Verizon warning while tethering

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsdreams

Reaction score
The problem isn't the people who tether their phone to one devicee a couple of times a month. The problem is those that use it for multiple devices. Verizon has no way to differentiate these customers, even on a feature phone, due to devices like the routers made by cradlepoint and other manufacturers.

So they have to do something that is equal across the board. People using things like netflix on there Wii combined with multiple computers would be one example of why verizons pricing is the way it is.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
People probably wouldn't mind paying for a tethering plan if it included unlimited data like on the phone. Like anything else when you buy two services you usually get a discount. I can see paying the higher price for just a wireless plan like a mifi or data card but when you have a phone plan which is outragiously overpriced compared to landlines that have high maintenance cost as well but charge a lot less.So give us a tethering plan that is unlimited and cost like $30 more a month and most would be ok with that.

Do you mean a data plan for $30, and then a tethering plan for $30 also? I don't know, I doubt people would pay $60/month for something like that...or do you mean just one $30/month plan that includes both unlimited data and unlimited tethering? While that would be ideal, zero chance of that happening haha

N4UPD

Reaction score
I have one question has anyone been grandfathered in unlimited data from Alltel and Verizon tell you can switch to a verizon device and keep your unlimited alltel data plan? Yhey told me that but too scared to do it for a chance of losing my grandfathered plan.

gsdreams

Reaction score
You can switch to any "3G" data device "not a phone" and keep your unlimited data. I.E. a mifi or five spot or even a netbook. Verizon is not forcing any alltel users to change there plan unless they move to a newer smartphone, then the policy is that vzw can't guarantee functionality of the device. That doesn't apply to data devices though.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

N4UPD

Reaction score
So i could change my Alltel KCP680 data card to a verizon mifi or data card 3G of course and keep my alltel unlimited data plan?

N4UPD

Reaction score
People probably wouldn't mind paying for a tethering plan if it included unlimited data like on the phone. Like anything else when you buy two services you usually get a discount. I can see paying the higher price for just a wireless plan like a mifi or data card but when you have a phone plan which is outragiously overpriced compared to landlines that have high maintenance cost as well but charge a lot less.So give us a tethering plan that is unlimited and cost like $30 more a month and most would be ok with that.

Do you mean a data plan for $30, and then a tethering plan for $30 also? I don't know, I doubt people would pay $60/month for something like that...or do you mean just one $30/month plan that includes both unlimited data and unlimited tethering? While that would be ideal, zero chance of that happening haha
That wouldn't be that bad considering I'm paying $60 a month for home internet then 30 more for internet on my phone. I could save $30 a month by having $30 a month tethering plan on top of data plan. That's $60 vs $90 I'm paying now.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

That wouldn't be that bad considering I'm paying $60 a month for home internet then 30 more for internet on my phone. I could save $30 a month by having $30 a month tethering plan on top of data plan. That's $60 vs $90 I'm paying now.

Yeah that's true. I think the problem will be that VZW has to find a way to completely block any unauthorized tethering. If they can do that, then you're right $60/month would be a viable option, at least for me. I just don't see them offering unlimited tethering like that, because they already have mobile broadband and home broadband, so they're not going to undercut their own services like that.

jonwgee

Reaction score

But could you live with the 3G speed on your PC or other devices? Especially with the generally weaker signal you would be pulling indoors?
Run speedtest.net from your PC, then run it on your phone standing next to your PC

N4UPD

Reaction score

Yeah that's true. I think the problem will be that VZW has to find a way to completely block any unauthorized tethering. If they can do that, then you're right $60/month would be a viable option, at least for me. I just don't see them offering unlimited tethering like that, because they already have mobile broadband and home broadband, so they're not going to undercut their own services like that.
Trouble is with me I live in a rural area and Verizon wireless is all I have for "broadband" no Fios or anything else. Oh well price you pay for living in the country. Don't want satellite internet.

N4UPD

Reaction score

But could you live with the 3G speed on your PC or other devices? Especially with the generally weaker signal you would be pulling indoors?
Run speedtest.net from your PC, then run it on your phone standing next to your PC
I do notice if I tethered it is a bit faster than thru my router with data card inserted.So speed is better from phone than wireless card in a Router.

chaos254

Reaction score
anyone know where i can get pdanet since its no longer on the market? For some reason i dont have it backed up.

crypto

Reaction score
a simple fact a lot of people are overlooking is this.

If you download 5GB of data in a month on your phone it is the exact same as downloading 5GB of data from your laptop tethered to your phone.

Verizon aren't giving you any extra data or bandwidth than they normally would when you use your phone to download stuff normally.
If people have unlimited plans and are tethering their home PC on their phone and downloading massive amounts of data, then yeh that sucks for Verizon....but then they shouldn't be offering unlimited data plans.

Unlimited data is just that....unlimited. Just because they don't expect you to go over a certain amount cos your just on a phone doesn't change the fact you are paying extra for an unlimited plan that has no data cap. You are paying for that convenience. Whether surfing the net on your phone, or surfing the net tethered to your phone, it's all the same for the carrier.
The only difference is how your downloading the data, not the amount of it or how fast.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

If you download 5GB of data in a month on your phone it is the exact same as downloading 5GB of data from your laptop tethered to your phone.

Verizon aren't giving you any extra data or bandwidth than they normally would when you use your phone to download stuff normally.
If people have unlimited plans and are tethering their home PC on their phone and downloading massive amounts of data, then yeh that sucks for Verizon....but then they shouldn't be offering unlimited data plans.

Unlimited data is just that....unlimited. Just because they don't expect you to go over a certain amount cos your just on a phone doesn't change the fact you are paying extra for an unlimited plan that has no data cap. You are paying for that convenience. Whether surfing the net on your phone, or surfing the net tethered to your phone, it's all the same for the carrier.
The only difference is how your downloading the data, not the amount of it or how fast.

I don't get how this logic is sound but "its against my tos and I agreed to that" isn't. Go figure I guess...

crypto

Reaction score

I don't get how this logic is sound but "its against my tos and I agreed to that" isn't. Go figure I guess...

My problem is with carriers even charging people in the first place for tethering. They are taking money and doing nothing in return.
Because of that I'll continue to tether and violate that part of my TOS. Out of sheer principle i refuse to pay Verizon money for doing nothing. I was able to tether charge free on my old crappy WM6.5 phone but as soon as i got a Droid X all of a sudden I'm expected to pay for this imaginary service?

Yes, i agree people should stick to their TOS that they signed and agreed to. From a totally "legal" standpoint that the right thing to do.
However I personally don't care about that section of the TOS. I consider it totally ridiculous and will never pay Verizon any money just so i can do something i should be free to do in the first place.
If they decide to break my contract because of that then that's fine by me and I'll take my business elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.