Verizon warning while tethering

Status
Not open for further replies.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
a simple fact a lot of people are overlooking is this.

If you download 5GB of data in a month on your phone it is the exact same as downloading 5GB of data from your laptop tethered to your phone.

Verizon aren't giving you any extra data or bandwidth than they normally would when you use your phone to download stuff normally.
If people have unlimited plans and are tethering their home PC on their phone and downloading massive amounts of data, then yeh that sucks for Verizon....but then they shouldn't be offering unlimited data plans.

Unlimited data is just that....unlimited. Just because they don't expect you to go over a certain amount cos your just on a phone doesn't change the fact you are paying extra for an unlimited plan that has no data cap. You are paying for that convenience. Whether surfing the net on your phone, or surfing the net tethered to your phone, it's all the same for the carrier.
The only difference is how your downloading the data, not the amount of it or how fast.

I don't get how this logic is sound but "its against my tos and I agreed to that" isn't. Go figure I guess...

My problem is with carriers even charging people in the first place for tethering. They are taking money and doing nothing in return.
Because of that I'll continue to tether and violate that part of my TOS. Out of sheer principle i refuse to pay Verizon money for doing nothing. I was able to tether charge free on my old crappy WM6.5 phone but as soon as i got a Droid X all of a sudden I'm expected to pay for this imaginary service?

Yes, i agree people should stick to their TOS that they signed and agreed to. From a totally "legal" standpoint that the right thing to do.
However I personally don't care about that section of the TOS. I consider it totally ridiculous and will never pay Verizon any money just so i can do something i should be free to do in the first place.
If they decide to break my contract because of that then that's fine by me and I'll take my business elsewhere.

Yeah I know what you mean and I respect what you're saying, just pointing out that you have no leg to stand on and verizon has every right to do what your doing...but it appears you understand that.

crypto

Reaction score
I don't get how this logic is sound but "its against my tos and I agreed to that" isn't. Go figure I guess...

My problem is with carriers even charging people in the first place for tethering. They are taking money and doing nothing in return.
Because of that I'll continue to tether and violate that part of my TOS. Out of sheer principle i refuse to pay Verizon money for doing nothing. I was able to tether charge free on my old crappy WM6.5 phone but as soon as i got a Droid X all of a sudden I'm expected to pay for this imaginary service?

Yes, i agree people should stick to their TOS that they signed and agreed to. From a totally "legal" standpoint that the right thing to do.
However I personally don't care about that section of the TOS. I consider it totally ridiculous and will never pay Verizon any money just so i can do something i should be free to do in the first place.
If they decide to break my contract because of that then that's fine by me and I'll take my business elsewhere.

Yeah I know what you mean and I respect what you're saying, just pointing out that you have no leg to stand on and verizon has every right to do what your doing...but it appears you understand that.

most definitely. From any legal way of looking at it Verizon has every right to enforce their TOS, and cut people off if they tether and don't pay for it.

My argument is all about fact they shouldn't be charging people in the first place.

freezyfreaky

Reaction score

If you download 5GB of data in a month on your phone it is the exact same as downloading 5GB of data from your laptop tethered to your phone.

Verizon aren't giving you any extra data or bandwidth than they normally would when you use your phone to download stuff normally.
If people have unlimited plans and are tethering their home PC on their phone and downloading massive amounts of data, then yeh that sucks for Verizon....but then they shouldn't be offering unlimited data plans.

Unlimited data is just that....unlimited. Just because they don't expect you to go over a certain amount cos your just on a phone doesn't change the fact you are paying extra for an unlimited plan that has no data cap. You are paying for that convenience. Whether surfing the net on your phone, or surfing the net tethered to your phone, it's all the same for the carrier.
The only difference is how your downloading the data, not the amount of it or how fast.

Unfortunately, that's not how Verizon offers their unlimited data plan. Don't worry about unlimited data though. It will be gone soon enough and there will be people wishing they had unlimited data plan sans tethering back.

crypto

Reaction score

Unfortunately, that's not how Verizon offers their unlimited data plan. Don't worry about unlimited data though. It will be gone soon enough and there will be people wishing they had unlimited data plan sans tethering back.

Yeh that's gonna be coming pretty soon i think.
I'm actually pretty lucky. I was grandfathered in from Alltel so I'm still rocking their old plan of unlimited data and texting plus a bunch of minutes for significantly cheaper than the equivalent Verizon plan :)

freezyfreaky

Reaction score

Yeh that's gonna be coming pretty soon i think.
I'm actually pretty lucky. I was grandfathered in from Alltel so I'm still rocking their old plan of unlimited data and texting plus a bunch of minutes for significantly cheaper than the equivalent Verizon plan :)

That's great! Here's to hoping you get that plan carried over to 4G but I don't think Verizon is going to allow that. :(

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.