View files from galaxy s3 on a pc?

noslenwerd

Reaction score
I don't know why this isn't an easier process.

I hook my s3 up to my pc with a USB... and it shows up as empty? How can I view these files? Do I need to install some kind of app/program?

Tried searching the forums but found nothing.

JRParsons

Reaction score
Does the pc recognize the phone? And do you have all the drivers installed. I'm able to use windows explorer and see all the files, drag and drop, etc.

OP
N

noslenwerd

Reaction score
PC does recognize the phone... but just shows nothing when i click the device.

How can I tell if drivers are installed?

JRParsons

Reaction score
When you first plugged the phone into the computer (assuming windows) it would have installed some drivers to identify the device and allow it to intergrate and work with the PC. The computer should have done this automatically, but occasionally for whatever reason, the drivers may not install correctly. The can most likely be downloaded from Samsung support. When I pull down the notification on the phone, it says "connected as a media device" does yours do the same. When I pull up "Computer" on the pc it has the various drives (C,D, DVD etc) and SCH-I535 which is the phone. When I click on that, I then get "phone" or "card" to choose from, etc.

I'll state the obvious because sometimes its overlooked. Did you try restarting the phone and the computer?

Support - Verizon Wireless Cell Phones SCH-I535 | Samsung Cell Phones

The last thing that I just thought of is the cable, try the stock cable if your not already using it. I have found that some USB cables will charge only and can not transmit data.

OP
N

noslenwerd

Reaction score
When you first plugged the phone into the computer (assuming windows) it would have installed some drivers to identify the device and allow it to intergrate and work with the PC. The computer should have done this automatically, but occasionally for whatever reason, the drivers may not install correctly. The can most likely be downloaded from Samsung support. When I pull down the notification on the phone, it says "connected as a media device" does yours do the same. When I pull up "Computer" on the pc it has the various drives (C,D, DVD etc) and SCH-I535 which is the phone. When I click on that, I then get "phone" or "card" to choose from, etc.

I'll state the obvious because sometimes its overlooked. Did you try restarting the phone and the computer?

Support - Verizon Wireless Cell Phones SCH-I535 | Samsung Cell Phones

The last thing that I just thought of is the cable, try the stock cable if your not already using it. I have found that some USB cables will charge only and can not transmit data.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I actually was able to view the files right after this post, but now it is not working again. Tried restarting phone and computer multiple times (same computer I viewed files on before).

Now it is showing up empty again. So frustrating :(

generalu

Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed reply. I actually was able to view the files right after this post, but now it is not working again. Tried restarting phone and computer multiple times (same computer I viewed files on before).

Now it is showing up empty again. So frustrating :(

Bring your scroll screen/status screen down (where you can quickly toggle wifi, bluetooth, etc), and if your phone is connected to your PC via usb, there should be a notification under "Ongoing" 'Connected as a media device' - click this, and change it to "Camera (PTP)" - once you click on your phone in windows, you should be able to access the files. Hope that helps.

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
When i had the Rezound each time i would plug my phone into the computer there was a dialog box that automatically popped up asking if i wanted to import the pictures from my phone to the computer. This was convenient because not only would it automatically download the images, it would only download the new images that hadn't been downloaded the last time the phone was plugged in. Thus eliminating duplicate downloads. This never seems to happen with the S3. I always have to search though both the phone and the sd card to download images separatly, and then go back and delete the ones that are duplicates. I don't want to erase them off the phone because that's how i share images with my family by letting them browse my phone on vacations. Do i have a setting that i need to change somewhere?

richtheruler

Reaction score
I have a smiliar problem. I have the S3 coming from a bionic. I have my bionic pictures loaded on my computer, but I cant drag and drop the pics to my S3. Any thoughts?

wcjeep

Reaction score
Never a problem with my phone and computer running Win7 . I also leave USB debugging enabled.

jipdpwnsu

Reaction score
I had a similar issue to above, ensuring the phone was unlocked before plugging it into the pc fixed it for me

Matthias

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung s3
I was looking for this issue as well;
Turned out it was as simple as accessing the menu... ;)
The menu you access by flipping down an overlay from the top of the screen ...

Same menu where you turn on and off wifi, sound, screen rotate...

On that menu is the option re-guarding USB labeled as "Connect as a ......"

Mine was set as a camera... when i changed it to media device then my files were visible via windows 7 explorer (file explorer).