Verizon, Sprint & AT&T Respond to T-Mobile's New 'Un-Carrier' Attack

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
You right except for the fact that Google is changing the game. If I can go to the Google play store and get solid high end devices at 300 bucks then grabbing a smart phone from Google and paying month to month and when a carrier starts giving you crap

But that's my point...people's contracts come up and they are free to go anywhere, with a subsidized phone for $200 or even free - and still VZW only loses <2% of their customers. It makes 0 sense to me that people are going to pay MORE for an unlocked phone just to have the option to leave month-to-month when 98% of their customers re-up anyway.

skennelly

Reaction score
But that's my point...people's contracts come up and they are free to go anywhere, with a subsidized phone for $200 or even free - and still VZW only loses <2% of their customers. It makes 0 sense to me that people are going to pay MORE for an unlocked phone just to have the option to leave month-to-month when 98% of their customers re-up anyway.

That's true. However, imo that's because we consumers have been conditioned to buy cell phones this way. It will take time, but this will become the norm. I think you will see the subsidized phones from all carriers go away very soon. Especially if t-mo has the slightest success.

What people fail to realize is that every carrier is already doing what t-mo plans to. You pay $100-$300 up front for your phone and then $20 of your monthly bill pays the difference. The only difference is now t-mo is being honest about it. When your phone is paid for, your bill decreases. Someone who upgrades their phone every 4 years (and yes there are people who that) gets screwed traditionally because they pay an extra $440 for a phone that they never purchased.

hotice

Reaction score
Verizon's respone was not thought out very well. Tmobile offers lower monthly payments if you buy the phone out right. Verizon does not so their offer isn't comparable to what Tmobile is doing.

I love Verizon's raw coverage area and their building penetration.

jseah

Reaction score
Verizon's respone was not thought out very well. Tmobile offers lower monthly payments if you buy the phone out right. Verizon does not so their offer isn't comparable to what Tmobile is doing.

I love Verizon's raw coverage area and their building penetration.

TMobile is offering 0% financing (the example on the website shows paying a down payment of $70 for a Galaxy S3 plus $20 per month over the next 24 months for a total of $550), but if you read the fine print, it says "on approved credit" for "well qualified buyers". Considering the makeup of many of T-Mobile customers, how many do you think would actually qualify?

firefox249

Reaction score
When my VZW contract is up, I'll be switching. I might be tempted to drop them early and tell them to 'pack sand' and break the contract without paying the ETF. I can even live with 3g for a while.

Reaction score
I like Verizon t mobile is awful. They have mostly G coverage in my state

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums