Video: Hands on Moto Droid 2

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
More Motorola goodness from Android and Me......Droiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid

[video=youtube;r1WqaYn-L1M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1WqaYn-L1M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1WqaYn-L1M[/video]

Last edited:

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Just watched this earlier this morning via a link on Facebook. I agree with what the guy said, calling it a refresh of sorts. Basically meaning that it's not a bad phone per se, just not a phone that you would bother upgrading to if you already have a Droid 1. Think of it as the 2.1 update only from a hardware aspect; rather minor. I think it's meant more for people with old phones and whose contracts have reached expiration, OR for the iPhone/Blackberry converts. ;)

This is similar (albeit less impressive) to the new XBOX 360; same console more or less, modified design, improvement on cooling and hardware efficiency, and a few added features. I still think they should have called this something else besides Droid 2. Honestly they could have just kept calling it the Droid but made the model number the A856 or something similar. Save the Droid 2 title for a complete revamp down the road.

techRob

Reaction score
@Sweettooth - I think Droid 2 is fitting. But, i'm also coming from having the "enV2" - the enV3 is similar to the 2, save for having a flash for the camera, and some cosmetic changes IMO (i don't know much about the 3, i lost interest when i decided to move on to the Droid instead). There's enough improvements, and enough similarities to make it "the same phone but better" - not worth an early upgrade. IF this were to be the only Droid n model available come [2yr] upgrade time (read: motoDroid type phone - I don't include "Droid X" on that list...because it's a completely different phone - no keyboard), then I'd be all about it. :) But....realistically, there will be much better come that time (and i may only wait 1yr and pay the extra at that point...who knows). But yea, I think "Droid 2" is a fine and appropriate name for this phone :)

MustangGT500

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
more new things then i thought :

- 1ghz
- 512 mb ram
- 8gb internal
- hdvideo
- new keyboard

but i already wrote in the comments in the youtube vid : he had set the white balance wrong thats why the the colors are so blueish. setting the WB to fluorcent in direct sunlight is some kind of stupid idea. he did the same thing with the pictures. very awkward for androidandme in my opinion.

speckit

Reaction score
[video=youtube;r1WqaYn-L1M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1WqaYn-L1M]YouTube - Hands on the Motorola Droid 2[/video]

WyldRyce

Reaction score
I agree that there's no real reason to upgrade to the Droid 2. Looks like I'll be waiting for the next keyboard Droid phone to come out. (Although the Droid X looks nice, I don't think I can go back to being keyboardless)

silentbob343

Reaction score
I have a Droid 2.
I just dont have that chrome trim on it.
lmao
:D
Really?

You have 512MB of RAM? I wish I did as too many widgets and other background services make my Droid chug even when OC'd. A faster processor can't make up for lack of RAM.

You have 8GB of built in storage for all those apps that don't support App2SD? I've only seen a handful of apps with support for this feature and while I'm sure it will expand as Froyo is made official there has got be a performance hit from running off a slower storage medium for certain apps.

Yours does 1 GHz stock clock that, hopefully, won't chew through battery or create a space heater like my Droid does when OC'd?

You have a camera that doesn't have a 3-5 second delay between taking a picture? I've tried other camera apps and none really make a difference in the processing of the picture, not a deal breaker, but it is annoying.

You have a much more useable keyboard, or at least from early reports? This doesn't matter to me personally as I stick with the virtual keyboard. The only thing you could say about the new one is it will most likely be worse for gamers.

Honestly I typed this with a smile so try not to get too upset. :)

Is it worth dumping your current Droid? Not really, unless you can get in with 0 cash outlay. Is it a better updated/upgraded phone? Yea it is and in several areas at that.