchmail for when you want to get rid of certain callers :D

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
visual voicemail costs 2.99 a month. that's why i mention the youmail. it's visual and free:D

Agrajag

Reaction score
Visual Voicemail may come pre-loaded on the Droid but it's a JOKE. Verizon is charging people like $3 a month for this when it's slow, overly basic and redundant on this phone. Just move to Google Voice and be done with it plus you'll get all the power of that option well beyond anything Visual Voicemail offers.

OP
J

jrl9851

Reaction score
I don't understand Google voice. Does it use my current phone number?

TekHawk

Reaction score
I don't understand Google voice. Does it use my current phone number?

once you get a google voice account you can enter a code on your cell to have it overide the VZW voicemail account as well as give you a second number on your cell phone basicly so if you wanted to keep your true cell number for family and use your google voice one for others they all use the same voice mail but the google voice can be switched to DND on the weekend and send all those people to voicemail

google voice does do a good job on translating voicemails to text as well or you can listen to the recording

TekHawk

Reaction score
i got sick of waiting for my invite after like 6 hours >.> so i bought a invite off ebay for 2.99 still lots of people selling them for that much worth the money for sure

Agrajag

Reaction score
Google Voice can be set up any number of ways. It can use any number you want or you can get a number from them. I have both. I have a Google Voice number but I don't use it. I got it just in case I wanted to use it later and it was a good, easy to remember, number.

Go sign up and start playing around. It takes a bit to get all the settings just right but once you do it's pretty slick. Transcribing of my voicemails I love. It's far from perfect but I get the idea of the voicemail without even having to listen to it. VERY efficient. The ability to have custom greetings is nice. Then there's simulring (ring multiple phones at the same time for one call).

You just enter a code on your phone and Google takes over for Verizon for your voicemail.

Like I said be sure to spend some time looking over the settings. Took me a bit, for example, to figure out how to set my rings before answer the way I wanted and to not ask people to identify themselves. The defaults weren't the way I wanted them but it's all kosher now.

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question regarding Google Voice...

Does it screw with minutes? Or do I still get Verizon-to-Verizon calls for free?

I have the bare minimum 450 minutes plan because I talk a lot to Verizon users and those calls of course do not get charged against my minutes. If those same friends were not on Verizon, I would go well over my 450 allotment. If I switched to using my Google Voice number full time, and used my Droid to talk to other Verizon users from the GV account, does that mean it's no longer "Verizon-to-Verizon" and it eats up my minutes?

TekHawk

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question regarding Google Voice...

Does it screw with minutes? Or do I still get Verizon-to-Verizon calls for free?

I have the bare minimum 450 minutes plan because I talk a lot to Verizon users and those calls of course do not get charged against my minutes. If those same friends were not on Verizon, I would go well over my 450 allotment. If I switched to using my Google Voice number full time, and used my Droid to talk to other Verizon users from the GV account, does that mean it's no longer "Verizon-to-Verizon" and it eats up my minutes?

#1 reason i do not have my phone set to use GV on all calls because it dials googles number first so its not a V2V call getting an unlimited plan my self though because i finally started using minutes again lol

Agrajag

Reaction score
That's if you use the Google Voice number on your actual phone for outbound calls. I don't ever bother with that. That doesn't preclude you from using a Google Voice number for people to call INTO.

I suspect the same is likely true in reverse. It's Google so calls into it won't qualify for Verizon to Verizon for people calling you.

As I mentioned above, you don't have to have a Google Voice number to use most of it's features including the visual voicemail piece.