Verizon's Galaxy S III Comes With Everything You Need Including A Locked Bootloader!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-_0.jpg

Jumping with excitement as I read from the screen of my Galaxy Nexus that the FedEx man had followed the directions that I had left taped to my door and placed my shiny new phone on the back porch, I frantically began to search all over the web for a root method! I had already known that the international Galaxy S3 was easily hackable and was already sporting root and custom recovery. I figured surely Verizon subscribers will see the same sort of thing for their device. Boy was I wrong. I quickly discovered a thread over at XDA filled with lots of disgruntled customers. They were pretty upset that they had been singled out! It appeared as if their devices were the only SGS3s in the world with a locked bootloader! Yes that's right the International version, AT&T, T-mobile, and Sprint versions all have unlocked bootloaders. The Verizon version is the only version to have a protected bootloader.

The other US carrier versions of the SGS3 were pretty easily rooted just by flashing a custom boot.img in ODIN. This method does not work on the Verizon version because Verizon has added a security check, which means we won't be able to flash any unsigned images. This doesn't mean that the crafty development community won't come up with a workaround. In fact they are working on that very thing. Some of the developers who would be responsible for a root method don't even have the device in hand yet and were writing code without a device. I have to believe that someone will solve this issue within the coming days or even better within the coming hours. For more info on the progress being made check the source link.

Via XDA

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Saw this earlier and was like "uh oh, not good"

Big Red and their policies

Caesars

Reaction score
We have candy

With razrs in it
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
this absolutely disgusts me... I mean wtf vzw WHAT THE FRAK!!!

Hopefully we see this kind of BS end in a few years... maybe samsung will release a damn unlock tool... who knows.

blacksoxing

Reaction score
It's because for every cot dang person who can do this stuff right....there are 10 folks who make threads like "I THINK I CRASHED MY PHONE. PLEASE HELPZ!!!!!!!!"

And their thought process is to remedy the situation just enough to where they can send the phone off to Verizon and pass a warranty check.

I'm not naive. Yall shouldn't be either....

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
What I'm feeling right now:

flames21.gif

When I think of the Verizon Execs who came to this decision:

slapperkitty.jpg

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
If its Verizons policy, then why do some phones have unlocked bootloader, or unlockable? Doesnt make much sense to lock down some phones and let others be wide open (Nexus)

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
If its Verizons policy, then why do some phones have unlocked bootloader, or unlockable? Doesnt make much sense to lock down some phones and let others be wide open (Nexus)

As far as the nexus is concerned it wasn't Verizon's call...basically Google set down hard guidelines for them to carry the nexus at all including unlockable bootloader and only "essential" Verizon apps like my Verizon and backup assistant

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
A few articles down on the homepage is this one: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/215524-factory-image-vzws-samsung-galaxy-s3-leaked.html In the image, there is an "Unlock" link. Could that mean that we can unlock our phones of course voiding the warranty, but still unlocking it?

That aside, if it is truly locked and there is no hope for unlocking it, i may return it and leave Verizon. I've had a locked down DroidX for two years and am done with locked bootloaders. I'll go back to AT&T and get me a pretty unlocked one. LTE is barely in my area. Where I work and live, we are on the outskirts of Verizon's LTE signal from Modesto, CA and its pretty slow. I bet its close to AT&Ts HSPA+ speeds. Plus, I have wifi available most everywhere I am at anyways.

champaned_out

Reaction score
well i guess we all know why verizon decided to release the S3 later than other US carriers... too busy locking our phones down...

forum8417

Reaction score
i cant stand verizon. im fed up with their crap. as soon as they get rid of my unlimited data im going to jump ship.

djsiva

Reaction score
A few articles down on the homepage is this one: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/215524-factory-image-vzws-samsung-galaxy-s3-leaked.html In the image, there is an "Unlock" link. Could that mean that we can unlock our phones of course voiding the warranty, but still unlocking it?

That aside, if it is truly locked and there is no hope for unlocking it, i may return it and leave Verizon. I've had a locked down DroidX for two years and am done with locked bootloaders. I'll go back to AT&T and get me a pretty unlocked one. LTE is barely in my area. Where I work and live, we are on the outskirts of Verizon's LTE signal from Modesto, CA and its pretty slow. I bet its close to AT&Ts HSPA+ speeds. Plus, I have wifi available most everywhere I am at anyways.

If you go to that page and look in the drop down list, the I535 isn't listed. Maybe it will be once it "officially" drops. Who knows?

Valvoline

Reaction score
:mad: Grrrr..., Verizon angers me so sometimes. I feel like they have no idea about the devices they sell and the community they sell them to. Purely big brother crap. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that verizon has some underground deal with apple somewhere to keep android from operating to their fullest potential as it was intended.

npro1464

Reaction score
Yeah this pretty much does it for me. I have the pre-order coming in on Monday, but I'm not even going to open it. I'm just going to bring it back to Verizon. I know we can flash through things like bootstrap, but it shouldn't have to be that way. I shouldn't have to settle for that- especially for the last upgrade I'll ever use through Verizon. I've really and truly had it. I'm going GSM pre-paid. I'm sure I'll be happy as a clam with the next iteration of the Nexus, and I won't have to worry about Verizon's bs waiting for my phone to get it's next upgrade. Carriers can go shove it. :icon_ lala: