Verizon's Samsung Galaxy Nexus Goes For $50.00 on Amazon

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

amazondeal1.png

Yes you read that right, Verizon's Galaxy Nexus is now on sale at Amazon for $50.00 (new contracts only.) Customer's wishing to upgrade can get the handset for $149.99 on contract. Head on over to Amazon to take advantage of this great deal.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Interesting....still within my 90 return policy at Costco. Hmmm.

butchyon

Reaction score
Unfortunately I, like many others, bought into the hype that the SGN, the first phone with ICS, was gonna be the Holy Grail of all Android phones. Needless to say, it failed miserably.
If you live in an area that has a strong 4G signal, and never plan to travel out of that “safe” zone, you might be able to get by. But if you often spend time in an area that has a spotty 4G signal (like where I work), then the SGN’s software issues with switching back and forth between 4g and 3g will drain your battery in a mere 3 to 4 hours. Tops.
And the ICS 4.04 OTA update that’s supposed to remedy these radio software issues? Here we are FIVE months after the SGN’s release, and STILL no OTA update. Kinda defeats the purpose of even owning a “Nexus”, doesn’t it?
And that neat little desktop cradle which uses the SGN’s side-mounted charging pins that was shown to us in January? Once again, FIVE months later and still no sign of it at Verizon or Samsung.
And the SGN’s 5 MP camera? While it may take “decent” outdoor photos, the pics that it takes indoors are miserable. The HTC One X’s indoor photos that I've seen blows the SGN’s away!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
musclemilk said:
With this and the maxx going on sale....something is coming

I concur.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

patrick72

Reaction score
I had SGN for a week and the lose of data was mind boggling, took it back to BB and got a razr. Been worlds better.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

Reaction score
Its only $50 with a new contract. Its still like $150 with an upgrade on say a family plan. That's really not anything spectacular. If it was $50 when upgrading then yeah that's pretty cool. Its 150 on every site except Verizon's actual site. Wirefly...etc

I am also..getting mixed signals about this phone. More then half the population of people love it. Even more once its rooted and modded, another portion hates them. Is it like a turf war Razr vs Nexus thing or are these phones actually not that good. I heard no middle ground its either AMAZING from some or TERRIBLE from others....

PLUS +...I am allowed an upgrade so lately I have been stuck trying to decide like so many other people.

BlackMill

Reaction score
Unfortunately I, like many others, bought into the hype that the SGN, the first phone with ICS, was gonna be the Holy Grail of all Android phones. Needless to say, it failed miserably.
If you live in an area that has a strong 4G signal, and never plan to travel out of that “safe” zone, you might be able to get by. But if you often spend time in an area that has a spotty 4G signal (like where I work), then the SGN’s software issues with switching back and forth between 4g and 3g will drain your battery in a mere 3 to 4 hours. Tops.
And the ICS 4.04 OTA update that’s supposed to remedy these radio software issues? Here we are FIVE months after the SGN’s release, and STILL no OTA update. Kinda defeats the purpose of even owning a “Nexus”, doesn’t it?
And that neat little desktop cradle which uses the SGN’s side-mounted charging pins that was shown to us in January? Once again, FIVE months later and still no sign of it at Verizon or Samsung.
And the SGN’s 5 MP camera? While it may take “decent” outdoor photos, the pics that it takes indoors are miserable. The HTC One X’s indoor photos that I've seen blows the SGN’s away!

If you don't mind I respectfully disagree with all the points that you, essentially, make. For clarification what I took your overall problems with the Nexus to be were:
-4g/3g draining battery
-Software updates
-Accessories yet to come out and
-Camera quality
Firstly I'd like to say that, as someone who has owned several Verizon 4g phones (Bionic, Charge, Razr, Rezound, and Nexus), 4g/3g go between isn't an issue solely on the Nexus. In fact this issue is on every 4g device and if you look in the sub forums devoted to those specific phones you'll see debates about how to solve this issue. Most people set their phone to function solely on 3g to help with this while others turn off the "mobile network" and use wifi where they can. Doing stuff like this is just a part of owning a smartphone. In addition a phone like the Razr Maxx may have a huge battery and last all day but we have the advantage of swapping batteries. If battery life is so terrible try having a spare battery (it really isn't a hassle). On the topic of updates I don't really have much to say because I don't feel that the update is so important that I need it soon. As for the cradle I also have little to say because I do not feel like I need it. However on the topic of the camera I have to say that this camera is amazing. I used to own a droid 2 which is also 5 megapixels and there is a noticeable quality difference between the two. Not to mention that the other phones that I mentioned owning never took spectacular indoor photos as well. I mean lets be fair here it's a phone not a camera. You also compared it to the HTC One x's picture quality for in-door photos. Where did you see these photos or did you take them yourself? And let's be real here you're comparing an 8mp camera to a 5mp camera. To close I'll just say that out of all the phones I've ever owned the Nexus is by far the nicest.

BlackMill

Reaction score
Its only $50 with a new contract. Its still like $150 with an upgrade on say a family plan. That's really not anything spectacular. If it was $50 when upgrading then yeah that's pretty cool. Its 150 on every site except Verizon's actual site. Wirefly...etc

I am also..getting mixed signals about this phone. More then half the population of people love it. Even more once its rooted and modded, another portion hates them. Is it like a turf war Razr vs Nexus thing or are these phones actually not that good. I heard no middle ground its either AMAZING from some or TERRIBLE from others....

PLUS +...I am allowed an upgrade so lately I have been stuck trying to decide like so many other people.

As someone who has owned both a Razr and Nexus, I say go Nexus. The best advice I can give though is going to the store and trying them both first hand. However the main selling point for me on the Nexus is its responsiveness. It has proved to be the quickest and most reliable phone for me so far. Not to mention the battery is removable should something happen to it.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind I respectfully disagree with all the points that you, essentially, make. For clarification what I took your overall problems with the Nexus to be were:
-4g/3g draining battery
-Software updates
-Accessories yet to come out and
-Camera quality
Firstly I'd like to say that, as someone who has owned several Verizon 4g phones (Bionic, Charge, Razr, Rezound, and Nexus), 4g/3g go between isn't an issue solely on the Nexus. In fact this issue is on every 4g device and if you look in the sub forums devoted to those specific phones you'll see debates about how to solve this issue. Most people set their phone to function solely on 3g to help with this while others turn off the "mobile network" and use wifi where they can. Doing stuff like this is just a part of owning a smartphone. In addition a phone like the Razr Maxx may have a huge battery and last all day but we have the advantage of swapping batteries. If battery life is so terrible try having a spare battery (it really isn't a hassle). On the topic of updates I don't really have much to say because I don't feel that the update is so important that I need it soon. As for the cradle I also have little to say because I do not feel like I need it. However on the topic of the camera I have to say that this camera is amazing. I used to own a droid 2 which is also 5 megapixels and there is a noticeable quality difference between the two. Not to mention that the other phones that I mentioned owning never took spectacular indoor photos as well. I mean lets be fair here it's a phone not a camera. You also compared it to the HTC One x's picture quality for in-door photos. Where did you see these photos or did you take them yourself? And let's be real here you're comparing an 8mp camera to a 5mp camera. To close I'll just say that out of all the phones I've ever owned the Nexus is by far the nicest.

So, basically you're saying his argument is irrelevant because the things that plague him aren't important to you? If I had gotten the Nexus upon the expectation of getting an OTA update to fix the signal issues and didn't have it almost six months later I would be just a bit peeved. As to the battery issue, the MAXX may not have battery access, but it holds as much power as two standard batteries and if you're going through more than that in a day guess you'd just have to make due using a charger. On the camera front is it necessary to dissect every detail of why the experience on the HTC is better? It's not just megapixels that matter, and I've never seen anyone praising the Nexus' camera. Calm yourself and leave your criticisms for people who post baseless replies.

Reaction score
As someone who has owned both a Razr and Nexus, I say go Nexus. The best advice I can give though is going to the store and trying them both first hand. However the main selling point for me on the Nexus is its responsiveness. It has proved to be the quickest and most reliable phone for me so far. Not to mention the battery is removable should something happen to it.

Thanks for the advice. I tried both at the store and of course there all screwed up because everyone touches them and breaks them. I am leaning more toward the nexus though. I just wish i could get to play with a nice one and not one a billion people destroyed on a daily basis.