Verizon Will Charge Customers $10 Per Month to Suspend a Line Voluntarily (Starting April 17th)

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Going 5G shouldn't be as hard as going LTE was. 5G is largely an evolution of the LTE design than a revolution. LTE demanded an entire infrastructure overhaul. Before LTE many towers were backhauled by either standard copper trunk lines or slower point to point microwave bridges. Now, a majority of towers are fiber optic fed. This makes bandwidth increases from tower to tower or tower to central offices much much easier as well as the upper limit on data a single pair of fibers can carry is stupid high (if you want to pay for it.)

What I I find interesting is, that they aren't keeping a military provision. Seriously, unless they are about to come way way way down on their international roaming options, it seems like a slap in the face to overseas members.

It looks like they may have actually kept the Military Suspension, without the $10 fee. Right from their Suspend A Line FAQ page:

If you have a voice device and you receive orders to relocate to a location where Verizon Wireless service is unavailable, you can choose to suspend your line for the period of your relocation or up to 3 years and 90 days. Or, if you prefer, you can terminate your service without paying an Early Termination Fee (ETF).

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
My question is when did Verizon stop doing this before? Until 07 when my youngest was born I used to lead weekly mountain bike rides near Ft Lee and all the military folks I rode with were on AT&T because they didn't charge the fee when they got deployed the way Verizon did after 30 days. In 03 my wife lost her phone,I reported it and they did a "courtesy waive" of the fee to suspend her line since I was a long time, on time paying customer.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

I am pretty sure that I was not charged anything to suspend my phone for a year at a time in '03 - '04 and again in '05 - '06 when I deployed. I was with Verizon and I don't think they charged anything extra.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
This is what I have a SERIOUS problem with. You get deployed for a year, and we still have to pay $120? Pathetic. Really wish there was another cell carrier with as good as coverage as these guys where i'm at. Id leave these lame asses in a heartbeat. Basically saying, o your deployed? Tough ****.

From what I saw on the Verizon website, it looks like there is still a Military Deployment clause. I would think that if you have official Orders and provide them a copy they will still suspend your service without the extra fee, because of the Federal Service Members Civil Relief Act (SCRA). I certainly hope so at least.

Thanks for your service! Go Pens!

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
^ correct^ All of the top four carriers provide this service for military personnel who get deployed. If you're having a problem with a regular Verizon rep who can't, or refuses to help you, don't ask for a supervisor as you'll usually get transferred to another CSR. Instead ask to speak to a tier 2 representative and they'll resolve your issue. And always be polite. This goes for any customer service encounter you have with any company. You're much less likely to get the results you're looking for if you're rude, upset or angry at the customer service rep, or with your situation in general. Kill them with kindness I say, while being persistent, it works everytime.

S5 tap'n

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
^^^^^ Also if you are a contractor and are sent overseas you have the option to suspend your phone and Verizon will not charge you a fee. We did it for the three years my husband was in Afghanistan with no fee. Just had to prove that he was there due to work for the government. We got a letter from his employer and all was waived.