Verizon Plans to Stop Unsanctioned Tethering that Uses Unofficial Apps

Wonmotyme

Reaction score
- I am rooted and I have the ability to "illegally" tether but it goes against the person I am. Do I feel an injustice exist, yes to an extent. Yet, I can't complain because i made the choice to stay with Verizon.
- plain and simple, we as consumers do have the power but those that view this as wrong go about it the wrong way. Rather than turning yourself into the villain become the hero turn around walk away into the arms of another service provider.
- do you think uncle Sam really cares if a company charges double for something that is considered 2 different services? Heck he himself double charges us all time but list it as local/state/federal and income taxing.
- I added unlimited tethering to my plan and it is in place of an ISP. So, I will average at least 120Gb a month. Is that right/wrong should i feel guilty or not. Have not really decided for myself yet. I do know that if I did this "illegally" to ME it is wrong because i have now gone against the contract I've signed and I would BE guilty

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Okay... where is our mob meeting at? I'm going to get my torch and pitchfork out of storage. This "Edit Button Revolt" needs to happen.

I'm on my way out the door now to stock us up on "5 Hour Energy" shots to keep the revolt going, even times when we appear to be sluggish.

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
This is just going to end in case law. Sooner or later verizon will f with a lawyer who knows whats up, he or she will then sue verizon with this easy win and establish precedent for this.

Sent from my DROID3

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Well, in the 2 years I've had Verizon (Droid 1, X2) I've probably only tethered 5 times...and that's just to load a few sites like this, xda, engadget, etc. Maybe a short youtube video if I really don't feel like watching it on my phone. Just last month I tethered 2 times, and nothing has been said to me or included in the bill.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Well, in the 2 years I've had Verizon (Droid 1, X2) I've probably only tethered 5 times...and that's just to load a few sites like this, xda, engadget, etc. Maybe a short youtube video if I really don't feel like watching it on my phone. Just last month I tethered 2 times, and nothing has been said to me or included in the bill.
Dang this was supposed to be a few pages back where you guys said it was just scare tactics. Me and forgetting to check what page I'm on!

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Oh well...guess if that happens it's a good time for me to start learning how to write an app....then build it for myself without public knowledge. Guess it would be hard for them to pinpoint exactly what yak.apk actually does

Sent from my BURNTH3ORYX using DroidForums

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh well...guess if that happens it's a good time for me to start learning how to write an app....then build it for myself without public knowledge. Guess it would be hard for them to pinpoint exactly what yak.apk actually does

The Yak app, doesn't that keep track of the cycle of milking your very own Yak.

GBH2

Reaction score
No it keeps track of how many times I get milked

Verizon wants to milk us for all they can. They want to put a stop to any unauthorized milking unless, of course, they are doing the milking. :)

azdrifter

Reaction score
No Surprise !

Well it comes as no surprise,..I mean really it's all about money and the phone companies feel that it is their right since it is their service that is being used.Of course they could come up with a better plan for those of us who do use the tethering I think that $20 a month for a service that I may use for about 1gig a month is really inconceivable,..so i will still use it because I know that the great minds behind the droid development and it's users will find a way around it. So Verizon & At&t wake up and make it reasonable for those of us who use it and realize you can't stop progress and technology will move forward ! :D

Blacksantron

Reaction score
Forgive me if i'm wrong but isn't it the case that with contracts you sign you can initial the lines of the contact you don't agree with? Then it goes to some form of meditation to come to agreed terms? Maybe times of contract law have changed in the 20 years since I studied it.

Also, hell, sometimes I can't even download a file onto my phone with its browser for whatever reason so I tether to my laptop and download the file no problem.

Ralph Nader, Ron Paul, Jesse Ventura! Get on the case!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Blacksantron

Reaction score
Also... I just wasted 2megs to download the My Verizon app so I can monitor my data usage. I want my 2megs back

Blacksantron

Reaction score
Seriously.. When we sign this TOS it's an electronic card swipe box where we have no opportunity to even review the terms. The rep just says "sign in that box." Kinda have ya over a barrel. Then after it's all signed we find out that we have no recourse.

Just reviewed the My Verizon app... I don't care about those 2 megs. I'm a heavy hitter.
The commercials say use Netflix and YouTube and all that.... I do. Now they want to charge me frivolous amounts? Native tech.

I know i'm not supposed to get political but it's so obvious... Those that say the company is right in making a buck by any means or defend their right to do so behind this pseudo-contract on a swipe box at the register are sooooooo GOP.

Sorry...